High EGT's

carolinarednek

I got a wrench for that!!
I just recently had my pump turned up at a pump shop for off road use only. Since it was for that, he turned it up as far as it would go. :) I then installed a 4kgsk, and removed the AFC foot. Now when going down the road and I stand on it, I can bury the pyro in less than 1/4 mile! I want to sled pull at the next event, but I'm kind of scared to. How high is too high for EGT's on my truck? My pyro maxes out at 1600*. I have heard anywhere from 1500* - 2000* is too high. I just don't want to have to speed up the need for a new turbo right now! :ft: Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

But you had it tuned for "off road use only"...if you keep it off the road the egt's might not be so high...sorry I just had to! LOL

There is a lot more to making power than just pump tuning. A set of good injectors and a bigger turbo along with a cam and fuel timing adjustment would be a few of the easier areas to address for better power.

But you had it tuned for "off road use only"...if you keep it off the road the egt's might not be so high...sorry I just had to! LOL

There is a lot more to making power than just pump tuning. A set of good injectors and a bigger turbo along with a cam and fuel timing adjustment would be a few of the easier areas to address for better power.

All of these are in the works. I just gotta wait for buisness to pick back up. Just trying to make big power the most most cost efficient way right now. I just wanna make sure I'm not going to kill my truck right now.

It says he tooke the AFC foot out. I'm guessing he's way overfueling at way too low RPM and boost levels.

It only gets hot in the upper RPM range. It fuels like a mother off the line, but it only gets hot while you're really getting on it in the upper RPM range. My turbo builds 42psi of boost. It is a stock HX-35. I know thats too much for a stock turbo, but thats what it makes.

Yes it is. You are leaving the compressor map at 35 psi. Any pressure you see above that is from the expanding hot air. Maybe try a 16 or 18.5 cm exhaust housing if you can't afford a whole bigger turbo?

I'd say hold off on the pullz 'til you get it under control. I'd hate to see a sexy silver dually with broken guts. :D

Hx-35 and big power are not synonymous.

You already know what's wrong, we can't change the rules of physics for you. Turn the pump back down (I.E. Put the afc back in) to match the turbo.

AWWW..... Come on!!!! I have already decided against pulling. I guess the tax man will be buying me a 66/14 Phatshaft then. :)

Daily driver?

If so you will need every bit of that 4k to drive it. There are better options. If it's just a toy and you don't mind alot of lag then go for it!

what delivery valves did the pump shop put in?

what cc's is the pump flowing?

if the shop removed the AFC arm i would think that is not a very "legit" pump shop

and you need to put the arm back in and turn that pump back down if you want the turbo and/or headgasket to last

at least thats what I think, but what do i know, I drive a short bus

It still has the stock DV's in it. I didn't get the cc's that it flows. It was on the card when I picked it up, but I chunked it while I was re installing the pump. I was the one that removed the AFC foot. I guess I will end up putting the AFC foot back in it tomorrow or Sunday when I do the timing. Stupid me, I forgot to tell him to do the timing on it for me while he had it on the stand. I asked afterward, and he said it would cost about $50 if I brought it back to him, but that was 2 days after I had put it back on. Too much work for that. I got a buddy with the Snap-On timing set. He's bringing it to me Saturday at the pull.
Truck is more a toy than a daily driver, but I do drive it on the street mostly. What do you suggest??

Thanks to 4X4dually for the compliment.

yes you need a bigger turbo but a pull is less than 30 seconds. As long as you are not over 2000* then dont worry about it. An easy fix is to remove the egt probe. My old truck would run anywhere from 1750 ro 1950 and never had a issue. Our trailer puller runs a 180 pump with full cuts dv, holders, no plate, no afc, 5x18 dual feeds and a sb66. It tows the gn with my puller on it all over the place running 70mph at 1100*.

Yes it is. You are leaving the compressor map at 35 psi. Any pressure you see above that is from the expanding hot air. Maybe try a 16 or 18.5 cm exhaust housing if you can't afford a whole bigger turbo?

Believe it or not, if you hook up your wastegate you will see lower temps (less drive pressure and keeping it around 35psi will cool down the Intake Charge Temps)

Hx-35 and big power are not synonymous.

You already know what's wrong, we can't change the rules of physics for you. Turn the pump back down (I.E. Put the afc back in) to match the turbo.

X2 Mod the AFC for full travel if you want more fuel; you will get 90% of the fuel you would without it and it will have better street manners...

It still has the stock DV's in it. I didn't get the cc's that it flows. It was on the card when I picked it up, but I chunked it while I was re installing the pump. I was the one that removed the AFC foot. I guess I will end up putting the AFC foot back in it tomorrow or Sunday when I do the timing. Stupid me, I forgot to tell him to do the timing on it for me while he had it on the stand. I asked afterward, and he said it would cost about $50 if I brought it back to him, but that was 2 days after I had put it back on. Too much work for that. I got a buddy with the Snap-On timing set. He's bringing it to me Saturday at the pull.
Truck is more a toy than a daily driver, but I do drive it on the street mostly. What do you suggest??

Thanks to 4X4dually for the compliment.

If you want something cheap look for an HE351cw, at least that is a 67lbs/min turbo and will keep 500hp semi cool (maybe port the wastegate)... Requires very little modification to make it fit and they are cheap, you can probably almost pay for it by selling your 35 even.

As far as cheap options that's my $.02 Otherwise, for a 12v that sees street time, when you go bigger I personally wouldn't go any bigger than a 64/71/14...

Back pressure

ditto on blacksky's comment regarding boost. Maybe someone remembers the exact figures, but there was an article in TDR some yrs ago about HX35-12 back pressure @ 32psi. Wasn't it around 70? It's a huge #. The 14cm housing lowered it a ton.

Heck, even the HX40-16 made more hp @ 38psi, so the 35-12 is REALLY pushing super hot air. :ft:

Thanks for the replies fellas! I ended up pulling last night and did pretty well. I only ran it at 3/4 throttle to keep it from getting too hot. I'm thinking about th Indusrtial Injection Phatshaft 64/14. How's that one for street manners and pulling?? Please pardon my ignorance. I do own a Diesel shop, but when I went to school, they only taught stock stuff. I'm having to learn all this performance stuff on my own.

Thanks for the replies fellas! I ended up pulling last night and did pretty well. I only ran it at 3/4 throttle to keep it from getting too hot. I'm thinking about th Indusrtial Injection Phatshaft 64/14. How's that one for street manners and pulling?? Please pardon my ignorance. I do own a Diesel shop, but when I went to school, they only taught stock stuff. I'm having to learn all this performance stuff on my own.

Go for the Super Phat Shaft, that is their 71mm turbine wheel that you are going to want. Also, where are you setting your timing?