help on trying to find out what version this s400 turbo is.

dmaxvaz

twinturbo nutcase
this s400 has a 75mm compressor wheel, a 88mm exhaust wheel, has a t6 flange and has a 1.32 a/r it also has these #s cast into it;5b27 1.32 671696 1b2 472 hsm. does anybody know what cm the exh housing is? and how this thing would spool in a twin turbo setup? (s400 being the bottom turbo)

1.32 a/r is the 'size' of the turbine. Schwitzer/BorgWarner don't measure their housings in cm2, the use the area:radius ratio. The one you have is the standard model. Basically, it's the 'B2' turbo. Very popular for twins setups from 550-700HP.

if it were measured in cm what would be close to? and how is spoolup on this turbo being on the bottom.

Are you trying to compare it to a Holset? They're not really an apples to apples comparison.

Spool up doesn't matter on the primary, the secondary is what gives the initial spool.

no, i am making a twin turbo setup for my dmax and i want to have seamless spoolup between the stocker and the s400.

You might find some answers at.....

I am in the middle of a number of twin sets being fabbed this winter and seeing what it takes on the Dmax's. I would pick up the phone and call Eric @ Merchant Automotive. He is building a couple trucks right now and I believe his big chargers are T-6 S400's for those. Even if your dead set on building your own you might be able to get your hands on some of the piping, wastegates and mounting brackets you need as they are in the fabbing process. Erics trucks speak for themselves, at least in my opinion (BoBo, Nasty Girl, Cap, and so on...) Well worth the call. Dont shoot me if I am wrong but I believe BoBo's truck used a stock charger on top, watch the video of it and I will say from a personal ride that truck is a blast. MA's # 616-399-7169

I believe he was refering to the entire build not just the turbo set up.

There are a few more things done to those trucks than just the twins that make them run. I didn't break down the actual content from the build of each truck listed or the others MA has built. A truck built by Garmon, Hellman, Scheids, EEP, or (insert big name builder here) would probably include a variety of parts that the actual builder did not make themselves. If a D-Max guy was looking for help I would suggest they talk to Eric and if he twinned their truck he would determine whats best for that truck and build it.......I wasn't discrediting you or your twin building abilities on those two trucks or any other truck you have built a set for...........Moving on.......

I find it amusing that if your in the business of doing these yourself and here is a guy looking for help building a set that Joe Farmer and I try to provide some form of help and you chime in wanting to make sure credit is placed correctly instead of directing him to one of your dealers or posting up helpful info.

$.02

dmaxvaz said:
no, i am making a twin turbo setup for my dmax and i want to have seamless spoolup between the stocker and the s400.
so after the pissing match is over:blahblah1: does anyone have an anwer to the question i was asking a few posts ago. i know eric merchant, and have been to his shop, but, i am not going nuts on power like the trucks he is building.nathan makes top knotch **** and i am not discrediting him, he put alot of time and effort into the dmax twins. i just dont have $4500 to pay for 1 turbo and some piping(along with some other fancy ****). and nathan my twins will never look as nice as yours so i wouldnt worry too much.

carfichris said:
There are a few more things done to those trucks than just the twins that make them run. I didn't break down the actual content from the build of each truck listed or the others MA has built. A truck built by Garmon, Hellman, Scheids, EEP, or (insert big name builder here) would probably include a variety of parts that the actual builder did not make themselves. If a D-Max guy was looking for help I would suggest they talk to Eric and if he twinned their truck he would determine whats best for that truck and build it.......I wasn't discrediting you or your twin building abilities on those two trucks or any other truck you have built a set for...........Moving on.......

I find it amusing that if your in the business of doing these yourself and here is a guy looking for help building a set that Joe Farmer and I try to provide some form of help and you chime in wanting to make sure credit is placed correctly instead of directing him to one of your dealers or posting up helpful info.

$.02
You specifically mentioned "Dont shoot me if I am wrong but I believe BoBo's truck used a stock charger on top, watch the video of it and I will say from a personal ride that truck is a blast." Bobo's did use the stock 'charger and Nathan built the setup. Merchant didn't have anything to do with the turbo setup other than install. Give Nathan credit!! I started out by asking him about compound turbo theory and he's taken the time to research the 'why'.

dmaxvaz said:
so after the pissing match is over:blahblah1: does anyone have an anwer to the question i was asking a few posts ago. i know eric merchant, and have been to his shop, but, i am not going nuts on power like the trucks he is building.nathan makes top knotch **** and i am not discrediting him, he put alot of time and effort into the dmax twins. i just dont have $4500 to pay for 1 turbo and some piping(along with some other fancy ****). and nathan my twins will never look as nice as yours so i wouldnt worry too much.
First off, I would ask yourself if you have forged rods and aftermarket pistons. If no, there's no point in putting twins on your truck since you'll be over the stock bottom end limit as soon as you bolt that second turbo on. If yes, I think its a very good turbo to put under your stock turbo. It should support 550-700hp depending on your tuning and setup.

Forrest, I'm curious why primary spoolup would matter? The secondary will suck through the primary and spool almost as fast as it being a single. THe primary can spool whenever it wants to.

a secondary won't suck through a primary and be almost as fast as a single... that's the reason we run free flowing air filters and free flowing exhaust systems... because intake and exhaust restrictions seriously kill turbo spool. if the primary is lazy, it's merely a restriction untill it lights.

the only reson I say these things is I've driven with a set of mismatched twins... PDR35-12 on top with this S400 on bottom... you want the bottom turbo to do its thing before the top is done doing its thing. an external gate will help drive the bottom

but there really is a noticable difference on how the bottom turbo is set up

joefarmer said:
First off, I would ask yourself if you have forged rods and aftermarket pistons. If no, there's no point in putting twins on your truck since you'll be over the stock bottom end limit as soon as you bolt that second turbo on. If yes, I think its a very good turbo to put under your stock turbo. It should support 550-700hp depending on your tuning and setup.

Forrest, I'm curious why primary spoolup would matter? The secondary will suck through the primary and spool almost as fast as it being a single. THe primary can spool whenever it wants to.

i am waiting on a definite solution on the whole forged/cast/alloy piston thing and the selection of rods. my key hp is only 550 what i am trying to achieve right now wg them at around (45-50 lbs boost), which should last a little while:hehe: plus i dont run the 500+ hp tune all the time, i wonder how twins would do with the 400 hp tune i have?

First of all if you know me you know I'm not a glory hound. I was correcting what you stated. For the record....on Nasty Girls original build I did everything but build the motor, that blew up, and the tranny. Keith and I talked for months before I started on it and I gave him tons of ideas for the build and most were incorporated into it. So to say Eric did a bunch of the work on that truck (at least originally) is wrong. He did work on it a lot after the motor blew up the first time though. Finally if you've been around much you know I help tons of people out with twin sizing and hp potential without making a cent on it and have for years.

Back to the original question. The S400 will work but it will be hard to fit several things like a 5" down pipe if you chose to go that big (most flanges for the S400 are for 5" down pipes). You will also most likely end up having to bend the inner fender down a lot to clear the exhaust housing or cut it out. I personally dont like to cut things out if avoidable but it will work well for you other then that.

BTW I was busy at the time of my original post or I probably would have helped him out. Instead I corrected misinformation and now I'm the bad guy. I guess I should spend my time giving out free information on the internet instead of trying to make a living. It's kinda funny that you concider Eric the man to talk to about Dmax twins when he has asked me for tons of info about turbos and twins in the past. He is using turbo combos that I started building on Dodge's over a year ago.

This is what I do because I like doing it. I test as much stuff as my pocket book and time will allow and it's not all about how much I make. I sell very little retail because I would rather spend my time designing things for myself instead of reselling other people's products. I have a brain and I try to use it. I dont see any other twin builders on any sites helping anyone else (short of possibly Olee Poole) out with a build up do you?

Idaho CTD said:
First of all if you know me you know I'm not a glory hound. I was correcting what you stated. For the record....on Nasty Girls original build I did everything but build the motor, that blew up, and the tranny. Keith and I talked for months before I started on it and I gave him tons of ideas for the build and most were incorporated into it. So to say Eric did a bunch of the work on that truck (at least originally) is wrong. He did work on it a lot after the motor blew up the first time though. Finally if you've been around much you know I help tons of people out with twin sizing and hp potential without making a cent on it and have for years.

Back to the original question. The S400 will work but it will be hard to fit several things like a 5" down pipe if you chose to go that big (most flanges for the S400 are for 5" down pipes). You will also most likely end up having to bend the inner fender down a lot to clear the exhaust housing or cut it out. I personally dont like to cut things out if avoidable but it will work well for you other then that.

BTW I was busy at the time of my original post or I probably would have helped him out. Instead I corrected misinformation and now I'm the bad guy. I guess I should spend my time giving out free information on the internet instead of trying to make a living. It's kinda funny that you concider Eric the man to talk to about Dmax twins when he has asked me for tons of info about turbos and twins in the past. He is using turbo combos that I started building on Dodge's over a year ago.

This is what I do because I like doing it. I test as much stuff as my pocket book and time will allow and it's not all about how much I make. I sell very little retail because I would rather spend my time designing things for myself instead of reselling other people's products. I have a brain and I try to use it. I dont see any other twin builders on any sites helping anyone else (short of possibly Olee Poole) out with a build up do you?
nathan thanks for the reply and the info you provided:thankyou2: do you think i should get a smaller exhaust housing like a 1.01 0r a 1.15 a/r for this turbo for spoolup?

Idaho CTD said:

I get it , so you are surely not the man to talk to about motors since your ideas go BOOM. LOL but if I want a bada$$ twin setup you are the man hmm understood i'll give credit where credit is due