from bad to worse...

Who built the trans? I just changed mine on R&R for the first time. Had a few pieces of metal and clutch friction material but that is normal on the first change. Now the fluid color is whats got me???? Should have been red or darkred if burnt. Synthetic fliuds dont work well in DTT trannies IMO. I run Dextron III with bottle red lube guard. The wrong fuild can and will mess up the clutch friction materials depending what was used for the build.

I am not the original owner, I'm #2. They have my name on file as the current owner now but thats it. I would imagine they will help me diag the problem if I go that route, but I don't expect them to warranty anything for me even with the low mileage. It would be nice though!

That sucks.
The Goerend I just got, the warranty transfers over 100%.

Who built the trans? I just changed mine on R&R for the first time. Had a few pieces of metal and clutch friction material but that is normal on the first change. Now the fluid color is whats got me???? Should have been red or darkred if burnt. Synthetic fliuds dont work well in DTT trannies IMO. I run Dextron III with bottle red lube guard. The wrong fuild can and will mess up the clutch friction materials depending what was used for the build.

Red lubegard HUH. Dave Goerend suggests the black. I wonder what the difference is.

Bill at DTT built it. I ran the DexronIII/Mercon as well and 1 bottle of red lubeguard. I think it only appears purple ish from all the clutch material in it.

FWIW, I didn't think to post this earlier, the last time I drove it before I parked it the 1-2 shift was pretty firm again, but it came with a slight metallic ping to it. I figured it was from metal on metal contact due to little or no clutch material left. All the other gear shifts seem fine and bang off like they did when I first installed it.

Any updates on this? I'm going through a similar situation right now but can't seem to get anyone from dtt to get back to me. (though I haven't been trying real hard yet)

The truck is just sitting, again! I'm going to take my tranny to Garmon when I have the time to pull it out and run it down to him. Then let him work his magic :rockwoot:
Good luck with yours though, keep us updated on the issue, I'm still curious if this was my fault or not.

Some clutch dust in the pan of a torqueflite is nothing to worry about.

Also, I have not seen any indicators that would make me believe that using the "wrong" oil will cause damage. That is an old wives' tale IMHO. I never have quite figured out why the diesel trans guys recommend Dex III, but ask any of the big name race trans guys and they will suggest either type F or some tractor oil for lubricant. I have run one or the other for years now and have never run across any clutch material deterioration issues with doing so.

B18B1LS1, have you dropped the pan and valve body and looked around in there yet? Take a look at the front band. It sounds like the clutch material may be coming off of it or is gone now based on what you are saying.

Sounds like the accumulator leaking for 2nd gear apply... oh a smoked band. Check the band adjustment.

Some clutch dust in the pan of a torqueflite is nothing to worry about.

Also, I have not seen any indicators that would make me believe that using the "wrong" oil will cause damage. That is an old wives' tale IMHO. I never have quite figured out why the diesel trans guys recommend Dex III, but ask any of the big name race trans guys and they will suggest either type F or some tractor oil for lubricant. I have run one or the other for years now and have never run across any clutch material deterioration issues with doing so.

B18B1LS1, have you dropped the pan and valve body and looked around in there yet? Take a look at the front band. It sounds like the clutch material may be coming off of it or is gone now based on what you are saying.

I have dropped the pan, saw the clutch material and stopped there. There is a lot of material in the pan, I can run my finger down just one runner and it clumps up pretty good just from doing that. I'll drop the VB this weekend and look around, if I can even figure out what I'm looking at in there!

Just dropped the VB and had a look around. Not sure exactly what I'm looking for though? Front band has material on it still, it does looks thin, but I'm not sure what it is supposed to look like? Doesn't look to have worn the front drum anywhere, looks nice and smooth still. Anything else to look at under here?

I've been scouring the internet for front band pictures to get an idea of how thick the material should be. From what little I could find, mine looks a little worn but doesn't seem too bad. I'm seriously considering putting this thing back together, adjusting the bands, flushing the tranny, and giving it another go. Thoughts on this?? Any chance the band adjustment was even the issue or am I just relying on wishful thinking too much?

I've been scouring the internet for front band pictures to get an idea of how thick the material should be. From what little I could find, mine looks a little worn but doesn't seem too bad. I'm seriously considering putting this thing back together, adjusting the bands, flushing the tranny, and giving it another go. Thoughts on this?? Any chance the band adjustment was even the issue or am I just relying on wishful thinking too much?

I say go for it! It will only cost you a some trans. fluid.

I'm nor much help with an automatic, sorry.

I'm seriously considering a bicycle now. Why did I just pull the parking rod right out of the transmission :doh: I knew I had no business playing around in there :bang Will it slide back in correctly by wiggling the output or do I need to pull the OD section off? Anyone with a nice Huffy for trade?

Last edited:
It will slide back in, though it is a pain you need to slowly spin the output shaft and it will slide back in there.

I'm seriously considering a bicycle now. Why did I just pull the parking rod right out of the transmission :doh: I knew I had no business playing around in there :bang Will it slide back in correctly by wiggling the output or do I need to pull the OD section off? Anyone with a nice Huffy for trade?
Just have your wife or someone rock the rear driveshaft back and forth while you push the rod in.
Billy

My wife! I can't afford one of those! Thanks for the tip guys, at least thats one part I didn't break so far.