for you monster vp users...

Jakey's'01H.O.

Whos street driving a stage 3? Stage two with stock head and stock cam 64/76 compounds it ran great, but i want to step up to a 3 with my build, ported and side intake. Any help guys? Much appreciated

I think he would lose spool-up if he mills the intake and does a full port job. I'd keep the intake and just do a mild port(intake bowls and exhaust bowls/runners).

Good luck getting a stage3, last I time I talked to MPMike he said he wasn't making the stage3 anymore and there are not that many floating around anymore cause he has been swapping the billet cam out for the standard vp cam. Also I would like to hear the opinions about the milled head and spool up that above^ people stated would harm spool up? If a person doesn't get crazy and throw on super large and lazy chargers I have a hard time believing that it will spool "slower"!

I want to know what kind of power ^THIS^ 02 is making. Do you race any? That sounds like an insane setup.

Talked at length with Mike today since were picking up a Monster Pump setup for Marcus Weaver's DPCX setup and he deterred me from the stage 3 merrily because of the time frame and cost, He recommended a NEW(not reman) Stage 2 Monster pump setup, with his injectors/crosstubes, 220gph+ fuel system. Mike also would prefer a 06 CR head with the ports cleaned up, and that he can modify the pump to fit the CR head.

Lavon

if someone got crazy with porting i could see the port getting lazy with the low speed air.

lavon, i had an 06 cr head on my truck with no clearance issues with a SO vp. is there something different about mikes cases?

Last edited:
There isn't a clearance issue with a vp with cr head. The only difference is the cross over tubes. I have ran a 06 cr head with a vp setup. My new motor is a cr block and 05 head same as 06, and still there was no issues, but since milled the intake off for the new one I am making. The cr block on the other hand requires a lot of modifications to get the vp to fit, like grinding a lot of the casted humps where the vp sits.

I want to know what kind of power ^THIS^ 02 is making. Do you race any? That sounds like an insane setup.

Yes it makes a little bit of power haha, I have been building my new motor for the last 3 months and will be putting it in tomorrow night. But will have lots to do before I can really try my new motor out. I am trying to get my suspension all set up and cage, and slicks all done before may, it has been pretty fast paced around my shop trying to get it ready for this year. I plan on drag racing it and spinning a few rollers this year.

if someone got crazy with porting i could see the port getting lazy with the low speed air.

lavon, i had an 06 cr head on my truck with no clearance issues with a SO vp. is there something different about mikes cases?

I probably jumped to the conclusion on the O6 head clearance issue as he said he'd make the necessary modifications to make it fit. For those of you who have run the 06 head, is there a significant enough gain that you'd do it again?

The 06 heads have better seats unlike the 24v and early cr. And are less prone to cracking. I would not just for the added power that it may add but just cause its a better head in general. I know many have great luck with the plain old 24v isb heads which I have not had any issues my self either so its a toss up really spend the extra coin to use it or use what you got.

I probably jumped to the conclusion on the O6 head clearance issue as he said he'd make the necessary modifications to make it fit. For those of you who have run the 06 head, is there a significant enough gain that you'd do it again?

personally no i would not. i ended up going back to a vp head no due to the cr head not clearing the p-pump that is going on my truck. i do have a side draft in the works for the cr head.

Its all on opinion, you can run a cr head with a p-pump it has been done may times with the stock shelf, yes it will require a lot of grinding and fitting but then again so does a 24v isb head if you want the oil feed line to stay in the stock location as a 12v setup.

the grinding required goes through the shelf. there is no way around it. yes you can cut the section out but still would require welding a plate into the shelf. i have a good 06 cr head sitting in the barn with a hole in it from trying to clearance the head. yes i agree it is a matter of opinion on the heads if staying with a vp.

I talked to Mike about my truck not making the power it should. I'm not sure if it's the pump, but it was most likely a reman from EEP, which isn't as good as getting them straight from him. He said to send it in, but it could cost 1000-1400 for him to go thru if it needed some new parts. It's hard to spend that much on a pump that I already have around 1500 in.

IMO, a new stage 2 and CR head would be the way to go. I'm already really close to the ET I need, so I can't justify spending all that money.

I wounder what kind of et my truck would have if it were set up for drag racing. Mike's monster stage 2 8x.016 haisley sticks .093 tubes and lines air dog 200gph with half inch fuel lines gravity fed via fuel cell in bed, billet S480 w/ race cover t4 w/3 piece exhause manifold, full port and polished head with valve job, individual intake runner manifold, a/w cooler, fully balenced rotating assy, cam that requires .050 lift. I'd think with a healthy shot of NO2 it would be around 10 seconds.

I wounder what kind of et my truck would have if it were set up for drag racing. Mike's monster stage 2 8x.016 haisley sticks .093 tubes and lines air dog 200gph with half inch fuel lines gravity fed via fuel cell in bed, billet S480 w/ race cover t4 w/3 piece exhause manifold, full port and polished head with valve job, individual intake runner manifold, a/w cooler, fully balenced rotating assy, cam that requires .050 lift. I'd think with a healthy shot of NO2 it would be around 10 seconds.

Have u tried mikes injectors? His 6x16s would pick up power and be cleaner over those haisley 8 holes. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: