garmon head bolt torque

CrashCade

so i have been reading on jeff garmon, how in the hell does he get head bolts to hold 80 pounds of boost. is he O ringing the head or just a normal head gasket. could you torque some studs down to hold 80 pounds of boost.

Mine holds fine with his method at 60pounds of boost, stock head bolts, stock gasket, with stock compression. Talk to TNT Diesel about exact method used if Bett wants to discuss. I'm just here to let you know it works but it has it's draw backs, like if you want to remove a rocker arm after the fact it could be tricky.

ARP 200's with MLS gasket to 135 ft-lbs done right will hold 80.

625's with MLS will do even more....

625's with orings will hold the moon...at least 125 and counting.

i have the 12mm ARP 200's, whats the MLS gasket, and where could i get one. so do i just torque the studs down in the factory pattern 5#'s at a time. is there a special lube i need

The MLS gasket is the OEM stock gasket in 03 and newer. Follow the factory pattern in 4 steps or so...40, 70, 100, 130 ft lbs.

I would pull the head...inspect...mill if needed to make sure it is flat...clean everything up...bottom tap...new gasket and let er' rip.

Are your ARP 2000's new? If not get 625's and call it a day.

I also hear that He does the torque sequence in something crazy like 10LB increments :poke

Do a search before using a MLS gasket.. I have heard too many bad stories on them.. May as well just do it right the first time and oring, and studs... $.02

Um...horror stories my behind. 125k at 65 psi stock head studs/MLS then 40k at 85 psi with ARP 2000's on the same MLS gasket before it popped.

What are the goals? Orings may not be needed. 750 hp...not needed unless it is all drugs.

Um...horror stories my behind. 125k at 65 psi stock head studs/MLS then 40k at 85 psi with ARP 2000's on the same MLS gasket before it popped.

What are the goals? Orings may not be needed. 750 hp...not needed unless it is all drugs.

If you have a common rail the Stock cummins MLS gasket is sufficient.. I was thinking 12 valve whe I spoke up earlier.:bang. Yes with a MLS and studs in a CR you have no problems, that is what I have in my cr. It is basically stock except for the studs, and helix2. There is a Cometic MLS gasket out for the 24 and 12 valves that is no good..

i have the ARP 200 studs. they have been used once, then i pulled off the head for porting the christ out of it. are they ok to use again if i torque them down in 5# increments to 140ft#'s on a new marine gasket. do you think that would hold 80#'s of boost. or just get the damn thing O-ringed. im going to be running a single GT4202 with some 140ddp sticks. thats why am asking for this info

i have the ARP 200 studs. they have been used once, then i pulled off the head for porting the christ out of it. are they ok to use again if i torque them down in 5# increments to 140ft#'s on a new marine gasket. do you think that would hold 80#'s of boost. or just get the damn thing O-ringed. im going to be running a single GT4202 with some 140ddp sticks. thats why am asking for this info

Your from Idaho right? Al (Summit) doesn't have his head o-ringed. Just 625's and a stock gasket...

Edit... Al said his head started to lift at 80lbs with his older studs... I think 200's not sure..

What is the best price anyone has seen on these new 625's because i think that $1000 is just crazy.

studs are a multiple use thing vs. head bolts. Head bolts are a one time use only. Studs can be used many times.

Lance

studs are a multiple use thing vs. head bolts. Head bolts are a one time use only. Studs can be used many times.

Lance

Well, I've got Stock Head Bolts...The Original ones...Used at Least 3 times now....O-ring'd head , 24V gaskets (not modified).....Torqued to 145+ ft. lbs.

Holding 66+ psi boost and almost 800 HP to the ground (Calculated by my wieght and trap speeds)

Holding just fine.....But yes, I'm decompressed a bit...

Okay I have a question.

I just replaced my head gasket/o-ring's last Sept I think? Anyways I replaced ALL the head bolts except the 6 LONG ones through the rocker towers.

I originally torqued them to 90 ft/lbs plus a 90 degree turn, and left it be after that.

Those 6(?) bolts I had to reuse from the set I took out because I forgot to get them from Cummins. Those bolts have 3 torques of 90 ft/lbs + 90 degree's. So I'm up to 4 tq's on the long bolts.

The truck I'm speaking of is my 97 in my sig btw, but I'm pretty sure I need to crank down on these things some more before I hit the pulling track. Question, is do I need to replace the long bolts that already have so many torque's on them or just bare down on them some more?

I was thinking 125ft/lbs would be sufficient with o-rings?:what:

What is the best price anyone has seen on these new 625's because i think that $1000 is just crazy.

pm comp461 or Adam from Browns diesel, i think he's inline6.

they both had the best price when i was shopping.