First post First Gen buildup

Kush42

Hello this is my first post and been a long fan of the cummins new to this forum and figured id introduce myself. i just acquired a 1990 1st gen d250 with a nv4500 swapped into it. its 2wd and non intercooled bone stock and very clean frame still has factory marks and black paint no rust. starting parts aquisition have been diesel mechanic for 8 years and know my way around a thing or two. have idea of what im going for in mind and wanted to run it past some of you good folks that have some pretty great threads on this forum.
Goal out of truck is 800-1000 hp range.

First thing im attending to is air flow and temperatures of things first install parts as follows:
Snow Performance Water Meth Kit Stage 3
Stuck Between Searco intercooler and banks technicooler up for suggestions(goal 80-90 PSI boost eventually) needs to hold up to high psi
3 piece Either HTT Exh manifold or ATS Exh manifold Sugg?
New intake to move inlet from over engine to down driver side for intercooler piping
Air Dog 150Gph lift pump with dual filter and regulator
Hamilton cam Agressive 188/220 or hamilton Cam Puller 200/220
60LB HD Valve Springs
Billet valve retainers
Hamilton Extreme Duty Push Rods
Oversize fuel lines from pump to nozzles
also biggest thing i want personal input on is compound setup i have done lots of reading on this forum on the subject and would like some input on these setups and any recs regarding? old school hx35/ht3b or S362/S475 or like a ats twin setup? price isnt concern just final outcome dont want cheap parts needs to last dd
Full fire ring set on block and head 14mm ARP head studs
Port polished head
Desert Radiator High Capacity
Billet rebuild and upgraded internals of NV4500 once time comes already has south bend clutch never an issue with contact
Also ARB Air locker for Rear Diff with 3.73 Gears
Ve pump will be built once all parts aquired and build starts. if it cant hang p pump will be installed.
she will be a sleeper street queen to an extent:hehe:
also was wondering about NOS setups? never really messed around with nitrous on a diesel only gas so is do you get your bag for your buck or is propane or cng better?

Im sure i forgot a couple things but will address later got the just out there. First High HP Build up from ground so wanna make sure im on the right path from get go ya know? Any thing worth doing worth doing right the first time.
Thank you all in advance look forward to responses.
Also Fabrication wiring etc not a problem

Last edited:
For now . . .

- Go to a better set of valve-springs.
-Skip the over sized injector feed lines. The VE will never move enough fuel to justify the cost, let alone the issues they may cause.
- The Extreme duty push-rods might be overkill for the 188/220.
- Skip the pro-pain and CNG.
- O-rings instead of fire-rings.

You haven't said what injectors you plan on running. That will have a big say in what chargers you run.

If you're looking big power right off, skip the VE all together and run a pee-pump.

* The VE won't fuel to the higher engine rpms that the pee-pump will. With that, what IP you run might dictate the valve-train stuff you end up with.

. . . . so say the voices.

Last edited:
Yea and maybe some tranny upgrades like welding the nut so the 5th gear does not fall off!

800-1000hp is a very big goal from a ve pump. Guys a
are spraying the snot out of ve motors to get in the 800s with tons of custom parts. Like what's already been said if that's absolutely what you want start with a p pump or you are going to spend money twice.

well in regards to fuel that answers my question i heard mixed emoitions when it came to ve pump and higher rpm and hp and that jus conferms it. im going to just go with the p pum and as for the nozzles either POD 150 or something along the lines Recommendations? thanks for the input
(( BC847 Respect)) ur voices sound on the ball
Really want some user experience in regards to nozzles/injectors want the reliablity and real world results as far as performance addition.
some brands say get this much when in reality not even close. wanna avoid buying something not needed or worthless for that matter.

also the cam im looking into either the 188/220 or 200/220 leaning more to the 200/220 just because of the power im going for help move lil bit more air and fuel.

also really only heard of fire rings whats the difference? power capabilites, Reliablity?

Tranny getting a full work up at same time to check on south bend already installed along with regear fifth and will look into welding that or see if i cant find another route like utilizing two or 3 piece nut to retain 5th so can be removed again if needed. thx for input

will be re gearing and installing air locker in rear along with new bearings and components.

that was one of my main reasons for this thread was to clear the air in regards to ve and p pump because i have heard mixed things and all your input just verifys my thinking i should just scrap ve and buy the p pump.
with that said i have been looking at industrial injection Dragon Flow P Pump any reviews on that??? Recommendations.

Thank you again for responses much appreciated will post pics soon of the truck that will be recieving this bunch of fun.:woohoo:

Looks like I'll be keeping my VE record for now :)

800-1000 in a first gen? That'll never work.

No on POD injectors, there are much better. Buy a used p-pump and send it to Seth @ DPE. You need to do some reading on here, all the info you need to get started is in here.

Just keep it simple and basic.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 0
well thanks for the input gents :thankyou2: ill keep posted as i go ill continue my search over threads and will get it worked out only dyno close is SLC UT so hopefully be seein what shes got next cinco de dyno :aiwebs_026:
JQmile nice truck very very nice and yes i dont think im sticking with VE this go but theres always next time
and poor ronA got a little different ideas in mind always take advice but need too try a lil something new the KISS method has always worked in the past and if its not broke dont fix it just do a lil improving here and there:evil
good lookin diesel importer still in a process of moving will have pics this weekend beauty of a truck i would say the paint is well aged like wine hahaha

I guess I can always serve as a bad example to others. :rockwoot:
Jason.
You shooting for fuel only numbers now? Are you going to Redding?

knew what? Rona doin it wrong? because this will be to the point:rockwoot:

im doin it wrong? i was lookin for advice on parts and recomendations if thats to much then don worry about it because youll see for sure senior haters gon hate

Back