Help needed....a lot of help...

Don't take offense to this but...

Why not drop the "dyno" goal of having a "700 hp" truck and build a fun 5 speed street truck? Have you driven a high hp diesel truck before or just want to have one?

Unless you plan is for competition, why spend all the extra money and time when more of it could be driving vs. fixing your ride. If you move away from the idea of building a "high hp truck" to building a fun street truck, you"ll end of with a better end result. If you get tired of driving a 400-500hp truck then step of the game then.

This^ post explanes my goal to the tee, but everyone always asks "how much power do you want to make?" I really don't care how much hp/tq it makes, all I want is to be able to tow 10-12k lbs, roll on the throttle & break the tires loose and most of all make as little smoke as possible.

http://dieselautopower.com/borg-warn...63-68-177283d/

I had this option selected (Borg Warner S300 T4 Turbine Housing. Fits 76/68 Turbine Wheel 0.91 AR Divided Twin Scroll.)

If i go with this (liking it a lot).

I woulld go with the STEEDSPEED manifold....now, do i need a wastgate port and what kind of wastegate should/would i do?

http://dieselautopower.com/borg-warn...63-68-177283d/

I had this option selected (Borg Warner S300 T4 Turbine Housing. Fits 76/68 Turbine Wheel 0.91 AR Divided Twin Scroll.)

If i go with this (liking it a lot).

I woulld go with the STEEDSPEED manifold....now, do i need a wastgate port and what kind of wastegate should/would i do?

Why not look for a used Super B or Super B Special to start off your hp endeavor?

While not going to win an hp competition, there already plenty of build combos/threads around the turbo to help guide you to your goal. Also, no need to change exhaust manifolds unless yours is cracked or warped, the T3 will hit 500hp no problem.

Last edited:
You might as well get a wastegate port if you are considering compounds in the future. If not then a wastegated turbine housing would get the job done nicely as a single. The new sxe line has great flow numbers and are up on the old design by about 10 to 15% depending on model. 62/68sxe with the .91 t4 or wastegated t3 housing would support plenty of fun usable power on a 12v.

62/68 sxe and a steed are in the ball park price of a "bolt on" t3 gated turbo from one of the big companies and you are way ahead IMO with the steed and 62/68. It will drive nice and allow you to expand in the future when the bug bites again.

62/68 sxe and a steed are in the ball park price of a "bolt on" t3 gated turbo from one of the big companies and you are way ahead IMO with the steed and 62/68. It will drive nice and allow you to expand in the future when the bug bites again.[/QUOTE

How much are one of the gated t3 housings compared to the extra cost of a 38 or 44mm external gate? I would obviously go for the e-gate, but as a single I would think it's more of a preference thing. I try not to tell people that they need to spend any more money than they have to far a given goal, but if cost is reasonably close to a gated housing then I would see zero reason to use anything other than an external gate. $.02

I'll give you my combo, it's a fun street truck, (never been on the dyno) and is very responsive. I wanted a quick spooling single charger truck that I can still tow with and be able to play on the street with.

Single cab 4x4 on 35's

FASS 220 with sump
Benched 180 pump, dual fed,4k springs, AFC work,. 024 delivery valves, overflow valve OFV060HP
Head studs
Valve springs
ATS T4 manifold
63/68 /83 T4 non wastegated

It's no 700 horsepower truck but it's still fun to drive

Question, I was just reading thru and I see you aren't running a wastegate, I am going to stick with a 62/68/.91 divided on a steedspeed t4, 5x.14 injectors 4kgov.

Can I get away with no gate with studs and o-rings? Ive seached but cant find an answer I trust.

Question, I was just reading thru and I see you aren't running a wastegate, I am going to stick with a 62/68/.91 divided on a steedspeed t4, 5x.14 injectors 4kgov.

Can I get away with no gate with studs and o-rings? Ive seached but cant find an answer I trust.
Nothing is set in stone but I would say you'll be fine as long as you don't spray it.

Back