Help adjusting gov springs

Yeah, you can run it from your boost elbow, or you can just get a tee for it. Or you can even go from your intake manifold if you're lazy. But definitely hook it up.

Read through this and copy it:
afc mods (lots of pics) - DieselRam.com

It should make your truck a lot lot better on the street instead of just running tons of fuel, it will help you control it based on boost as well.
After you read that and if you understand what you are doing with each of these 'mods' to the AFC, you should be in good shape to tune the AFC how you want it.

The outer spring is the idle spring, it is reused with most 4 and 5k sets

Yeah, you can run it from your boost elbow, or you can just get a tee for it. Or you can even go from your intake manifold if you're lazy. But definitely hook it up.

Read through this and copy it:
afc mods (lots of pics) - DieselRam.com

It should make your truck a lot lot better on the street instead of just running tons of fuel, it will help you control it based on boost as well.
After you read that and if you understand what you are doing with each of these 'mods' to the AFC, you should be in good shape to tune the AFC how you want it.

With the AFC not being hooked up, he is actually limiting the fuel. once he has boost hooked up, the AFC foot will move out of the way and allow the arm to come forward and in turn, more fuel to be delivered.

That's true unless the previous owner of the pump removed the afc arm from it. He did say the last guy ran without it hooked up also.

That's true unless the previous owner of the pump removed the afc arm from it. He did say the last guy ran without it hooked up also.

If there is no arm in the afc it is not going to make a difference if it is hooked up or not. I would say pull it off and verify there is one there and if there isn't, i would say get one and tune it to your liking

I took it apart yesterday. The afc foot is there still. It has the foot ground slightly. I went ahead and adjusted it using regulated air pressure and its set at around 35 psi wide open. I hvent got a chance to put it on yet tho

Went ahead and installed the afc again today. Slid my fuel plate back towards the cab to cut down on some smoke for now!

Ive got a ????? Isnt the arm in the back supposed to ride up against the afc arm and the fuel plate. When i installed the plate i worked the throttle, and at notime did it ever hit he plate. And I really cant imagine it hits the afc either!

All in all today I was able to drive it a little easier today.still gets into the jerking every now and again but was better. Mite try to turn those springs back a click still. Im really trying not to tear them apart becuase im afraid of dropping something in the pump!

chicken

Get a magnet and pull those springs out. See what you have. The only thing really small enough to fall in the pump is the retainer nut portion of the assembly. So be careful ,but it is not really hard at all.

The nut and the shims if there are any. Pull the gov springs apart!

The govenor arm wont hit the afc/fuel plate untill the gov assembly is spinning, (engine running)

Thanks for clearing that up AHALE! I probably wont get around to pulling them till after christmas now but I will let u all know what ive found! Thanks for all u guys help!

its also pretty hard to drop anything from the gov springs when doin them through the side of the pump. there is a VERY small gap around the outside diameter of the idle spring for anything to fall through.