Head Gasket lets go...for the third time

I appreciate the advice and will pay attention to all of it. I have 425s on it and was hoping to use those again, will the 625s hold that much better than the 425s to be worth another $1100?! I will be ordering the gasket so the machine shop can look at the head and gasket to ensure that everything lines up. Thanks again and I will let you know how it comes out.

I appreciate the advice and will pay attention to all of it. I have 425s on it and was hoping to use those again, will the 625s hold that much better than the 425s to be worth another $1100?! I will be ordering the gasket so the machine shop can look at the head and gasket to ensure that everything lines up. Thanks again and I will let you know how it comes out.

Not saying the 425's aren't good but the 625's are far superior to most everthing out there... I will pm you a number for a less expensive source on them .

I know the head was o-ringed since it is to be used on the street. The more I look into this and talk to folks the more it looks like a retorque problem. It is pouring out oil and water from the front of the head but none of the cylinders have anything in them. It is going to get taken apart this weekend.

I assume they are using a typical Cummins torque pattern. Is there another one that should be used? Also, how do I know if the gasket is MLS...what does MLS stand for?

Last edited:
If I read it right, you said your loosing oil and water? If that is the case the combustion is staying sealed in. You may have too much protusion, not allowing the remainder of the gasket to seal.

True dat
If I read it right, you said your loosing oil and water? If that is the case the combustion is staying sealed in. You may have too much protusion, not allowing the remainder of the gasket to seal.

Sounds right!

All machine work is not created equal.

Update...so far my mechanic has broken a brand new injector removal tool on the second injector so he had to order another. From what he said a lot of the bolts were tightened too tight by the last shop. We will have to see when the rest of it comes apart this weekend if the tool doesn't break again.

So how many times would one suggest doing a retorque on a fresh hg? I just put one on my truck and have not had time to retorque it yet. I have been drivin it babying it around mostly for about 2 weeks now. I am guessing I need to get my ass out there and retorque it asap...:bang

Injector removal tool? Off topic I know but what is that needed for? Cr injectors usually pop out relatively easy...

I don't know but I was told he broke the first one on the second injector. I have never done any injector removal so I don't know. It sounds like I need to spend more time under the hood and maybe do more work on my own. I just don't have the time.

Agreed!!

I can ususally remove cr injectors with a rag for grip and a good tug by hand...

Not sure what he's refering too that he broke.. I'm start to be skeptical of this shop doing your work...