Head Gasket lets go...for the third time

gdh11

Army Lifer
I am not whining or crying and I know if you wanna play you got to pay but this is getting ridiculous. I am obviously doing something wrong. So far my 04 5.9 has had three head gaskets let go. I rarely use it at all and mainly because a majority of the time it is in the shop so I resorted to buying a new truck because the 04 has become totally unreliable. It has MPI twins, Flux 3.4 injectors, twin CP3s, a Helix cam and springs with an MP-8 and Smarty and a full billet DTT trans. I use it to tow but it is turned way down when towing. Even when not towing I have never had the Smarty over 5 and the MP8 over 33%. I think the head was o-ringed when the twins were installed. Does anyone have any suggestions to make this constant problem go away once and for all. I blew an intercooler boot last week and after ordering the boot and installing it and idling the truck the head gasket let go pushing oil and water from the front of the motor. This is the third head gasket in two years and less than 15K miles. If anyone has any suggestions or hints about what I could be doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it.

You think the head was o-ringed??????? I would hope you knew before the thrid head gasket that it had been done. Im guessing its not or your not doing the retorque on the head. is it studded?

Last edited:
I would say either your head or block is not flat, what head studs do u have?

need answsers to the above. I run a 12v ppump 400hp+/900tq+ twins. truck and trailer 25,000#+ I don't slow down on the hills push 55-60# of boost alot. I have arp studs, no o-rings or fire rings the block and head were shaved 1-2 thousnds for cleanup and flatness. I also stone the head and block, I torque head twice then bring up to temp shut down let cool overnight retorque no issues in over 100k.

Sorry I have been tied up with work. It is studded with ARP 425s. The head is o-ringed. When this is done I drive the truck for 500 miles and do not go over 10 lbs of boost on the primary, very easy driving and then I have it retorqued. Last time it was done was less than a year ago. I was going to do it after a year. It is pissing oil and water from the front of the engine. Both times I have had the head checked to ensure it is flat and that there are no issues that could cause this. Again any help will be appreciated, I am at a loss and just looking for any advise of what keep causing this. I am not going to sell it or give up on it but it is getting very frustrating and expensive. The other problem is that I have a 5th Wheel RV that has to be moved in about a month and I have to have it done for that move. My other truck is not setup for a gooseneck/5th wheel. Also, I am not the one doing the work on this truck and I am currently in KS but headed back to NC in a month or so, active duty and headed back to the 82d ABN.

Last edited:
I would be curious what the spec is on the o-ring and how much it protrudes from the head to make sure its far enough

I dont know that info but I can find out when it goes into the machine shop here shortly. Hopefully it will be off the engine by the end of this week. I am getting the feeling that this is from the retorque not being done or not done again soon enough. There are lots of guys that say they have this same setup and have had no issues. As far as the block not being straight I cant speak to that but will have that checked once the head is off. I have about 150K on the motor, bottom end is all stock.

That would be a good guess. i do them till they stop moving. 1 retorque isnt enough

I'd bet the Block isnt Flat. I had a valley in the block, Intake side of #1 between the water and oil passages. Take a flat edge to the block and make sure its flat.

I appreciate all the info. I just spoke to the guy doing the work and he will check the block and also have the machine shop check the oring size as well. Thanks, and I guess I need to get good at doing the retorque myself from now on.

After all those re tq's you might wanna get some new studs. I'm sure your current ones are streched. I highly reccomend the 625's

huh? .030 protrusion on o-rings? :confused:

I'm thinking .008-.012" MAX!!!!!!!!!!

no need for o-rings on a mild CR IMO with a good set of studs.

I'm betting on a frowning block, smiling head, and poor o-ring job

Sorry I meant to say the groove is .030 so protrusion is .011 on .041 wire

It has had maybe two retorques, one when initially installed with the twins and one here when the head gasket blew on the way out here. Are those studs that fragile? I have checked around and a lot of folks told me they run studs that hold 70-90 lbs of boost that are the 425s like I have. Are they really that weak that they cant handle a few retorques?

studs should be fine. unless they were way over torqued or streched beyond design you can retorque them over and over and over and well you get the point the only other way is to wear out the threads.

Few recommendations.

ARP 625's!!!!!

You NEED to have someone trustworthy look at the HG when it comes off and make SURE the rings are centered and everything was cut right at the machine shop..

When I had my o-ring'd head and using a Mumau Diesel modded 12v gasket to match all CR ports / holes, I would do one heat cycle and a retorque Before ever even moving the truck!! That gaskets and oring's need to settle / crush a bit after a full opp temp heat cycle... Mine would move quiet a bit just from that..

Then drive it a bit but Baby it! Very low boost....The Do Another Re-torque!!

I'm a Fan of the last retorque being a WARM torque, just to give the final crush while those rings are plyable.....

Now I don't use oing's ... just a CR MLS gasket and some 625's with some retorques... 75 psi max and no probs...

Good luck man! Call Jeff (Snedge) at Mumau and get a CNC's 12v HG that's matched to the CR block... Get some 625's... Do the retorques or at least stand over the guy that does... Don't look back!

just my .02

OH!! don't forget to Lash the valve after EVERY retorque!

Last edited: