High Performance Tow Rig & Weekend Getaway Truck

That looks like a harborfreight jib crane.

It seems like ive seen this truck before, but cant really put my finger on it. were you at industrials dyno day a few years ago?

Nice build, keep it up! Hope to see ya around in the truck, or on the trails in moab.

Probably @ work under a truck, Tapatalk 2

For towing at high elevation, I would seriously consider reworking the turbo piping and installing an He351 or even an HX35.

Back when I lived in Utah, I ran an He351cw on my 99' 24v daily driver, it was a nice clean efficient single turbo setup and great for almost 500 HP on the dyno and 350-400 useable HP towing in the hills. An He351cw in a compound setup is almost unbeatable for towing performance.

If I was only going to tow with this truck I probably would. It'll only see 9000' towing a couple times year at the most.

I had seen the Phat Shaft 64 and thought that was what you were compounding with. And that was why I suggested the 63/68. Spool difference between a 62/68/12 and a 63/68/12 is gonna be VERY minimal. And a 63 compressor MAP will blow a 62 out of the water by a long shot.

I've read up on this turbo a bit in the last few days. Might be a better option. You guys are in Layton aren't you? I may drive up and talk a bit more about if your willing.

Nice build. Where did you get the engine hoist and how much is something like that?

That looks like a harborfreight jib crane.

It seems like ive seen this truck before, but cant really put my finger on it. were you at industrials dyno day a few years ago?

Yep, harbor freight. $669 on their website. I spent $25 and joined their reward club when I bought it and they gave me 20% off a single purchase. Bought the gantry crane and an engine stand and saved quite a bit.

I went to II's dyno event once, the crowd was a bit to brahtastic for me :hehe:
A lot of people recognize this truck. I bought it from Brandon at II's turbo shop.

Nice build, keep it up! Hope to see ya around in the truck, or on the trails in moab.

Probably @ work under a truck, Tapatalk 2

Just glanced through your build thread. You've got access to mills and ****, we should hangout :hehe:. Hopefully we can go wheeling, I know like one guy with a wheeler, and I don't like wheeling with him :doh:

Update to the build:

Talked to the head shop Friday, head is cracked around every cylinder. The guy asked me if the valves were slapping the pistons :hehe:. Probably go with a new head from pure diesel power. Comes with valves and springs, new casting casting cast in a cummins plant, using tooling that allows for a thicker casting of the head according to their website. Anyone running one of these heads? Seems like the best deal. Being quoted $1200 for a reman.

Still undecided on what to do as far as a cam goes. Don't really want to run a stock cam, but not sure I want to spend $600 on a new one.

Was playing with my turbos this weekend. I like the side by side setup, but makes for a long hot pipe. I've seen a few side by sides where they flipped the secondary so the exhaust outlet pointed forward. I drilled a couple holes in my bench and bolted the manifold to it to get an idea of how it would work. First I set it up how it should be, connected the hot and cold pipes to locate the primary. My toolbox was the perfect height lol, so I used a 24" scale to mark the primary's forward position, then disconnected the pipes, flipped the manifold/turbo. Looks like I can fab a hot pipe that would that would place the primary in the same location in relation to the secondary, allowing me to use the primary mount I have, and with no changes to my downpipe/exhaust. If I'm not careful, this thing won't be ready to tow my Jeep until next spring :hehe:

IMG_20140330_170839.jpg

IMG_20140330_170911.jpg

Hey just some FYI info that you may or may not already know. If you have a smart phone like most people probably do, you can go to Google and type in 20% off harbor freight coupon and you'll have a valid coupon anytime you walk in their store. Its always up to date and they have never turned me down when I hand them my phone with the coupon pulled up. Hope it saves ya some cash.

I've read up on this turbo a bit in the last few days. Might be a better option. You guys are in Layton aren't you? I may drive up and talk a bit more about if your willing.

I actually work for Outlaw Diesel Performance now. We're up in Ogden, and everything we use is from Chris at E.D we buy a lot of turbos from him. And have had extremely good luck with the abuse we put them through. But your more than welcome to cruise up and talk about options. Just shoot me a P.M if you need address and stuff.

Hey just some FYI info that you may or may not already know. If you have a smart phone like most people probably do, you can go to Google and type in 20% off harbor freight coupon and you'll have a valid coupon anytime you walk in their store. Its always up to date and they have never turned me down when I hand them my phone with the coupon pulled up. Hope it saves ya some cash.

And they have the coupon ad's by the front door when you walk in.

I've used those coupons several times over the years, but you have to read the fine print on those things. They exclude a lot of shop equipment like compressors, stands, etc. That day I got 20% off everything I needed to set up my new shop.

Some updates finally on this truck. Been waiting on parts and doing some mock up. I decided to flip the secondary and redo the piping.

Ordered a new head from Pure Diesel, then took it to a local shop for a 3 angle valve job. They had to machine the head flat too. Bought a 184/215 cam. In the mean time started the mock up of the turbos.

First I wanted to see if there was room for a hotpipe if I flipped the secondary without having to move the primary.

II's setup

P1000802.jpg

P1000803.jpg

Removed piping and flipped manifiold and secondary

P1000805.jpg

Bought this SS elbow to use as a hotpipe. 3.5" OD on a 3" bend cast sch 10 Put it in place and will have to move the primary about .75" forward and .25" to passenger side

P1000804.jpg

P1000808.jpg

Flanges for hotpipe. Ground the s300 outlet flange down on one side so it would slip on the elbow as far as possible. T6 transition flange from machine fab on ebay.

P1000825.jpg

P1000826.jpg

P1000827.jpg

P1000833.jpg

P1000829.jpg

Modified the primary's mount for its changed location, bolted the hotpipe up and mocked up the coldpipe using dryer vent hose.

P1000836.jpg

P1000822.jpg

P1000844.jpg

Then put the motor in the truck to make sure everything clears. The intercooler pipe should work, just have to extend it 8"-10". Plenty of room for a 5" downpipe.

P1000858.jpg

P1000860.jpg

P1000856.jpg

P1000857.jpg

Tomorrow I'll order everything I need to to finish fabbing the cold and down pipe and all the paints for the block, exhaust manifold and turbine housings. Once everything is fabbed, this truck should come together fairly quick.

How are you protecting the new intake pipe( primary to secondary) from heat?

Nice build up.

Awesome build man. Watching for more pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk