Gearing

Roy 31

Dont know JS!
I need help on deciding what gear ratio to go with. I have 3.54 now, but with the 35" tires I need to chage my gears. What do I want to do with the truck? Some sled pulling and drag racing. I know there probably isn't the perfect fit for both, but something close. I was thinking of 4.10.

got 4.10 in mine and next tire will be a 35. Im running 2 grand at only 65 mph wish it was more like 1,500 rpms

Im going with 3:73's don't know how i'll like them, i don't have them in yet..but the 3rd gen trucks have 3:73's and iv talked to some 3rd gen owners, they seem to like them!?!?!?

3.54 with 35" tires to me would be perfect for towing. I run 33" with 3.54 and a 6 speed and when towing, 6th gear is just a touch to much gear, and 5th is too much RPM. Plus 5th is stronger. I would like to find some 11" wide 35" tires for a 16" rim with a E load range.

I am running 1800 at 80mph. Having the 35's on there what gear would put me close to stock?

I am running 1800 at 80mph. Having the 35's on there what gear would put me close to stock?

Depends on the stock tires. Some came with 245/75/r16 and some with 265/75r16

so figure your tires are 315/75r16, pi and the 75% cancel

315/265= 1.19 3.54*1.19= 4.2

315/245=1.29 3.54*1.29= 4.55

So either a Gears are available in for the d80 in 4.10, 4.30, 4.63,4.88
D60 4.10, 4.30,4.56,4.88 so either 4.10, or 4.30.

Running an auto, do you think 4.10's would be to much at the drag strip? Even with 35's.
I am considering just buying the gears for the rear and trying them before I commit to buying them for the front. And I have a d70 in the rear.

Maybe I don't, now that I think about it. I think that I was thinking of 3.54.

Damn, thinking I could save a few green backs with a used set. Your in Missouri also? Have anything else laying around you want to get rid of?
I am going to order a set of 4.10's i guess for the rear and see how that pans out. What kind of locker do you suggest for the front?
And should I be up-grading my axles during the swap?

Drag racing or sled pulling? Look for a D80 you can probably find one with 4.10 gears in it. Most shops charge $200 + to set up the D60,d70,d80's.
There kind of a pain.
I would put a D80 with a an ARB
D60 with an ARB.

This might be a stupid question, are all ARB's air lockers?
I was looking on ringpinion.com and they are offering free mini compressors with an ARB air locker.
What about axles, do they need up-grading?
Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Yes, axles should be upgraded in the d80. ARB are air lockers.

This might be a stupid question, are all ARB's air lockers?
I was looking on ringpinion.com and they are offering free mini compressors with an ARB air locker.
What about axles, do they need up-grading?
Thanks for the help!

IMO, ARB's are WAY over priced... In most cases their are other options that are way more affordable!!!

IMO, ARB's are WAY over priced... In most cases their are other options that are way more affordable!!!

Detroits will lock and unlock going down the track, as well as any of the clutched setups. Either ARB, or weld it.

Detroits will lock and unlock going down the track, as well as any of the clutched setups. Either ARB, or weld it.

You wright on as far as the detroit,when they unlock and lock back in,you'll more then likely break an axle! But the clutch type locker's ( power lock ) are the way to go in the front (dana axles)!!! the more power ya put to them the more they lock up. Also you can stack more clutches in them and make them pretty tight. Their easer on axle shafts also, Takes the shock load off the shafts when your front tires hit loose spots and hard spots in the track. But for the back...weld it!!!

You wright on as far as the detroit,when they unlock and lock back in,you'll more then likely break an axle! But the clutch type locker's ( power lock ) are the way to go in the front (dana axles)!!! the more power ya put to them the more they lock up. Also you can stack more clutches in them and make them pretty tight. Their easer on axle shafts also, Takes the shock load off the shafts when your front tires hit loose spots and hard spots in the track. But for the back...weld it!!!

I was referring to lost distances, broken parts are something else. LOL

That clutch slipping on the the loose tire is power taken away from the other tire.

I have 3+ years on the stock front axles with an ARB

Back