Gate or Ratchet

Grainfarmer

P-Pumper
So lets hear your opinion, What would be best for sled pullin and just hot doggin around with an auto tranny. A ratchet shifter or a gate style shifter. TCI has some nice shifters and B&M make a few also. Just needing some input. I got a Goerend on it`s way next week and was thinking about complimenting it with a new shifter.

B&M light truck megashifter......probably the only one tall enough to be comfortable. Its a ratchet too, better imo.

I was planning on building a pedestal to mount a shifter somewhat level with the seat or wherever it feels right at. I talked to Dennis at TCI today ( Nice Guy ) about the Outlaw and he said it was a gate style shifter. I really like the looks of it but never had any experience with a gate. I know I like the Ratchet style but I like the feel of a pistol grip and they only have a T- Handle in a ratchet which would be O.K. i guess. Just kinda wondering how the gate would work and if anybody uses one.

do the companies provide enough cable length to mount the car-styled shifters on a pedestal/center console

(i seem to remember some 3rd gen with a consold mounted unit)

here's mine.... it's a gate shifter and works well. I think it would work well for sledding too

shifter3.jpg

here's mine.... it's a gate shifter and works well. I think it would work well for sledding too

shifter3.jpg

Now that`s what I`m talkin about !!! And that`s the shifter that I want. If I`m not mistaken it comes with 5 ft of cable which should be enough isn`t it? If you were runnin 2nd gear and needed to down shift would you just downshift or trip the handle and then downshift. I`m also wanting the 12v switch that fits the grip for my converter lockup. Could just release the switch which unlocks the converter instead of downshifting Thanks for the picture. I saw this picture in another thread somewhere and it caught my eye.

Ratchet. You really don't want to downshift the dodge auto while pulling.

The 98+ dodges allow the shifter to be straight as you don't have to angle it to clear the transfercase boot as much.

Ratchet. You really don't want to downshift the dodge auto while pulling.

The 98+ dodges allow the shifter to be straight as you don't have to angle it to clear the transfercase boot as much.

Nice shifter.So you use the pushbutton for your converter lockup? My truck is a `99.

Now that`s what I`m talkin about !!! And that`s the shifter that I want. If I`m not mistaken it comes with 5 ft of cable which should be enough isn`t it? If you were runnin 2nd gear and needed to down shift would you just downshift or trip the handle and then downshift. I`m also wanting the 12v switch that fits the grip for my converter lockup. Could just release the switch which unlocks the converter instead of downshifting Thanks for the picture. I saw this picture in another thread somewhere and it caught my eye.

downshifting is only a matter of pulling back on the shifter. It locks in each gear by pulling the lever in. You can jam through each gear without worrying about missing a gear or going to neutral.

The button on the handle controls towhaul/OD and yes, there's plenty of cable... 6ft. The gear indicators on the dash still work also

here's another shot....

shifter.jpg

downshifting is only a matter of pulling back on the shifter. It locks in each gear by pulling the lever in. You can jam through each gear without worrying about missing a gear or going to neutral.

The button on the handle controls towhaul/OD and yes, there's plenty of cable... 6ft. The gear indicators on the dash still work also

here's another shot....

shifter.jpg

I gotta have one man !!! My mouth is waterin`. I`m gonna call Dennis at TCI today.:evil

I'm sure they hooked you up but, be sure it's the torque flight 727 shifter you got.... that is if you have the 48re

T shirt !!! where the hell is mine ? they should give me one for helping talk you into the TCI Hmmmm LOL

I'm sure they hooked you up but, be sure it's the torque flight 727 shifter you got.... that is if you have the 48re

T shirt !!! where the hell is mine ? they should give me one for helping talk you into the TCI Hmmmm LOL

Yea it`s for the 727. I have a Goerend 47re coming end of next week. And I had to buy the T-shirt. He gave me a discount and sold it to me at cost. Hopefully when I get all this crap together I can post some pics. Man these are nice people. Dennis even called me back to tell me that he would send me a tracking number and the shipment would go out today. Should be here by Sat. or Mon. at the latest.

Can someone explain to me the difference between ratchet and gate style shifters?