finished my header finally!!

that is a very nice looking peice.

looks like very good craftsmanship as well.

good looking welds too.

haulin, thanks

Sfp, the stock manifold is not made of stainless and they last pretty long ( im not exactly sure what material they are. I would guess m/s but you never know what could be added to the steel to make it stronger.

i wonder if schedule 40 M/S would hold up to the heat?

It should be fine. I've seen many turbo headers made out of exhaust tubing and even that works ok. I would personally use something thicker than exhaust tube for longevity/durability however...

yeah, im sure the stainless would be better material, but its expensive and i dont have a TIG machine or even a spool gun for my wire feed unit, i saw one built for a D-max out of schedule 110 M/S, would that work better? im just worried about the heat melting through it or something

You don't need a spool gun for a wire feed unit to weld stainless.

fjbiker, nice looking manifold. I've been wanting to build something similar, I just can't seem to take the truck down long enough to get it built.

Mondtster, I was in a similar situation. Harvey from j&h diesel actually let me have an old manifold and I used that to make a jig. Thanks Harvey!!

smoked, thanks! question for you, im guessing your a mechanic judging by your title but in your sig you have a miller welder and bottles..Do you do welding as well? like pipe or structural?

smoked, thanks! question for you, im guessing your a mechanic judging by your title but in your sig you have a miller welder and bottles..Do you do welding as well? like pipe or structural?

i am a heavy equipment mechanic, i have to weld quite alot but its more along the lines of frame cracks etc, also do line boring for pin bores, i do fabricate some of my own stuff like traction bars and exhaust systems but i dont think i could build a header like yours, i have a lincoln 255a in the garage, but i dont know how to tig. I run 7018 stick on the big equipment.:Cheer:

update, I got each cylinder completely bolted down then when I went to tighten up the turbo bolts it wouldnt seal all the way. There is about a 1/16" gap on one corner. The darn thing pulled when I finished welding it!!!! So I took it back off and now ive got some bending to do. The turbo flange is no longer square with the head. If theres anything that can go wrong, it will go wrong.

That thing looks great! Ive been tossing around the idea of tigging one up for the fummins project Im glad you posted pics.

finish the header!

Take it to your local machine shop and the flanges surfaced to be completely planar, same for the turbo inlet flange

you should have basically no issue installing it then

update, I got each cylinder completely bolted down then when I went to tighten up the turbo bolts it wouldnt seal all the way. There is about a 1/16" gap on one corner. The darn thing pulled when I finished welding it!!!! So I took it back off and now ive got some bending to do. The turbo flange is no longer square with the head. If theres anything that can go wrong, it will go wrong.

I had a header like this, not as complex it looked more like the manifold. If your having problems now, wait untill it goes through a few heat cycles.

Not to sound negative but this will warp, and crack no way around it.

Were the lengths of the tubes thought out or is that just how it all worked out?

It looks good though, nice work.

make one for a 12v and u got a customer

There is one available for 12v's Jefferson State Diesel makes it

Yours looks really good man! I would do like they suggeste and just have it planed flat, they you should have no sealing issues.

Attachments

• Jefferson St. Header.jpg
    Jefferson St. Header.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 68
Hurley, I was going to do something similar but when I got it on my table the tubes actually shifted which made one side of the flange lower then the other. I would have to grind off a lot so im going to cut the flange off, trim one tube going to the flange and reweld it.

fullpull, we will see. 1600*F is much different then about 10,000*F at the torch. Im sure it will move some but not like when its being welded( I hope). Length wise, I pretty much did what I could to keep it in the stock location. They may not be equal length but they are each in the ideal length for turbo headers.

Mudden, on the jefferson state header is that a t4 flange? Anymore pics?

looks awesome! if it ever ended up just not working, you could still just hang it on the wall in the garage and call it art because it looks so good.

Back