HELP! Truck won't start :(

crewgirl

Inmate #28
My truck is dead. When I turn the key, I get no response from anything (no gauges, no dash lights, fuel pump doesn't kick in). But, the headlights will come on, and you can hear the relays clicking in when you turn the key. I switched relays around and checked all the fuses that have to do with ignition. I have no clue where to even start with this kinda stuff.

I've done all that stuff. OK, so I didn't pull EVERY fuse in the in-cab fuse panel, but all the ones under the hood are ok. The battery cables are tight and relatively corrosion free. I just cleaned them a couple weeks ago when I was doing some repairs to my stereo system wiring. The truck started fine and drove to the place great, when I got ready to leave, nothing.

Try and cross the starter with screw driver and see if it starts that way.

Sounds like an ignition switch.

Did you try to jump start it?

K, I'll do that this afternoon. I have to get my daughter to her softball game in a few minutes. If it does start that way, what are you thinking is wrong?

No to the jump start. Called a tow truck and brought it home. I figure that if I get no response when I turn the ignition on I need to consult people who know what the hell they are doing before I try anything.

There is a switch on the column, near the floor that runs that stuff, sounds like that.

But, it really sounds like your batteries are dead because of a dead alternator.

I know on a 12v, If the fuel shutoff solenoid is bad it will pop the engine fuse in the cab and that will cause nothing to work. I had this issue with my truck. None of the gauges worked but the lights turned on but the engine would not start or turn over.

Roachie, if the alternator was crapping out, there would have been some warning. I watch my gauges constantly, I've had no charging system issues whatsoever. I drive the truck everyday, I drove it this morning.

This switch you're talking about is on the steering column? (I'm asking because I took the clutch safety switch out and threw it away a long time ago)

Yep, has a rod that runs to the key lock or something like that. Never had a 2nd gen column apart but, most cars are the same setup.

Doesn't mean your alt was getting power to the batteries. Try to jump it off first thing.

I had this happen.

It was the pwr wire going to the ignition. It came loose from tilting up and down. Pwr wire was just long enough.

Just had to stick it back and re crimp it.

sounds just like your batteries are dead, but they have enough juice to turn the lights on, just not enough juice to start it, i would try jump starting it or put a battery charger on it, if you have something to check the voltage on the batteries that would be the best thing first off.

Agreed, let it sit on a charger or if you have the equipment to test the batteries do that as well. It sounds like dead batteries, but I also believe Roachie could be right on track.

Well, I don't know exactly what fixed it. We pulled the plastic off the steering column and checked to voltage on the plug going into the ignition tumbler and it was ok, plugged it back in and it started right up........

Maybe there was dust or something built up keeping it from making a good connection.

Thank you all for your help.

Pure curiosity but why would you remove the clutch safety switch?

It can be another point of failure in the system. So remove it if you can remember to not start your truck in gear. At least thats why I assume one would do it.

And if you have a heavy ass clutch its one less thing to piss you off when you just got done working on your feet for 13hrs.

Also it nice to reach in a start your truck for tuning without climbing in it.

Glad to see that you got the problem fixed. The wonderful world of electrical demons, lol.