HELP: Truck Wont Start After Pretty Big Upgrades

No obvious cause for the milked oil is scary. Keep us posted and good luck.

Is the oil in the pan milked? Water level down?

Last edited:
The trucks never been driven since all these upgrades?
There was no water in the oil before these new modifications?

That's right, it was a working truck before these upgrades. No water in oil that I knew of.

I have no idea if the water level is down because I was filling the radiator up through the radiator cap

Pressure test the cooling system and see if it bleeds off. If it does I'd pull the injectors and see if it filling a cylinder. The milky color is from water oil mixture.

Look if you somehow knocked out a freeze plug on the floor of the head. That sure looks well circulated for the little run time you say it had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look if you somehow knocked out a freeze plug on the floor of the head. That sure looks well circulated for the little run time you say it had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it ran for no more then 3 seconds yesterday, with no coolant
today it ran with coolant for maybe 5 seconds + a bunch of cranking.

oil is brand new.

i would go over the fleece by pass and make sure all your lines are correct. also if u add coolant/water and pressure test is your oil level rising. if u drain ur oil and place the coolant system under pressure with the oil drain plug out does the coolant reappear in the pan

Loose head bolts will cause milky oil. Did you drain the coolant when you did the highly acclaimed "one bolt at a time" upgrade?

why do you keep askignabout the rods..they don't make milky oil. seems like you shouldn't have done so much at once without a clue

I never said or thought connecting rods were the cause of the milky oil

The turbos are compounds so rods are on my list 'todo' since they will eventually be a problem. If i have to take the head off, I might as well replace the rods at the same time.

First I need to find the cause of this leak. I will pressure test the coolant system today to see what I can find.

The crazy thing is I have done many hg on my gas race cars and I have NEVER had this happen.

Last edited:
Pressure test the cooling system and see if it bleeds off. If it does I'd pull the injectors and see if it filling a cylinder. The milky color is from water oil mixture.

thank you for helping!

i did a pressure test this morning but I used the poor mans tester (air compressor bursts in the overflow nipple next to the radiator cap). I saw no leaks on the outside of the head/block. No leaks on the freeze plugs on the inside of the head either. I dont have a guage but it seemed to hold pressure pretty well. I did have to add some coolant before doing any of this so I know it is leaking.

I also drained the oil and it was all the milky color that I have grown to hate.

I guess next I will pull the injectors and see if there is any crap water down in the cylinder

Last edited:
I forgot to add, that after pressurizing the coolant system, I took the cap off the radiator and saw white smoke which would suggest that the exhaust is leaking into the coolant system.

I forgot to add, that after pressurizing the coolant system, I took the cap off the radiator and saw white smoke which would suggest that the exhaust is leaking into the coolant system.

You're confusing me. Is the truck running or not?

truck is not running. I have not started it since yesterday. Yesterday I was getting gray smoke from the tail pipe while cranking and white smoke after i stopped trying.

today I pressurized the coolant system and after I was done i took the cap off and saw white smoke coming out of the radiator

If you hadn't started or tried, why would smoke lead you to believe that the exhaust is leaking back in to the coolant system?

I would agree that it's probably not building enough rail to start and most likely due to crossover tubes. The coolant in the oil doesn't make any sense at all.

yeah i know, this is crazy

the truck ran great yesterday for about 5 seconds then stumbled and died
after that it wouldnt start, just grey/white smoke from the tail pipe.

Last edited: