Hauling tractor from Mississippi back to Ohio? Legal?

...And it goes by licenced weight of truck and trailer combo, not your actual gross weight. Anything lic. over 26k you need a Class A CDL period! My trucks are lic with 10k plates and my trailer is rated at 15k but I have it lic. as 16k (because of increments). Some my combo is 26k... I'm ok, but this guy has a heavier rated trailer and will be needing a CDL

in ohio you can say its farm use and dont have to worrie about weight as long as your 150 miles from your farm. any farther than that and im not sure on the rules

If you're runnin farm tags in KY and you blow by scales pullin a trailer they might come after you.

I don't know if they care what you weigh, but they want all farm tags to weigh on the way through.

...And it goes by licenced weight of truck and trailer combo, not your actual gross weight.

That really depends on his home state. Interstate goes by GVWR alone but many states go by GVWR, Licensed weight or actual weight, whichever is higher.

...Anything lic. over 26k you need a Class A CDL period!

Nada. In the right combination you can go to 33k without a CDL.

I'm speaking from expierence. Yes which ever is higher(GVWR or Lic.). What is the right combo of 33k? Never heard of it and my friend works at a WI DOT scale.

I'm speaking from expierence. Yes which ever is higher(GVWR or Lic. or Actual). What is the right combo of 33k? Never heard of it and my friend works at a WI DOT scale.

Sorry. Meant to say 36k.

Basically any truck up to 26k GVWR can be driven without CDL. That same truck can tow a trailer up to 10k without a CDL. So as long as the trailer is 10k or under it is possible to have a 36k combination without a CDL.

We once had to move a drilling rig across the border between two provinces it was -58c and no body wanted to split the derrick for it to be legal so we decided that moving it at night would work out just fine. The fines for moving a rig at night and that oversized would of been retarded. But the truckers took all backroads and did there best at staying out of site probably cause theyd loose there licenses ,but where there a will theres a way just do it at night. And if all else fails put together sentences like that blond lol

Man a lot of ya'll need to reread the fmsca rules. First any combo over 26 is required to have a class A it doesnt have to be a cdl. Anything that is above 26 gross and towing a trailer under 10 k is a class B. The farm rules apply to 150 air mile radius. They rate all vehicles in any class as by what they can haul not what you license them for.If that was the case i could pay for a higher weight tag and never get a over weight ticket. So his truck and trailer is a class A due to the dual tandem. Best thing to do is to put a not for hire sticker on it and carry your tractor paper work to show its yours. Most coops are closed between11:30 to about 5 am. If anything call the states dot offices and ask, it mite save you time and cash in the long run. If you dant have the right dl they can red tag you and you will have to have someone with the right dl drive your set up. Not saying dont do it, but at least get some real info from those states dot offices. Yea i used to hot shot and they are looking for pickups more then ever now because of this very reason with people running commercial.

Man a lot of ya'll need to reread the fmsca rules.

Likewise.

First any combo over 26 is required to have a class A it doesnt have to be a cdl.

Not true on 2 fronts. First it only requires a class A if the combo is over 26k and the towed trailer is over 10k. Second many state don't have a Non Commercial class A.

Anything that is above 26 gross GVWR and towing a trailer under 10 k is a class B.

The farm rules apply to 150 air mile radius. They rate all vehicles in any class as by what they can haul not what you license them for.If that was the case i could pay for a higher weight tag and never get a over weight ticket.

Many states go by licensed weight if that is higher than GVWR.

So his truck and trailer is a class A due to the dual tandem.

Not here it wouldn't be if you are going to claim personal use exemption.

Sorry but you need to double check your stuff. My state has a non cdl class a. You can tag your stuff for higher gvwr but if its over the manufacturers specs or over the tire weight rating you will receive a over weight ticket. I deal with dot certified officers all the time. I can tag my dump truck for 60k but the legal manufacture and tire ratings are only for 48k so anything over that is a overweight ticket. Anything that is over 26 and not towing a trailer is class B its called a straight truck .(a)(1) Combination vehicle (Group A)—Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

(a)(2) Heavy Straight Vehicle (Group B)—Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) GVWR.

there is no such thing as personal use exemption and if there is please show me that law and link so i may copy it and glady show to the dot next time i hae to deal with them farm statement per tx commercial reg
A vehicle that is controlled and operated by a farmer;
and used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery,
or farm supplies to or from a farm; and not used in
the operations of a common or contract motor carrier; and
used within 150 air miles of the person’s farm. PO PO you need to double check your dot information

