High performance 18" tire

Double J

I'm looking for some tire input guys. I've been running my stockers at the track for some time now, but since I have a nice set of 18" wheels I'd like to find a high performance (sticky) 18" tire. I've seen several tire 1 options, but only one tire 2 option, which is a nitto 404 that I'm not sure they even make anymore. I've found tire option 2 on a couple tire sale websites but Nitto doesn't mention them on theirs.

Anyways, I'm looking to increase my footprint without increasing my E.T.
I wouldn't think tire 1 or tire 2 would effect E.T's, negatively anyway, since the overal diameter is slightly smaller that stock, however, with the wider footprint of tire 1 or 2 I hope to hook up better off the line.

Anyone think the 18" tire/rim swap will have ill effects on e.t.'s and what's a good sticky tire?

Stock Tire - 265/75R16 (3.55 gears)
Tire 1 - 285/60R18
Tire 2 - 305/55R18

Section Width: 10.43 in 265 mm
Section Width: 11.22 in 285 mm
Section Width: 12.00 in 305 mm

Rim Diameter: 16 in 406.4 mm
Rim Diameter: 18 in 457.2 mm
Rim Diameter: 18 in 457.2 mm

Rim Width Range: 7 - 8 in
Rim Width Range: 8 - 10 in
Rim Width Range: Unrecognized tire size.

Overall Diameter: 31.64 in 803.65 mm
Overall Diameter: 31.46 in 799.08 mm
Overall Diameter: 31.20 in 792.48 mm

Sidewall Height: 7.82 in 198.62 mm
Sidewall Height: 6.73 in 170.94 mm
Sidewall Height: 6.60 in 167.64 mm

Radius: 15.82 in 401.82 mm
Radius: 15.73 in 399.54 mm
Radius: 15.60 in 396.24 mm

Circumference: 99.39 in 2524.5 mm
Circumference: 98.83 in 2510.2 mm
Circumference: 98.01 in 2489.4 mm

Revs per Mile: 657.3
Revs per Mile: 661.1
Revs per Mile: 666.6

Actual Speed: 60 mph 100 km/h
Speedometer1: 60.3 mph 100. km/h
Speedometer1: 60.8 mph 101. km/h

Wrongway and I run the Nitto drag radial.. The downside to it is that it's only 28.8'' tall.

Yeah....I think I would need to keep it in the 31.XX" range. I'm not sure what my RPMs are at the end of the quarter (RAD kills my tach) but I may run out of RPM with 28.8" tires...or will I?

To be honest, I don't know what my rpm's are at the end of the track. The odd thing is I ran the same mph with the 28.8'' tire as I did when I tried a 33'' M&H cheater slick. My best with the Nitto was .02 better than my best with the 33'' tire.

If you have any pics, I'd like to see that 18" drag radial on your rig.

I'd go with the KDW's or the Toyo Proxes tire in the 285/18's.

If its a 4x4 your probably not going to notice much of a difference as long as you have a decent amount of rubber on the ground. I've cut similar 60's with very different tire sizes.

If traction truly is a problem then look into some drag radials or go with a cheater slick. Don't mess around with a street tire. This is where you will notice a reduction in 60 times.

I am trying to decide what tire to go with now also.I have talked with m&h racemaster and they have a drag radial thats a 390/40/17.But its only 29.5 inches tall and that would mess with my top speed and rev limiter at the track.So now I am looking at the toy proxie and the bfg kdw.My question for anyone that might know is the toyo has a treadwear rating of 420,the bfg kdw has a 300 rating.Does this mean the kdw is softer and might hook alittle better?

RCCX said:
My question for anyone that might know is the toyo has a treadwear rating of 420,the bfg kdw has a 300 rating.Does this mean the kdw is softer and might hook alittle better?

The lower the # rating the softer it appears to be.

"The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear of a tire when tested carefully under controlled conditions. For example, a tire graded 400 should have its useful tread last twice as long as a tire graded 200. Another tire manufacturer, however, may grade a comparable design 300, so a grade of 150 would last just half as long under their grading scheme. The lesson learned is to not use one manufacturer's grade versus the other, but instead to compare tire grades within a given brand. Actual treadwear performance can vary tremendously according to the tire's real-world use: variations in driving habits, service practices (most importantly air pressure maintenance) and road conditions and climate affect tire life"

I have spoken with a few people that run the proxies and they say they are hooking bastards.Has anyone tried the bfg's?

farmboysdiesel said:
Toyo Proxes 305 on an 18x10 rim looks good, height is good and they hook.

They only have it in a 32.4" tire though (305/60 series). I'm trying to keep it as close as possible to the 31.64" stockers. Believe me, I was already eyeballing the Proxes. :hump: LOL

I found that around the height of 33in works great in several aspects. If I had to guess, I'd say that much probably wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Morse said:
Wrongway and I run the Nitto drag radial.. The downside to it is that it's only 28.8'' tall.

I got a chance to take a look at this tire this afternoon and boy is it a good looking tire. I'm still concerned about running out RPMs before the end of the quarter. What is your guys trap speed and what gears are you running?

305/60/18's Toyo Proxes ST's

1.65 60' at 7800 lbs on this launch..........I'd say they stick pretty good :)

1188Launchmedium.JPG

Go here http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/photo/showphoto.php/photo/4758/cat/500/ppuser/220

and click on the picture to get a better look at how the react to the track. Look at the rear tire squating. Also look on the track right behind the passenger side front wheel. You can see the tread marks gripping the track.

Last edited:
Hey Doc you think those tires will help me???
I run regular all terrain tires.

DockBoy you running any lift on the truck? I think this tire would look silly on my truck with a 4" lift.

W1cked said:
Hey Doc you think those tires will help me???
I run regular all terrain tires.

I think about the only thing that will help you is a lead injection to the head:hehe:

Back