Gooseneck Hitches

I am curious about how the mechanism would work? The round shank verses the square of the B&W.

My 03 has a Reese pop-up and my Dually has a bw the Reese is built good but now I can't get the ball back in upside down because unlike the bw its got a top rail and the hitch bolts underneath. Somehow it shifted and the ball won't go all the way in. So I either have to grind about 1/8th inch off the plate on the bottom or never turn it over. I've had 2 bw and never had a problem so I'll just stick with them. My 99 had a flip up hitch and after a few years it was pretty sloppy.

i have a kurt flipover in my 05

has slop, but nothing that is really noticable but has towed a 416b backhoe on a 32 foot trailer with no issues.. I tow my four horse bruton with this hitch no problem, an average of once a month or so, a 24 foot flatbed, and 20-28 foot cattle trailers with it on occasions.. overall about 12-20 times a year use on my gn hitch.. so im good with it...

my dad is a professional welder, and hands down one of the best in south texas, and he is fixin the crap hitch that my 95 came with

a 1/2 plate held on with four pieces of squaretubing, with bolts through the frame.. i dont know what the PO towed with it, but i could move the whole assembly with my hands alone.. the hitchball was not worth a crap either...it was held on just the plate with a nut that was hand tight and a 1/1/4 inch shank.... IMHO setup is just straight up garbage.. very similar to the rail systems that others use.. i just find it hard to put my trust on four bolts to hold alot of weight...but im sure even those were better than the crap hitch mine came with....

But if was a hotshotter or hauling everyday, its hard to beat a set in weld on, i have the source to do it...

if i was buying manufactured, it do B&W....

However, Jory and RedSleeper both your designs are GENIUS! RedSleeper is very close to my dads older setups,

Last edited:
Just got my B&W for the mega cab, bought thru the_hitch_spot on ebay on Monday for $379 with free shipping. My hitch arrived 24 hours later via fed-ex.

Im pleased with the price and fast shipping, hopefully the install goes as painless as the last 2 we've done.

Just got my B&W for the mega cab, bought thru the_hitch_spot on ebay on Monday for $379 with free shipping. My hitch arrived 24 hours later via fed-ex.

Im pleased with the price and fast shipping, hopefully the install goes as painless as the last 2 we've done.

I picked one up off of ebay. I made an offer of $349 shipped, he didn't accept it. However the next day it was $365 shipped. I snatched it up!

B&W all the way I have had the rail mount setup and it sucks to get all 4 of those pins to line up and stay in the dog was allways cathing his tie on them and pulling the clips out. I have a solid plate in my current truck and its great for towing but the ball is always in the way. 2 of my other trucks have had B&W it is the only way to go just take the ball out and put it in the truck when you dont need it. The only thing I miss is with a b&w the 5th wheel companion hitch dosent have a slide my resse had the slide plate but I will probly just put a 5th to gooseneck adaptor on any 5th wheels i ever own again.

I've had B&W and Curt, I liked them both. The B&W is sold more places and its easier to get stuff for them.

I have yet to find a problem with this set up.

469686_10150843839880850_777585849_11867992_725430401_o.jpg

I always thought B&W was just hype till one of my friends bought a truck with one and i used it , the ball fits tight and no slop like my flip up ball. I liked it so much im thinkin of getting one for my truck!

I always thought B&W was just hype till one of my friends bought a truck with one and i used it , the ball fits tight and no slop like my flip up ball. I liked it so much im thinkin of getting one for my truck!

You haven't towed with my setup yet. I know, I know, let the comments roll Zack! The B&W is a nice setup for 99% of people, but mine is 1.5" thick plate 6" wide with a sleeve welded in for the removeable balls, just needed one a little heavier built for what I do.
BTW Zack, I'll build you one like mine for $10 a month!LOL

Last edited:
My '99 had a B&W.. it was nice, but every other truck i've owned has just had a Plate bolted to the frame with a Ball and safety chain hook ups.. I really don't care if i have a ball sticking up in the box all the time or not..

I've had too many issues with my B&W to think of recommending them to someone. The mounting to the frame is a joke personally as well as the cheesy rails under the bed. I've also broken several balls over the years. One good thing is they have great customer service within reason. What I ended up doing is making my own with a 60k ball and 1/2 4130 plate.