Flames coming out of the stack.

DieselAddiction

Need to find an answer to the problem. What causes flames to come anywhere from 6-12 inches out the top of my stack when I am pulling :badidea: , besides 'IT'S HOT'. :ft:
Is it fuel additive, too much additive, just way too much fuel?? I really do not smoke that much going down the track, just a bit more than a haze. Anyone experience this and know how to get rid of it. I know Sleddy's truck used to do this.

Thanks

I have heard of Stucky racing blowing flames out of their stacks and they were using alot of additive, not for sure but its what I have heard. :ft:

Additives do it, a guy around here constantly has a flame about 12-18 inches high. But he's spraying a healthy dose as well.

RedDye said:
I have heard of Stucky racing blowing flames out of their stacks and they were using alot of additive, not for sure but its what I have heard. :ft:

TS and Garmon have done it too... that additive would be Nitrous.
What setup are you running (timing, injectors, pump mods, etc?)

My truck was always underfueled, and as the season wore on that token 5 gal of Diesel in tank turned to more and more cetane booster. It had a nice glow to it-from 02 to present, as it is still pulling, never had the head off!!
LOL

The droplet size on the injectors is so big, that liquid fuel exits the exhaust valves and continues to vaporize, then the vapors burn. High RPM can do the same, even with smaller droplets.

Liquids don't burn, only gases can burn. That's why only the top of a jar of gasoline burns instead of it exploding.

Solution? More fuel pressure, more holes, or (dangerous) more combustion temperature.

I will trade you my "no flame" setup for yours, I think it looks cool :hehe:

Do you run L/C DV's, they fuel late and I have seen them cause this too.

Jim

I kinda like it! That's a good way to clean the soot out of the exhaust system

Timbeaux38 said:
TS and Garmon have done it too... that additive would be Nitrous.
What setup are you running (timing, injectors, pump mods, etc?)

MY setup is
2003 dodge
Origional Smarty, TST(timing turned off, add a little pressure), HTT SS 64/13, stock injectors, stock cp3, AFE intake, no muffler, Diesel Power Additive (just dumped some in, little over what bottle recommended, but it i just estimated fuel left in tank and guestimated the amount to add, never measured anything.
This was my first year at trying some pulling, and I did a lot better than I thought I would. Problem is truck ran so much better than thought that people think I have a lot more done to the truck than I do. And the flame makes people wonder what was done to the truck. I also wonder what damage it is doing to the truck. I had to take the head off last fall because I dropped a valve seat and a couple more were loose. I am sure the flamming had a little to do with that.

If it is cetane, than how much can I add and try to control the flame, heat. What kind of damage am I doing. I still use this truck as a daily driver( not a s much now that I got my VW TDI at 50-52mpg :rockwoot: )/ and pull enclosed trailer.

Thats just you truck going into Regen....its normal. LOL Or maybe you have a new Powerstroke and don't know it?

DieselAddiction said:
MY setup is
2003 dodge
Origional Smarty, TST(timing turned off, add a little pressure), HTT SS 64/13, stock injectors, stock cp3, AFE intake, no muffler, Diesel Power Additive (just dumped some in, little over what bottle recommended, but it i just estimated fuel left in tank and guestimated the amount to add, never measured anything.
This was my first year at trying some pulling, and I did a lot better than I thought I would. Problem is truck ran so much better than thought that people think I have a lot more done to the truck than I do. And the flame makes people wonder what was done to the truck. I also wonder what damage it is doing to the truck. I had to take the head off last fall because I dropped a valve seat and a couple more were loose. I am sure the flamming had a little to do with that.

If it is cetane, than how much can I add and try to control the flame, heat. What kind of damage am I doing. I still use this truck as a daily driver( not a s much now that I got my VW TDI at 50-52mpg :rockwoot: )/ and pull enclosed trailer.

Try advancing the timing. I can't imagine getting flames out the pipe with stock sticks. Something is odd. Could you be running so much duration, and so little timing that you're pumping fuel out the exhaust valve?

How high are your EGT's?

I am sure the pyro is pegged. I am still new to this, so I forget to try and check my gauges out. I did get to look at the boost, and rpms once but forgot to check the pyro a few times. I have been able to keep it just over 3000 rpm going down the track. If it was lots of extra fuel shouldn't I have a lot more black smoke. Like I said, smoke is minimal compared to other pulling trucks.
If I have more timing it seems to get some knocking thats why I just play it safe and turn timing off on the TST. I still have some tuning/playing around with settings to get it dialed in, but it's gonna take some time.

mine didnt throw fire???
i wonder what was different??????

his truck runs dang good for the first year

i think you need some water :)