Fueling/Timing Boxes

I gotta crash boys. Taking the sled up to Vail Pass bright and early to see if I can hurt myself doing something stupid.

well good luck with that! what seems off? the big external gate should allow for plenty of drive and the small housing will help it off its feet faster. makes sense to me.

I know my super stock 62 lights at about 1500rpm and then its lights out from there. It is worth a try but I will most likely buy a sledpuller to test it on rather than mess with my super stock. That turbo is my baby

jaredmeasner.JPG

7 inches and makin it hurt!

but wont the wastegate help with that as well? its purely an experiment so I dont know if it will work or not. This truck will likely never be twinned, I just dont see the point :D

that is what I was worried about, get rid of enough of the drive pressure that I can push the turbo to 65-75psi to make it work hard.

drive pressure gauge jiggin is in the works. I imagine a day on the dyno is all it will take. HA!

U could use any well a 14cm would b fine turbine and block one side off cut the divider out of the manifold , well this is how i had my baby 55 it was built usen a 19 gated housing and it didnt spool worth a crap so i got the idea from some import site and made a plate and forced everything to the inducer side , and b4 this i could only get 40 psi after the plate it was in the upper 50s and spool time doubled although i didnt set my gate like i should (50 lbs or less) i left it blocked off ..EGTS were 1300 with injs mid 40s and 1660 was the highest i ever seen untill i finaly broke the shaft . Wish i fixed my bleed screw witch i was working on that day

I even tried this on a T88 but it didnt work they knifed edged the dived and it leaked to the other side it had a 96 a/r I would like to c it worked tho LOL

Last edited:
oh good you are still alive, I was afeared you were trapped under some avalanche snow!

No, but I'm glad we didn't head towards Winter Park to ride. I drive that road a lot in the winter. That is some steep chit and a loooong ways down if you go over the edge. Couple years ago some dude in a pickup went over about 800' down. They didn't find him for a couple months as I remember.

MKoth said:
Ok, lemme go find my box of crayons so I can draw this out for you...

A timing box advances the timing curve from what stock parameters.

Combustion pressures reach a high enough point to ignite fuel well before fuel is injected at stock settings. Advancing the timing simply injects the fuel sooner in the combustion cycle, leading to a more complete burn of the available fuel in the cylinder.

TimingChart.jpg

This is a good thread I though and I hope no one minds me digging it up, because it is pretty old. Most of the discussions ended up being banter, but the rest still good.

Quite a few places people talked about advance timing resulting in a more complete burn. Like the quote above. For some reason I had been thinking, especially after talking to a friend about this, that timing changes were primarily not for a more efficient burn, but for a more efficient use of the burn.

The idea being that the maximum combustion chamber pressure was achieved at the optimum PTDC position so that the moment arm force applied to the crank by the connecting rod was maximized. Too soon and the gas can't expand due to very little piston movement and the moment arm is standing on end. Too late and the gas expansion is wasted on too much piston movement and the optimum power of the moment arm is lost. I can't remember the exact position he said, but it seemed to be in the 16 - 19 degree PTDC range.

Timing changes over stock are adjusted to allow for the ignition / burn time, the maximum cylinder pressure and the right PDTC angle to occur at the same instant. Where the stock timing more or less focuses on controlling maximum cylinder pressure, NOx, VOC and to some extend CO over maximum efficientcy. That close to being right?

Jim

Back