Fuel Mileage

THEGREATWHITE01

I was wondering what kind of true fuel mileage everyone is getting, and what mods are done. Mine is 16.7 to 18.4 highway and not very well in town.

when i had my truck i got 24 cruising the highway with 4" exhaust a k&n and a superchips.. average 17 mixed driving.. 2001 quad cab short bed 2wd

I have gotten 18.75 on the highway with my compounds and 250hp injectors. average around 16 with highway/city driving. I live up at around 4000 ft so I have a good climb to get home.

Mileage in the '99 sucks, but 2mpg better than the '97 towing. '97 does better empty. The slow O/D and 4.10s in the '99 is killing the mileage. Curious what will happen when the new turbo goes on. :)

im just trying to figure out if i should get another vp truck or 12v or cr im not sure what would get the best mileage because everyone i know never tells the true mileage. i was just wanting to see if everyone else wth the vp is getting.

Well I have been having that same frustration... everyone says I should be getting better but never seem to be able to do it.. I have been getting about 12-13 city and 16 hwy. I have a 1998.5 2500 with edge juice w/ attitude (level 1), straight pipe, afe intake, rebuilt auto trans, running bald 265 tires. My next step is to add a fass fuel system and injectors when I win the lottery.

Guys if your still running stock intercooler boots that might be part of your issue. I wore out 2 stock intercooler boots on my 97 when it was still a DD to the point they leaked causing horrible mileage on a 3.55 5spd truck. Currently my 99 is suffering in the mpg department so I'm about to replace those as most everything else is addressed. FYI, my bad ones were always the ones at the intercooler not the straight ones. Oh, and a cheap upgrade for the 2 straight hoses is big rig silicone heater hose.

I get 16mpg. I have a 2002 4x4 2500. Smarty stacked on drag comp hooked up as an ez.
I think people who say they get some ridiculous fuel milage just lie.

i am seeing some horrible numbers compared to 3 months ago, i took out edge jammer injectors and stuck the stock ones back in and my mileage dropped below what it was getting before the edge jammers. I know get 15 if i am lucky, was getting around 19. What is best mileage setpoint on the quad adrenaline? Also the tranny is slipping pretty bad wondering if that is a cause of the mpg dropping drastically. I will be getting a new garmonized tranny hopefully in the early spring.

Running 85mph at 2700rpm i average 17mpg with a s366 and 7x12 .010 lift and stroke and i dont baby this truck either. I can get really good mileage if i baby it but i could careless if i can drive it like i do and get 17mpg.

Yea just like 2700 rpm and get 17mpg. It doesn't make you look any better when you say you get better milage than you really do. We all know better or atleast the people who don't lie.

I get 15 and 16 in town with warmup time and a bhaf, 75 hp injectors, edge juice on 1 and a 4inch exhaust. Around 20 to 21 on the highway at 60 to 65 on the highway. Could get more in town but little cars piss me off!!!!!

I got 14-15 in town depending how many times I feel like smoking someone out. Highway running 65mph at 1800rpm~ I can get 21-22. Pullin a trailer it drops to 15 no matter what. (20'+ gooseneck)

i think my tps is going out but not sure so i think that could be alot of my problem too. how can you tell if it is the tps or the stock vp

I get 13-15 with 4.10's, 150 sticks, 64/HT3B twins and a 6 speed and 9 pulling a 40 enclosed trailer with my puller in it and those numbers are hand counted. You wouldnt believe the people that still use the over head mileage calculator after adding chips and injectors. Guess what they are "WAY" off. Bet thats were some of the crazy MPG numbers come from

I get 13 or so in town and 15 on the highway. This is on #1 fuel. Drag comp, 4.10's, 265 MT's, auto, bhaf. Hopefully when I get this nv4500 in I will pick up 1 or 2 but i'm not really concerned with mileage too much. It does what I need it to and gets better mileage than my old 78 chevy gasser.

I have a 12v, and took a trip from Winchester, VA to outside Scranton, PA yesterday; my first highway mileage check I've done..

my '96 is basically stock, minus a BHAF, #10 plate full forward, afc full forward, stock DP to 4" catless/mufflerless turndown. OE 47RE, 265-75-16s on stock steelies.
I filled up yesterday, drove 479mi round trip to Scranton, PA from VA, and filled back up. 2.69/gal, 23.43 gal, 20.44mpg. No bed cover, tailgate up, 65-70 the entire way (all highway, no traffic jams), and yielded that. I babied it, tried to stay out of boost as much as possible, and used my cruise control. SCLB with elephant-sized west-coast tow mirrors.. I was sure I'd gotten better than that, but there's the numbers. All but about 10-15 mi was pure highway, with an average round-trip speed of 63.6mph, and a top speed of 72.3mph, per the GPS.

HOWEVER, my speedo, when compared to the GPS, is about 2-3mph slow. Meaning, when the GPS says 70mph, my speedo shows ~68. Over the course of the 7h45m drive time, this will definitely account for about 16mi or so. Given that factor, I'd still only be around 21-21.5mpg.

I do believe that this is 'winter blend', from Sunoco.

In town, which is 99% of my normal driving, my last fill-up was:
2.69/gal, 26.78gal, 331mi, and averaged 12.36mpg. That's about my normal for city/town driving, per fill-up. 35gal tank, IIRC.

Last edited:
I mostly use my truck as a car (no trailer, rarely anything in the bed) and I'm not sure that I have ever passed 20mpg. I don't check it that often though.

Speaking of people lying about mileage, I absolutely LOVE it when someone claims they get the same mileage empty vs. fully loaded :hehe:

Speaking of people lying about mileage, I absolutely LOVE it when someone claims they get the same mileage empty vs. fully loaded :hehe:

I did in my old 91 Ram 1500 4wd gas. 12mpg, empty, or pulling a 16' camper.. LOL