Help finding a mechanic please!

Sorry but I have to post six more times before I can pm so I'm posting junk so I can pm chris...

There is an import diesel section on here. If you'd like to contribute to the site and get your post count up, get in on a conversation about TDIs there.$.02

I really appreciate the site and I promise that I will contribute when I have time. Right now I've got a lot of projects going on and I just wanted to send a pm... I figured it would be OK since I kept the non-posts to my own thread.

I really appreciate the site and I promise that I will contribute when I have time. Right now I've got a lot of projects going on and I just wanted to send a pm... I figured it would be OK since I kept the non-posts to my own thread.

No sweat, I wasn't sure you knew that topic was out there. Welcome to CompD. Good to see another central Illinoisan on here. PM me if you need any help.

Wow guys Mike here REALLY got took on this truck. He came up today and I helped him get his injectors installed. Some of the things that I seen makes me want to badly go find the guy who sold him the truck!

1) all 6 injector lines were loose at the head and leaking fuel EVERYWHERE!
2) most of the crossovers were literally missing the o-rings and looked like they were used to drive in pole shed nails!
3) a few different thickness copper washers used in the install of really nasty looking injectors and one injector missing the washer completely!
4) 2 MIA intake plate bolts (sucking in diesel fuel from the leaking lines)
5) no intake plate gasket!
6) no grid heater gaskets!
7) plugged radiator from a nasty puke bottle!
8) missing over half the injector line clamps!
9) valve lash were around double of OEM.
etc etc but those are things we addressed

The truck overall is pretty decent but needs alot of TLC due to the ratard who sold it to him. Im anxious for him to get home and shoot me a PM with the sellers CF info!

It was a pleasure meeting you Mike and Im more than sure you will be an asset to the forum!

Last edited:
Good to hear you were able to show him the way around the truck and fix those things. Hopefully he can get it all TLC'd up and running like a top again soon.

I learned a lot! I can't say thank you enough!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I assumed that I was buying a truck that would need some work and I was looking forward to fixing things, I just didn't know that there would be so many things wrong!

The motor is running smoother, much more responsive, much more powerful, and judging by the fuel gauge near 20mpg with large mud tires! (305/70-16). After getting 6-10mpg in my old '97 dually F350 with a 460 for the last 5 years, I'm in heaven!

Even better is knowing that I'm a giant leap closer to feeling less helpless when I decide to take a trip with the truck. If something goes wrong, I'm a bit less inept when I look under the hood!

I'll definitely schedule some more work for you Chris when you have time, (front bumper and transfer case first... perhaps I'll get the itch for performance in the next year or two..), and you can bet I'll do my best to send other diesel owners your way.

Chris, great to meet you man... I look forward to visiting your shop again soon!

Last edited:
Your very welcome Mike and Im glad I was able to help you out. Now Im off to go raise some hell with a certain CF member!

Welcome to Comp D and nice to know there are folks like Chris out there. :D Looks like a win win!

Well by reading over on CF it looks like he stalks around here too...the tard who sold Mike this truck that is. I left that tard some buyer/seller feedback over there. Curious what his excuses will be.

So was this work he claimed to do himself or did say it is just an old beater, as is, take it or leave it?

Sounds like he don't know com'mere from sick-em to me.

He knew Mike was a newb to Cummins so he stuck it to him and did a horse sh!t job putting it back together when he pulled his big injectors back out. By his posts on CF he was running DDP 250's with a Smarty / Redline stack on a otherwise stock truck.....

I realized this morning that the only cummins diesel I've driven before this one is a friend's beat-up old early 90's farm truck with a bad clutch/transmission. Point is... when I went for the test drive I had no idea what to compare it to as I listened for or felt for things wrong. It took a couple of hours of driving it for me to hear the pinging/tapping sounds Chris resolved and to notice that the boost didn't do much until after 2000rpm. Also, the test drive was with no power steering, which was a big distraction... and the truck was NOT licensed or insured when I did my test drive. I'm just trying to explain how I totally missed so many of these major issues when I first looked at it. I wasn't thinking about the truck, I was thinking.. how do I avoid an accident and/or police stopping me on this unlicensed truck with bad brakes and no P/S! :D

Just to clarify, here's a quick summary of the "truth" as told by the previous owner.

1. "The most I ever threw in the truck was 100hp injectors"
(-definitely not true, definitely he knew he was lying on this point)
2. "4wd works fine"
-There's a small chance that when he broke his front prop shaft and took it off, that he was unaware of the damage he had done to his transfer case. He has since taken down the video of his truck pull with a loud "snap" at the end of it.
3. "I've done a little pulling with it"
-I misunderstood him to mean that he used it to pull trailers occasionally, not drag sleds. I take full responsibility for misunderstanding him on this point. Most non-newb forum members would know that pulling almost always refers to competition.
4. Seller disclosed a few things wrong with the truck AFTER I'd driven 11h 30mins to get to his town... like the p/s and brake booster pump wasn't functioning. He was nice enough to give me an extra P/S pump (used and unknown condition) but it turned out all that was needed was a new hose. It was just leaking fluid... :rolleyes:
5. Tires on the truck were unsafe and one was going flat. (not advertised) I had to buy a new set of tires before I could even think of driving hitting a stretch of highway.

The good news?

1. I found my way to this forum and met Chris, who is twice as generous and helpful as the dodgecummins7 guy was a shyster.

2. Feels like rescuing a sick dog... that is to say... it feels good to know I helped save this fine motor from further butcherings...

Last edited:
Oh, a few more 'surprises" I forgot to mention:

The rear passenger door handle is broken, tailgate handle and latch system is falling apart/bent, parking brake cable is disconnected, reverse lights disconnected, and the trailer lights were wired incorrectly. The batteries were the wrong size (too small). The HVAC system isn't working right... a fan intermittently squeals very loudly and the air only comes out of defrost no matter which way the knob is pointed. On the bright side, if I had to pick one place for air to come out, I guess I'd have to pick defrost! :rolleyes:

Wow sorry for the bad luck man glad there are still good people in this nation willing to help. Hope you get all the bugs worked out and enjoy your Cummins