Front Drive Shaft

ChrisNickerson

SingleCab 24V
So my buddy keeps arguing with me that the front drive shaft spins while 4x4 is not in gauged. I no it is a stupid question and i did search it and didn't find anything on it. So if you are drive normally on the road in 2x4 is the front drive spinning or staying in place?

Thanks,
Chris

On mine it spins. My front drive shaft grenaded a few hours after I bought my truck 3 years ago, the whole truck shook like a dang washing machine. Had to pull the sucker on the side of the freeway. after that it was smooooth sailing.

I've had this argument with a few mechanics, gets annoying after an hour lol

Sent from my iPhone during class

If your talking bout a 99 like in your signature no it doesnt. Thats why the right axle is two pieces. it has a collar that disconnects the two.

The front drive shaft will rotate some, it isn't directly coupled if you have a front end with a CAD system.

we always slide the collar over on our 2nd gens and put the snap ring behind it so it does turn all the time. That way we dont have to depend on the vacuum system for it to work.

we always slide the collar over on our 2nd gens and put the snap ring behind it so it does turn all the time. That way we dont have to depend on the vacuum system for it to work.

genius idea, much cheaper then buying a one piece shaft.

i would think that since driverside shaft is connected to the carrier, the pinion will turn the driveshaft all the time.

i would think that since driverside shaft is connected to the carrier, the pinion will turn the driveshaft all the time.

The spider gears allow the axle shaft to spin, and not force the carrier to spin.

i would think with the motion of the fluid in either the transfer case or front diff it would still turn a little bit

While I got a thread going I just installed a Viper remote started today (recommend them to any of you vp guys) and I plug my truck in just about everynight. If i start my truck from inside and let it idle for 5 to 10 minutes then unplug the block heater will that effect anything. Or should i unplug it right as the truck starts?
Thanks,
Chris

Probably so you don't drive away with it still plugged in. It doesn't make much sense to have a remote start and have to walk out and unplug it before you start it. I've done it both ways. Doesn't make a bit of difference.

My truck is a late 02 without the CAD thingy. So my front drive shaft turns all the time. So will all the 3rd gens and newer.

it only runs for 10 minutes before i would be unplugging it anyway. I think it would be fine

The block heater is just like a heating element in a electric water heater it is designed to always be submerged in liquid. With the truck running n warming up it gets liquid then air pockets n it just keeps going back n forth until it gets to running temperature. Basically it shocks the heater n greatly reduces the heaters life.

While I imagine it is possible, as long as you keep your radiator full of coolant I doubt it will develop air pockets big enough to ruin the heater.