HELP: Truck Wont Start After Pretty Big Upgrades

Gotta be more to the story... Was the truck sitting outside while the engine was open where rain/moisture could enter the engine?

i really wish there was more to the story.

is it possible the head studs cracked the gasket when I torqued them down to 160? seems unlikely but at this point i am really lost. I will pull the motor soon, replace the rods, coat the pistons and put a girdle on it.

the truck was parked in front of my garage but the hood was shut any time it was raining.

Get a pressure adapter with a regulator, apply constant pressure to the cooling system (full). Plug in the block heater if it has one. Drain the oil, switch catch pans after the bulk of the contaminated oil is out. Watch for water coming from the pan.

Re torque you injectors. The procedure you listed is the correct on as far as I know. You could pull the return from the case drain to see if it's excessive while cranking.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Go buy a pressure tester and let it sit with pressure

I went and rented one.... Brand new too

It has been sitting for 35 minutes now, holding pressure at 16 psi. I switched the pan to a clean one and it has one small drop in the pan. Oil is drained and coolant is full

What exactly am I looking for if I turn the motor 360 degrees?

I have the snap on barring tool that gives me plenty of torque

I am guessing that I won't be able to compress the water in the cylinder?

Last edited:
Forgive me here.. how does a oil/water mixture start with the truck not running, head not off, and only exterior engine modifications made? Makes no sense.

What exactly am I looking for if I turn the motor 360 degrees?

I have the snap on barring tool that gives me plenty of torque

I am guessing that I won't be able to compress the water in the cylinder?

You won't compress the water, and if the HG went to crap, you'll get air/pressure purging out of the coolant system.

Forgive me here.. how does a oil/water mixture start with the truck not running, head not off, and only exterior engine modifications made? Makes no sense.

My guess on oil/water mix is when changing studs. I had the head lift a little and let water out the very first time I did studs (doing the 1 at a time method). I could have been very unlucky, but I'm proof that it does happen. But mine didn't let that much go LOL OP's looks like he dumped a bunch of milk in the oil.

I'm guessing his head gasket isn't in good shape and the cranking was enough to mix them up. Them being his oil and coolant.

You won't compress the water, and if the HG went to crap, you'll get air/pressure purging out of the coolant system.

I'm guessing he didn't hydrolock it, or bend a rod since the starter was having no problem cranking it. It also looks like ALL the coolant went into his oil! I'm guessing there's one passage that got screwed up during the studs.

I had the head lift a little and let water out the very first time I did studs (doing the 1 at a time method). I could have been very unlucky, but I'm proof that it does happen.

Well this makes me feel a little better at least. I hate not knowing what mistake I made (it means that I will make it again)

I do remember when I loosened one of the head bolts around the 2nd/3rd cyl on the drivers side, I heard a fluid moving sound that seemed strange at the time.

I guess now it is time to pull the motor. Replace the rods, bearings, cam, arp fasteners, piston rings, coat the pistons and have the block and head machined. Anything else you recommend?

I have a lot of work to do now

Last edited:
You are aware a headgasket can be replaced in the truck right?

You keep acting like it's the end of the world to do the rods cause of the wrong timing, however it seems like you're looking for an excuse to do them for sure.

You keep acting like it's the end of the world to do the rods cause of the wrong timing, however it seems like you're looking for an excuse to do them for sure.

X2!!

I work the same way, do the work once. If he knows the gasket is down, and planned to do rods, his logic is sound.

I broke a head bolt on mine and wish I had re-ringed/resealed all of it.

I have been racing cars for 15 years, do you think that I do not know that a h/g can be replaced???

I admire your relentless ridicule and endless trolling throughout this thread. Your dedication is impressive but eventually, by the sheer virtue of probability, you will have to eventually add something of value.

Last edited:
I am very greatful to the people that helped me troubleshoot this through useful and helpful posts. I hope I can at least buy each of you a round of beers some day.

biggy238
RDPsmoker
wideopen
CorneliusRox
madmikeismad
BluegrassDiesel
ndaniels
Cummins610
YoungDiesel27
straitsix86gmc
Snedge
crpower
mikmaze
f6jbob
homewrecker

Thanks for the help men

I work the same way, do the work once. If he knows the gasket is down, and planned to do rods, his logic is sound.

I broke a head bolt on mine and wish I had re-ringed/resealed all of it.

I understand completely but one post he complains about having to do the rods then the next it's like because of the headgasket he has to do rods. It's his truck, I don't really care what he does. I was just stating my point.

I have been racing cars for 15 years, do you think that I do not know that a h/g can be replaced???

I admire your relentless ridicule and endless trolling throughout this thread. Your dedication is impressive but eventually, by the sheer virtue of probability, you will have to eventually add something of value.

Reducible and trolling? I tried to phucking help you, and never trolled in this thread but you passed my info on the connecting tubes out the window.
I'm assuming since you didn't like my thought it becomes useless and I'm an ass? I guess I missed the logic in your thinking on that.

Now that you have your answers and have self justified your rod replacement, where did I troll your thread?

I am very greatful to the people that helped me troubleshoot this through useful and helpful posts. I hope I can at least buy each of you a round of beers some day.

Thanks for the help men

Nice.

Rick, you were being a tad internet mean and stuff. bif