Front Clutch Piston problem????

talonkid119

Not Enough
Well i toar down my transmission from a bad return spring in the rear clutch. When i had everything apart i checked the Front clutch, the disks were burnt a little bit but i noticed the piston was really scoared up and some chunks were missing around the outside. I wondered if this was normal it is just a steel plate riding onto of it so i kinda wonder.

Attachments

• phpj5VSRTPM.jpg
    phpj5VSRTPM.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure mine looked similar. I'm gonna go through my rebuild pics and see if I can find one that matches up.

Do you think it is anything i should worry about? or should i buy a new piston and put it in there since i alreadt have it apart?

Thanks, Mike

just going off what i have seen so far when i tore mine apart .. i would think it would give you a wide clearance issue in the pack ... mine wasn't that bad ,but i bought a new one just to make sure my clearance would come out right ... hey i could be totaly off base to

That's normal, sonnex has a upgraded one that is pretty cheap. Also they give u the option of drilling a hole in certain area for increased fluid flow!

Hey thank you guys for your input. I ended up getting a new one from the dealer just to be safe. I am also going back to a stock steel rear drum, i had a aluminum one from pact and i couldnt get the right clearance with 5 clutches. It isnt machined as good as the stock one, there was areas under the snap right that i could get .023" and on the otheside it was .019" damn thing must be made in china or someting.

Thanks,
Mike

Sorry so late to comment.

The pictures you posted of direct clutch apply piston look just fine. Every piston I have seen from that clutch pack had machined marks on it, just like in your pictures.

The piston and first steel plate are splined into the outer drum so they should be able to move independent of eachother.

In short, there is no way for the steel to wear on the aluminum piston since they are both spinning at the same speed and rotate as one assembly with the outer drum.

Back