Flames coming out of the stack.

i was always told that if you have an orange flame during a hard pull, its tuned really good. thats how a lot of the semi pullers tune thier trucks.

Ok if you do not haul a load of hay!LOL
Flame on! Edge truck does it heavy.:pop: :ft:

I like it!:rockwoot:
Man I wish we had pulls around here!

A brief explaination.............

It's all timing really... I have a 94 with stock everthing except 15*, 3k gsk, 191's, a custom fuel plate, and no afc. And I can shoot a FLAME on command anywhere above 2500 rpm.... Egts are never over 1300..... The fuel is still burning as its exiting the exhaust valve. If you start the combustion process sooner it will not be burning as far back in the exhaust system. Cetane would cause this, because CETANE allows diesel fuel to burn HOTTER and SLOWER......................

Man I still don't know what to think about it. Wish I had a definate answer to go by, but in the meantime keep any thoughts coming.
Thanks

what makes me even more nervous... is the valve seats. i have an 03 and geeez this gives me nightmares!!!

It is timing. Josh(teddy bear's) truck would glow a good flame at 20* timing last year. We bumped it up to 25* and it got the EGT down some, and lost the flame it had.

My truck with only 337hp will glow a flame out of the stack on a hard 3rd gear run in the higher RPM's. EGT's are pegged on 1500* when it does it. I wanna see it when i get my New Era 370's in.

Eric

It's all timing really... I have a 94 with stock everthing except 15*, 3k gsk, 191's, a custom fuel plate, and no afc. And I can shoot a FLAME on command anywhere above 2500 rpm.... Egts are never over 1300..... The fuel is still burning as its exiting the exhaust valve. If you start the combustion process sooner it will not be burning as far back in the exhaust system. Cetane would cause this, because CETANE allows diesel fuel to burn HOTTER and SLOWER......................

a higher cetane number will burn faster, its the opposite of gasoline
$.02

take a look at any prostock tractor that is tuned properly and they all have a 12-18" flame in broad daylight.

This is with heavy water injection as well.

So your choices are timing and fuel, cuz prostocks aint allowed additives, nor N2O nor anything else.

My guess is the excess fuel u be pumpin thru the motor is still hot enough to be igniting in the exhaust just as it is hittin fresh air - jus like a well tuned gasser.

Mine will do it with the tst on 9x9 smarty on 9, but if i turn down the tst to 4x1 where it normally is it won't. It's gotta be timing. and unburned fuel.