Firering Brands/ Different Qualities?

Powerwagon64

Hello.
Thanks for looking at my post.

I am thinking of fire ringing my head over o-ringing it.

I have been getting some input that fire rings have come a long way and are getting better for longevity on a daily driver.
My question is:
Is there different brands of firerings and different qualities.
Are there any that may be better for a daily driver?
Have fire ring qualities / longevity improved for a daily driver?

Thanks for your valuable input!!

Just o-ring it and call it good. They'll hold anything you throw at it.

To be honest this kind of topic is really an opinion based information ... some say one thing some say others...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

im interested to know how you get along with fire ringing your head. can someone tell me the difference between fire ringing and oring a head is?

i know the fire ring is just a stainless wire that is cut into the head.
not sure about the o-ring.

Fire ringing removes the factory ring in the headgasket and is replaced by a ring set into the head, block, or both. Oringing the head is wire set into a machined groove in the head which presses down hard on the factory ring in the headgasket. You can oring the head, block and I think both, but have not seen that.

i know the fire ring is just a stainless wire that is cut into the head.
not sure about the o-ring.

im interested to know how you get along with fire ringing your head. can someone tell me the difference between fire ringing and oring a head is?

Search. This topic has been brought up a lot recently and like Laramie said, its a personal feeling thing.

Everyone Has One.

To be honest this kind of topic is really an opinion based information ... some say one thing some say others...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thanks and good point.
Was wondering if there were any real engineering changes to fire rings lately regarding there performance with multiple heat cycles.
Thanks.

Interested

I wont have results with my head sealing issue for months.
In a nice way, I suggest you start your own thread with your questions, please.

There is a lot of variables other than just o ringed or not. Some trucks will hold 100 psi while others may blow at 65 psi.

Now Look What Youve Done : )

There is a lot of variables other than just o ringed or not. Some trucks will hold 100 psi while others may blow at 65 psi.

Easy now you will get me more off track and confused about Diesel Performance then I already am.LOL

Just wanna know if fire rings have been improved for multiple heat cycles, better for a DD then they used to be.
Is there different brands of fire rings and different qualities.
Are there any that may be better for a daily driver?
Have fire ring qualities / longevity improved for a daily driver?

Last edited:
Easy now you will get me more off track and confused about Diesel Performance then I already am.LOL

Just wanna know if fire rings have been improved for multiple heat cycles, better for a DD then they used to be.

Haha sorry about that. I don't think the materials used have been improved, I think people are noticing a trend with broken fire rings and are changing the way they machine them. It seems to me if you only fire ring the head OR block they tend to break more often with heat cycles, than they do if you machine the block and head. When you machine the block and head the machining depth is split between the two, thus they interlock much better.

Afaik no they haven't and its still the general consensus that orings are better for a daily driver.

KEWL

Haha sorry about that. I don't think the materials used have been improved, I think people are noticing a trend with broken fire rings and are changing the way they machine them. It seems to me if you only fire ring the head OR block they tend to break more often with heat cycles, than they do if you machine the block and head. When you machine the block and head the machining depth is split between the two, thus they interlock much better.

Thanks for that informative and educating answer!!:woohoo:
That's not confusing to me at all : ):cheer:

Update.

Afaik no they haven't and its still the general consensus that orings are better for a daily driver.

Thanks for your input on the fire rings and that they have not changed in design / ways that would make them any better now then they used to be for a DD as they are the same ol same ol, best for the track.
Thanks.:Cheer:

On my P-pump 24v I have had the head and block both o-ring'ed(I'll see if I can dig up a pic)... I like the fact that I can just replace the head gasket with a regular head gasket if it ever fails, Cheaply...

I'd hate to have to have $300 into fire rings(or specialty head gasket) every time I had a failure... My truck sees 85lbs of boost pretty much daily, no issues so far... I usually only run about 18-22* of timing so cylinder pressures aren't super high. I also can't generate a huge advance in timing at low RPM like you VP guys. most gasket failures I see around me are due to drive pressures...