Ive hauled alot of tractors with my 32ft 20k trailer and my DRW Dodge. I have a Class A but I dont have numbers on my truck or trailer. Im not saying im 100% legal all the time but ive never had any run ins with the law. I always make sure my load is secure with at least 4 chains crossed and if its a back hoe I believe you have to have a chain over the stick. I also do a very thorough pre trip lights, tires and tie downs are the major things to check and what DOT looks at. If you are worried about it I would pick it up and leave late and travel 3rd shift with the truckers and listen to the CB.

Sorry but you need to double check your stuff. My state has a non cdl class a.

Same to you. You may need a class A in TX but that ain't the case in all states.

Here if it doesn't require a CDL then all it needs is a good ol class D license.

I will look up the personnel use exemption later as I don't have time right now but it is basically the same as the RV exemption.

well last time i checked no matter if its a farm truck or not you still need a class a dl wether its cdl or non cdl for any combo over 26k. Yes there is a rv exemption, but last time i checked a flatbed trailer is not a rv, so any dot trooper will tell you it doesnt fall under that catagory it just means you dont need any numbers.

well last time i checked no matter if its a farm truck or not you still need a class a dl wether its cdl or non cdl for any combo over 26k.

Again just because it is over 26k doesn't mean it is a class A. For example a 26k truck towing a 10k trailer is only a class C. Even in TEXAS. We don't have a Non commercial class A,B, or C so one can't be required.

Yes there is a rv exemption, but last time i checked a flatbed trailer is not a rv, so any dot trooper will tell you it doesnt fall under that catagory it just means you dont need any numbers.

If it doesn't meet the RV/personal exemption why would it not need numbers?

That only works if the trailer is under 10k anything over 10k its not a C. Yea those states who do not have a non cdl class A require it to be a cdl if i have understood what others are saying in their states. It wouldnt need numbers if its not crossing state lines or doing any commerce, but i do believe the laws are changing and even requiring farm and ranch vehicle to have them if they are class A.. Since you seem to be a lawman by your handle i am wondering if your dot certified or have ever done anything needing dot.

That only works if the trailer is under 10k anything over 10k its not a C.
Anything?

I am just showing that your blanket statements don't work.

Yea those states who do not have a non cdl class A require it to be a cdl if i have understood what others are saying in their states.

Wrong. If it doesn't require a CDL here then all it needs is a class D. Even if it is an 80k RV and trailer.

It wouldnt need numbers if its not crossing state lines or doing any commerce, but i do believe the laws are changing and even requiring farm and ranch vehicle to have them if they are class A.. Since you seem to be a lawman by your handle i am wondering if your dot certified or have ever done anything needing dot.

Farm trucks over the CDL threshold already need numbers here. No I am not a lawman.

You show me where it says that RV is exempt and I will show you where personal use is too.

No. Like i said if it doesn't need a CDL than all it needs is a class D. You can drive a

Last edited:
Mine are not blank statements. those are what i am pulling off txdot and fmsca websites. Here http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/documents/DL-7C.pdf read page iv theres the rv exemption and there is no personal exemption. Please show me a state that lets a 80k combo go with a regular dl. Please show me proof that if it doesnt need a cdl you dont need anything but a regular dl, because i have a few dot certified state troopers i would love to show that to.

i've got a class A and all my endorsements, so i pull whatever the hell i want. LOL

same here other then hazmat and tripples. Just trying to help a guy from trying to get red tagged and lose a lot of cash from misinformation. also noticed nobody mentioned it mite not hurt to carry a log book to cya.

Mine are not blank statements. those are what i am pulling off txdot and fmsca websites. Here http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/documents/DL-7C.pdf read page iv theres the rv exemption and there is no personal exemption. Please show me a state that lets a 80k combo go with a regular dl. Please show me proof that if it doesnt need a cdl you dont need anything but a regular dl, because i have a few dot certified state troopers i would love to show that to.

I never said you were making blank statements. I said blanket. Your one size fits all just don't work.

WI. It is real simple. It is in no way involved in commerce therefore doesn't require a CDL. If it doesn't need a CDL all it needs is a standard class D.

Last edited:
Back