head studs and input shaft

Dpope1298

Ok so ive got a 98 12 valve and im getting ready to put 150 hp injectors in it and bump up the timing. Ive read that bumping the timing will increase boost a little. My question is how much can stock studs hold and my other question is how much hp can the stock input shaft hold up to?:poke:

I have a buddy on here that runs 6x.016's and a 66 on a p pump 24v and he hit's 60lbs of boost and should be 600hp and still has stock bolts lol just do a lot of re-torques and they should last for a little while.

ya i was just fugureing go with it for a while and see what happens thanks for the info

Stock input shaft? depends on how you abuse it in most cases. BigBlue24 has a budget build on a 2wd truck and he ran the best of 12.20 with the stock input and a single disk billet torque converter.

Like i said, depends...

Do you have any tranny work done? if its a stock trans i think the input will be ok, the convertor probably not so much...

I was the one mentioned above thats still running stock gasket/bolts. Always let my engine come up to temp, other than that i guess im just lucky.

bolts will hold a lot more than most people think. when i got my cam i was talking to fletcher @ diesel pros and he said with stock bolts and o ringed head he runs 120+ lbs of boost going for speed records in one of his trucks. as for the input my brother broke one at around 400hp but he was doing a locked 1st to second shift in a dually, burning tire in first and hooked in second, but the input kept going, that was with a ATS 5 star converter. you should be good for a while though, i pulled 60lbs in my truck for a while before my stock bolts and gasket let go.

Ya I've got a stage two shift kit an triple disc converter an some vavle body work done to the tranny so I'm not worried about that to much just the shaft. Well that's what I was thinking on the head studs an shaft I just need to hear it from some other people. Cool thanks everybody

the upgraded parts i think is what led my brothers to break... his shifted from 1st to second so fast and hard it shocked the input and cracked the basket and stripped all the splines and was just spinning the shaft inside the basket,

I broke mine just driving and when i went to pass the person infront of me it broke.

O that's good to know cause once I do injectors I'm pumping the timing up on it so I'll have to keep an eye on that

studs are only like $400-500 I would just do em while you're in there personally, but that's just me, what're you running for a turbo?

ya that would probably be the smart thing to do but lack of cash is a problem. Im still running the stock turbo. Who knows when that will get its upgrade since we are now trying to build whitni's truck some.

yeah i hear you there, I ran around with my current turbo for like 5 months before i put studs on, granted it was gated at 45, but that's still alot more air from that thing than a stocker at that psi, i'd say retorque head bolts to like 130-135 in 5 lb increments

ya that would probably be the smart thing to do but lack of cash is a problem. Im still running the stock turbo. Who knows when that will get its upgrade since we are now trying to build whitni's truck some.

If a lack of cash is the problem, you probably shouldn't try to "upgrade" your truck.

:doh: