Helix 2 vs MaxSpool? Opinions

Nothing spectacular, but it does show a bit more top end than the other graphs. The 459 pull is smarty only like the other graphs

Last edited:
Looking for opinions.... my gear walked off the cam and pushed out the rear plug. Im going to do an updated cam while its out and was wondering after reading this thread about using a cam with a bolt on gear I dont want to do this job again anytime soon. Thoughts? This is on the 12 valve I own.

Signal 73 said:
Looking for opinions.... my gear walked off the cam and pushed out the rear plug. Im going to do an updated cam while its out and was wondering after reading this thread about using a cam with a bolt on gear I dont want to do this job again anytime soon. Thoughts? This is on the 12 valve I own.

Wow, pushed out the rear plug....is that a somewhat common occurence with gear walk?
Was this a stock cam and gear?

Bolt-on gear is worth it if you're running a large injection pump.

I have a helix2 cam Ive had it for around two months I kinda got my hopes up but I really dont notice a thing other than it sounds louder on the top end? does this sound right

THEKIDFAN said:
Wow, pushed out the rear plug....is that a somewhat common occurence with gear walk?
Was this a stock cam and gear?
It was stock cam and gear, beats me if its common? Started leaking oil so we pulled the trans and found the cam plug pushed out and cam was almost flush with the block. inside of cam plug had wear marks like it was riding on the cam.

Signal 73 said:
It was stock cam and gear, beats me if its common? Started leaking oil so we pulled the trans and found the cam plug pushed out and cam was almost flush with the block. inside of cam plug had wear marks like it was riding on the cam.
That is very common, the lobe for the lift pump was probabley what was keeping it from popping out more that it did. Look at that lobe.

I dont run the stock lift pump anymore, been using the aeromotive setup. But it was noticed quickly due to the oil leak and not driven after that.
Yes it is a built injection pump joefarmer

After seeing a stock snapped cam and hearing of a few reports over the Internet, I decided a cam with the bolt on gear was the right way to go for me. At the time F1 was the the only one that offered the bolt on gear set-up so that made my decision easy.

got cover off today and swapped cam with a F-1 bolt on gear here are the pics from the stock cam. was rubbing inside the front timing case cover and pushed out cam plug out back. Big pump guys watch those gears!

camwalk1.jpg

camwalk.jpg

Definitely a cringe moment when the cover was removed... ouch.

Dang that thing was really out there. Makes me glad i went ahead and paid a little extra for the bolt on gear.

So far, I am liking my Helix 2.

With the head porting, I got another 200 rpm of useable power. It really spools the twins at 1600.

So you gained 200 rpm of useable power on the bottom end? How about the top, notice any difference pulling harder farther up the rpm band? Thanks

lit her off this weekend....but did not turn on the blue box so I could get a good feel for how the top end is without added fuel.

Compared to the stock HO pump (running a SO Pump now), the truck feels very similar on top. Revs to redline very well. I dropped boost back to ~42 psi on the twins, and WOT with the EZ, and Mach 5.8 sticks....900-1000F on the pyro.

Kinda forgot how loud that 50mm external gate is!!!

Signature600 said:
Do you mean the oil was a "test " oil, or that you had the oil tested?? How do you have proof that the truck wasn't run hot? Another video?

I find it hilarious that you can actually believe that a truck with coolant pouring out of a crack in the side of a block wouldn't be hotter in some places than others?

You do your own engine work??
Thanks, but no thanks!
Chris

And before you say anything, I realize my truck is SLOW...but I don't blame anyone else for problems that I have created myself;)
yep i like to build slow trucks :hehe: And before you say anything, I realize my truck is SLOW...but I don't blame anyone else for problems that I have created myself

Boy, you were real quick on that one.

As far as building slow trucks, I'm working somewhat on a budget here, and have been without my ride for about 7 months...will it still be slow when I get done, I don't know, and don't care..but if it's slow, I'll blame me, not someone else;)

So far, I've not seen anything out of you but half-witted comments and 5 year old accomplishments. Time to step it up a bit;)

Chris

You have to admit, parked for seven months *is* pretty slow :hehe: :hehe:

Well its winter time now, might as well take it slow and maybe add some extra gravy =P

Back