Fuel Pump Maybe???

imelmo

Go away, I'm 'batin'!
I was towing a golf cart in my '94 home from Florida. Everything was fine most of the 2000+ mile trip. Then I went to pass someone and it felt like I was missing about 75hp. I could hear the turbo coming up but there was a severe lack of power. Never heard any pop or anything like a boot or something. I pulled in for fuel and when I came to a red light it started idling really rough. Put it in neutral and it was fine. As soon as I put it in drive it was rough again until I gave it some fuel. It made it the rest of the way home just fine, but still missing a lot of power and idling real bad (to the point of killing sometimes) if I come to a stop while in gear.

I changed the fuel filter today and there was no change. My guess is it would be the fuel pump, but I'd like to make sure before replacing it. How would I go about checking the fuel pressure on this thing and where-about should the pressure be at?

Thanx!

Last edited:
They were all fine, and that wouldn't make it idle rough I don't believe.

could be the lift pump. Then again your timing may have slipped.

They wouldn't.

Honestly, after Doug's thread on PSN I can't endorse you working on your truck:D

You can tap into one of the banjo bolts on top of the fuel filter. If you are gonna mount a gauge I'd do it on the outlet. If it's just to check it wouldn't really matter.

Wanna say 30ish at idle IIRC... Someone smarter will chime in by the time you get a gauge on:D

Did you check the prescreen/heater bowl below the lift pump? It has an cleanable screen inside that catches all of the big stuff from the tank before feeding to the lift pump. If the screen is clean, and you have at least 20 psi at idle, I think you can rule out a bad lift pump.

You can tap into one of the banjo bolts on top of the fuel filter. If you are gonna mount a gauge I'd do it on the outlet. If it's just to check it wouldn't really matter.

If you take the banjo bolt from the IP inlet, you can take a Letter R or 11/32" drill bit and drill it out from the back, it centers it nicely for a 1/8" NPT tap. If you use the banjo bolts on the top of the filter, you'll be drilling into the shank of the bolt.

Back