Hauling tractor from Mississippi back to Ohio? Legal?

Kyle_truck_pull

Hey I haven't had time to search this, but anyways I am wanting to go pick up a new tractor from Mississippi and haul it backto Ohio, I have a dually mega cab and a 20+5 tandem dually trailer, the tractor weighs around 14,000. It's a case ih maxxum 115 4x4 w/loader.
Anyways am I legal? Or is this a bad idea? Can I drive past the scales? Any help would be great! I don't know the laws we just usually pull anything but this will be the first goin that far!

If its a non-commercial vehicle don't even look at the scales... Pick that bich up and take her home.

I believe in Tennessee it says "all trucks must weigh" And they will come get you. I passed by one when we went to a rodeo and they come and got me. Asked me if i was stupid and could read.LOL Im not sure about ohio rules but in Il, we have B-truck plates that allow up to 8k lbs. A mega would be over that so then you would go to D- truck plates that get you 12k. But then you have to have a biannual truck inspection sticker and then you would also have to pull into the scales.

That aside, im a truck driver so i say load that ***** up and haul ass. Run at night if you are worried about it.

in ohio you can say its farm use and dont have to worrie about weight as long as your 150 miles from your farm. any farther than that and im not sure on the rules

Hey I haven't had time to search this, but anyways I am wanting to go pick up a new tractor from Mississippi and haul it backto Ohio, I have a dually mega cab and a 20+5 tandem dually trailer, the tractor weighs around 14,000. It's a case ih maxxum 115 4x4 w/loader.
Anyways am I legal? Or is this a bad idea? Can I drive past the scales? Any help would be great! I don't know the laws we just usually pull anything but this will be the first goin that far!

What kinda tags you got?

Whats the GVW of the trailer? To put a 14K tractor on it means the trailer is rated at least that. Your megacab GVWR is 11,500 (from a quick search) which puts your GCVWR at 24,500, just under class A CDL requirements. However, in Ohio you have to have at least a class C to pull a trailer over 10K.

As far as being legal, if you're under CDL you dont have to stop at scales. How wide is that unit? I'm not up on my case models (I'm a Deere Tech, dont hate me) but I think that one is narrow enough you wont have to flag it, or run oversize permits. Those can be a pain in the ass.

You said its new, can I ask why you're going so far to get a new tractor when there's plenty of dealers around here?

Whats the GVW of the trailer? To put a 14K tractor on it means the trailer is rated at least that. Your megacab GVWR is 11,500 (from a quick search) which puts your GCVWR at 24,500, just under class A CDL requirements. However, in Ohio you have to have at least a class C to pull a trailer over 10K.

As far as being legal, if you're under CDL you dont have to stop at scales. How wide is that unit? I'm not up on my case models (I'm a Deere Tech, dont hate me) but I think that one is narrow enough you wont have to flag it, or run oversize permits. Those can be a pain in the ass.

You said its new, can I ask why you're going so far to get a new tractor when there's plenty of dealers around here?

Just play dumb....farmers can get away with it;) Us dealers, can't!

Don't worry about flags, signs, etc...just go get it, and make it look like you know what you're doing when you load and secure it. Use 4 chains, cross tied, and load it so the truck isn't dragging it's butt.

I'll bet you'll have no problems.
Chris

we couldnt get the size tractor we needed fast enough our other tractor died, and the local dealers couldnt get any trades in fast enough. we need the tractor yesterday. this tractor is a pretty good buy it does have 100 hours on it so technically it is used but we saved a good bit of money with this tractor.
anyways the trailer is rated for 20,000. and the tires are tucked in so it isnt any wider than 8ft. thanks for the help guys but looks like i wont be going after it until next week due to paper work.
if i missed any of your questions sorry!

Most states don't apply the laws to farmers as they do a commercial vehicle. I've hauled BIG tractors that were over width and weight and the DOT never looked twice. Not sure about with a pick up.

Load it and go. You'll be fine with that rig. i've NEVER went through a scale with a pick up and trailer and I've hauled ALOT of equipment. If you get pulled over just play dumb farmer with themLOL

Two categories-
Commercial- If you are hauling for someone else than you have to abide by federal dot regulations.
Non-commercial- If you are hauling your own personal goods than haul azz, Keep fuel in it and get from point a-b and b-a. The only reason for a cop to pull you over is if he sees an unsafe condition. Make sure you cross chain with four chains and make sure you check them along the way for tightness. Make sure the lights and tires are good.

I have been draging a 20k G/N up and down the interstates of GA for 6 years now with a T-300 and attachments without being stopped. I know in GA if you dont have DOT#'s you dont have to stop at the scale house(I have #'s but I aint about to put them on my truck). I pulled a F-700 dump truck back from middle TN behind my F-350 and blew by the scale house in TN and GA. They never raised there heads, like everybody else says "Its farm use." Im more than likely gonna be goin to SC to pick up a TD-8 dozer here in a few weeks with my Dodge, that one will probly get me pulled over though.

I say load and go.

Yea you should be fine Ive hauled a Case 590 Backhoe loader on a Gooseneck with out any trouble with my 3500 Dulley I did have to scale once here in MO, They don't bother us too much its when you get into a bigger truck is when theyll start messing with you thats why so many guys use are trucks for Transport

Like everyone else has said. Say its farm use. The state laws don't apply to you unless you are commercial or being unsafe in how its loaded or chained down.

you guys are wrong on the farm use stuff. It used to be like that but not anymore. Ask a local farmer about the dot rules implemented with them having to have all the numbers on the truck to even haul the grain to the elevator. Im not saying i wouldnt take the chance cause i do all the time. There are no loopholes to not donate money to the goverment anymore.LOL

you guys are wrong on the farm use stuff. It used to be like that but not anymore. Ask a local farmer about the dot rules implemented with them having to have all the numbers on the truck to even haul the grain to the elevator. Im not saying i wouldnt take the chance cause i do all the time. There are no loopholes to not donate money to the goverment anymore.LOL

There are a whole bunch of rules when it comes to farm use but there is a difference in this case. Buying and hauling a tractor to his farm isn't earning him money. It is his own personal piece of equipment. Now, If he dropped that piece of equipment off at point B and collected a check then he would have had to be DOT legal before he even left his driveway. Grain is a commodity and if he is hauling it to an elevator to collect a paycheck then he has to be DOT legal. If he is hauling hay from the field over the road within a certain distance of his farm to feed his cattle then he doesn't need to comply. I was born and raised on a farm and I had to learn all about Intrastate and Interstate commerce as it applies to the business.

There are a whole bunch of rules when it comes to farm use but there is a difference in this case. Buying and hauling a tractor to his farm isn't earning him money. It is his own personal piece of equipment. Now, If he dropped that piece of equipment off at point B and collected a check then he would have had to be DOT legal before he even left his driveway. Grain is a commodity and if he is hauling it to an elevator to collect a paycheck then he has to be DOT legal. If he is hauling hay from the field over the road within a certain distance of his farm to feed his cattle then he doesn't need to comply. I was born and raised on a farm and I had to learn all about Intrastate and Interstate commerce as it applies to the business.

Farming is a commercial business.

If over 26k he will need a CDL if past 150 miles.