Fueling Problem...VP?

Billysgoat said:
Anything is possible Jory, have you called and talked to II to get their opinion on it??

Ya, I emailed Shane at II yesterday. I haven't heard back from him yet. They must be busy.

i know this is an old thread,,,,,but did you ever get that bucking thing figured out?.....there seems to be alot of threads around on 02 models having these same issues.heck,,ive had two 02 models and they both have had it.exact same symptoms as you describe.........bama

Nope. No cure yet to my knowledge. It has warmed up so I won't see the problem again until it cools down this fall. Outside temp has to be around 60F or below for it to choke and puke. And yes, it seems to be the 02's and most have Edge products on them....hmmmmm. What a PIA. I'll definately post something if I get it figured out but it will have to get cold first.

The tachometer stays stable when it does this too which is odd. But, the stupid instruments anymore are dumb dials (fly-by-wire instead of actually connected to what they are reading) so maybe the ECM is smoothing the readings out for it. It would be real nice to have a data logger to read all these parameters and disect them but I can't afford on of those dang things.

Runs fine at WOT. But yes, If I had deeper pockets, it would definately get more fuel, then a bigger turbo, then more fuel....I'M ADDICTED!!! :D

so,you ended up replacing the iat sensor,,did you ever replace the map ?or did you not use the new one you got?i couldnt tell from your posts....bama

No. I put a DMM on it and took a test drive and the MAP seemed to read exactly what it should. I took back the $95 bastard and got my money back. On the flip side, I think that will be the first thing I do this winter is try a new one anyway. Maybe there is a glitch that doesn't show up on my meter. I was also reading the voltage from the sensor to the Juice box. I need to read the voltage going to the ECM.

It would also be nice to find someone with a smarty at the Texas Diesel National show and have them re-flash the stock program. Maybe there is a computer glitch. I may have a 2 or 3 in amonst all the 0's and 1's.

hey 4x4dually,,,,,,,,check out the thread over on the tdr,,second gen section,miss only with edge on,fixed...........this seems to be the deal you were looking for on yours,,,,,,bama

I'm not a subscriber, could you paste the post over here? Thanks. Is it the 'put a winter front on' soution or a solution to the real problem? Thanks for thinking of me!

it started as the winter front....they then ended up putting a 1k ohm resistor in place of the iat sensor to make it think it was really hot,and this retards the timing.no bucking then.......the guy ran a rheostat in parallel with the iat in the cab so he could try different resistances...1k worked for a couple of the guys.....problems from this though were you must let it see cold temps for cold cranking so some are running a switch on the parallel circuit,so as to be able to run thru the iat until it warms up,then closing the switch so it reads thru the resistor........i tried this on mine,,it stopped the bucking,but also made the truck a little more lazy with less smoke.i used the 1k ohm resistor on mine,so it may be to much,i think the rheostat would be the idea so you could fine tune to your own truck...but if you look at the values for the sensor,this has got to be making the truck think its like 200 degrees iat......i think what we need is a program with less timing,or an adjustable cps.........question is,,does the truck have to much base timing?or does the pump just not like this much advance?......im also thinking about looking into the cps and maybe its out of range causing the overadvance situation and we`re chasing our tale with the iat thinking.....didnt timbo say something about his truck doing something with the cps messing up?...........bama

Good info dude. I'm gonna pass it on to Edge and see what they have to say about it. Seems like they need a new algorithm for their timing in the boxes that works for all temps.

I just sent another long email to EDGE. We'll see what I get back.

Last edited:
Diggin' up bones...

Ok. It is cold again. My truck does the same shiznit it did last year this time and yet no one has found a cure.

ANYONE HAVE NEW INFO???

Edge still won't take the time to figure out the problem obviously. If I have more money and time to drive to someone who had the equipment to test, dyno, etc and tune my truck, I would, but I don't.

ANY NEW INFO??? Surely SOMEONE has figured it out...PLEASE????

Review: When outside temp is below 60F truck bucks (tach varies) between 20 and 30 psi on any power level.

Had a truck doing the same thing in the shop a few months ago. Replaced the map sensor and the wiring harness on the Edge box. Problem solved.
We tried a new box first and it didn't help. Couldn't tell ya if it was the map or wire harness, but it was fixed.
It's always the one thing you didn't want to do.

I'ver replaced the box and the harness and the AIT sensor so I guess I'll break down and replace the $100 map....dangit. Thanks for the info.

this may seem silly.

have u replaced ur fuel filter. had a similar problem on a 01 vp44.

I replace oil every 10K and fuel filter every 20K. It has been done since the problem occured. I bench tested the map and it seemed fine, but, I guess I'll replace it anyway. I'll be pissed it that fixes it. I really should quit trying to be a cheap a** and just replace it.

Negative ghost rider. New MAP sensor and no fix of the problem. It bucks the worst when the motor is hot and the air outside is cool....sorry POS....

My truck does the same crap.
I have an EZ, and if I just unplug it from the CAN, the truck runs fine, but when plugged into the CAN, it runs like crap.

Only solution I have is a piece of cardbpoard in front of the intercooler

Ok. We, and everyone else, has proven that unplugging the Edge products fixes the problem. Now, I have been on thier tails since September of last year, not the recent Sept. the one before, and they have not yet told me any fixes. Now, doesn't it just seem like the program needs changed to adapt for colder intake air? I'd rather the box just go limp and default to stock mode if it can't run right on power levels 1 to 5. Why can't someone at Edge figure this out. I have a whole folder of email from them and no real fixes. I guess it pays more to steer engineering towards new designs for 6.4L and 6.7L than it is to go back and correct several dozen trucks on the road that run like shiznit in the cold months.

My next step is to find someone with a smarty and reflash the stock program. Maybe the ECM has a glitch. Reguardless, it makes me mad. :D

for the record,,mine does it with the edge,,diablo puck,and quads xzt plus boxes.anything that adds timing makes mine do it.this is my second 02 model with this problem..my other 02 would not do it when just running a powermax box(which doesnt add any timing).....quad supposedly sent me a program for the xztplus without any timing in it per my request,and it still did it,so,im not sure on that one.i ran a fixed resistor in place of the iat to take timing out of it,and it didnt do it at all,but it also was lazy....and mine does it regardless of temp.,even when warm.......ive ran meters on the map,the apps,and checked resistances on the iat.there are no funny spots or spikes in any of them.the only thing ive noticed on reading all the threads across all the boards on this,is that no has tried fooling with the cps.this could have an effect on timing for sure....ive read where people have tried replacing evrything from vp`s to every sensor except cps,to complete computers.....good luck with it,seems like evrybody wants an answer........bama