Help with my turbo

mx333

I just install my new turbo a super phat shat 62 from industrial injection with a 4" down pipe with a ats manifold. I have 4" ex straight pipe, intake,drag comp,and jammer 5 injectors. I was told that i should be getting 45psi out of this turbo but i have a hard time hitting 35 on my boost gauge. My gauge only goes to 35 but it hardley gets to 35 so i don't think another gauge would help me. I have tried un pugging my map sensor,clamping off the waste gate line and i took my intake completly off but no luck hitting 35. I can get it to go to 35 if i am on the freeway with my comp on 5x5 and run it realy hard it might hit 35 if i am lucky. Any sugestions on what i could test and how to get the extra boost. Thanks Skyler

what year is your truck? You sure the Comp is working right?

Skyler, fill in your sig so your future posts have your truck info.

Skyler and I were talking about this yesterday, our trucks are set up very similar, he has bigger sticks than me and is running a Holley instead of a FASS.
He also has a hand shaker compared to my slush box.

Anyone have any ideas for him.

I'm running basically the same turbo etc etc and I can hit 45-50 almost instantly when crusing down the freeway.
Around town 40psi is nothing as well.

dan

Last edited:
Timbeaux38 said:
what year is your truck? You sure the Comp is working right?

It's an 01 Tim, almost identical to mine other than the trans.

He will have to answer you on the comp. I'm going to attempt to hook up with him tonight so we can do some compairisons on the two trucks.

dan

What TC do you have? IE stall speed?

Hmmmmm Okay.. I'm betting it s the fueling box

Timbeaux38 said:
Hmmmmm Okay.. I'm betting it s the fueling box

Maybe after we check the connections we can try my box in his truck just for kicks...

dan

Got leaky boots? or other boost leak, do a pressure test on the system.

mx333 said:
Mine is acctually a 99 5 speed.

Ah crap, thats right. I dont think our box's are the same?

Anyone?

dan

Last edited:
I'm going to try and call edge here to see if we can swap just box's to see if thats my problem. I am still getting alot of fuel even at 35 psi it has alot of black smoke still.

hey MX i have a super phatshaft 62/14 on mine. i never had any problems with my boost. i boost anywhere from 45 to 50 PSI easily. our turbos have an adjustable boost elbow on it. you might wanna check that. if that doesn't fix it then call Industrial and tell them ur problem. i'm sure they'll help you out. there a good group of guys up there. but the first place i would look is at the adjustable boost elbow. it has an allen set screw that u can adjust ur boost if u wanna boost more, or less.

let me know if any of this helps

After talking with dan last night about maybe it's my comp box i turned it off completly. Well i got less smoke and the turbo didn't lag as much and i would berry the boost gauge in 4th gear at 35, where before it had a hard time hitting 35 with my drag comp turned on 5x5. It would take a bit longer to get the boost that high but it would not drop off like when i had my box turned on. With the comp on i might beable to hit 35 for a sec then it would start comming back down but with it off it will stay pegged at 35.

Have you reached Edge yet?

Also I was thinking again (no smart comments) we need to check all your Comp conections really good, it kinda sounds like maybe your pump wire is either not taped (came off) or maybe taped the incorrect wire.

Lets race first though :evil :evil
dan

IIRC the 99 and 01 differed only in the harness plugs so Dan's comp should work with your truck mx. Check boots etc, but I will say this, I only see max boost on my truck in the top gears (5th & 6th for me) at higher RPM's, sometimes the motor just pulls you through the gears fast enough there is no time to spool the turbo.

Just an idea, but from what you are saying it doesn't sound like what is happening.

Yeah i'll have to check all my connenctions. I know my pump is tapped but i'll look and see if the wire still looks like it is connencted. I have not got a hold of edge yet. I left jeff a message but he has yet to return my call. I'll look at all my connenctions at lunch.

Well i just talked to brady at industrial injection and i will be going to his house after work tomorrow and will be running some codes and check my box and test the smarty also.

Glad you making some headway.

Watch out for that smarty :ylsuper:

dan