Help finding a mechanic please!

manual_tranny

Cummins & TDI Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I love diesels and learning about them, I often do timing belt changes and other major maintenance on TDIs. I can't find a mechanic willing to let me watch and/or help out with my 24V 5.9! I'm willing to pay AND help out however I can.. all I need is an honest mechanic who is good at working on 24V 2nd gens and willing to educate me about my truck by showing me what they are doing. If it takes longer because we're talking, I'll pay you more for the knowledge.

I currently have an air ingress, (hard starting unless parked on a hill nose down) I'm sitting on new 75hp DDP injectors and I need to get them installed quickly so I can get my deposit back. It's also past time for this truck to have it's valves adjusted, and I'd like a fuel pressure gauge mounted safely inside the cab. The transfer case is busted, so if you have any recommendations to go to or to stay away from I'd appreciate them!

I live in Illinois and I'm willing to travel.. I'm planning a trip to Florida so any mechanic from the midwest to the southeast would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome! Illinois is a big state so it might help by telling us what part or the town. Im in NE Iowa and would teach you for FREE.

:Cheer:welcome to the site. I'm sure that you will find someone one on here that should be pretty close to you.

Welcome, as Chris said Illinois is a big state, what part you from?

Welcome! Illinois is a big state so it might help by telling us what part or the town. Im in NE Iowa and would teach you for FREE.

Wow thanks! I live in Normal, IL... probably no more than 3-6 hours away. It's nice when karma comes around.. I've done 5 timing belt changes for free this year and taken the time to explain all about TDIs to people... what a nice treat to receive help for a change! I will certainly pay you something though, it takes quite a lot of time to tear these things apart and put them back together... no?

I don't have a shop to work in, so hopefully you know somewhere warm? If not, I could try and rent a place nearby. Thanks for the quick reply and kind offer!
:Cheer:

Also, there is a large heated shop 30mins NE of Geneseo I could use anytime... I could pay you for traveling if that would be easier.

Last edited:
Im near Waukon and Decorah Iowa and own a diesel shop that I run full time and if your willing to make a drive Ill be happy to help you out no charge!

Chris is good people, that is a heck of an offer man, take him up on it if you have the time to make the drive.

Yeah that is one heck of an offer, thank you a million!

Chris- you pick the day and time that is most convenient for you, and I'll be there! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Most any weekend Ill take time to lend a hand. If weekends dont work just let me know. My work schedule is usually full for weekdays but I can move stuff around to help ya. My number is 563-546-7772

I'll give you a call tomorrow and we'll figure out which weekend works best for you. This really makes my day... and it just happens to be my birthday, what a coincidence!

I'm not close to you but if your injectors didn't come with delivery tube orings order a set. Thatis for sure what is causing the hard start.

I'm not close to you but if your injectors didn't come with delivery tube orings order a set. Thatis for sure what is causing the hard start.

:Cheer: he is correct but I didnt mention it because I have dozens of those items on hand.

Sorry but I have to post six more times before I can pm so I'm posting junk so I can pm chris...