High Performance Tow Rig & Weekend Getaway Truck

Sidious

Yes, I live in a shop bay
This build started about a year ago. Before that, the truck was parked in a storage shed for 8 months or so. Started getting a fair amount of fuel in the oil so I pulled the head to take a look and decided to park it to do a full engine rebuild.

Bought this truck in July 2011. At the time, I was living and working in Monterrey Mexico but spending one week a month in Salt Lake City. I had just sold the Jeep I had in Salt lake, and wanted a modified diesel truck to drive when in town. Bought the 98 in my sig. Very clean truck inside, out and underneath.

20956626.jpg

SANY0543.jpg

SANY0550.jpg

I drove it for about a year when I noticed fuel in the oil during an oil change. Decided to pull the head and found this. Not enough clearance, had a bare spot like this on every piston, and it looked like the #4 rings were the ones leaking fuel. At that point I figured I'd be better off pulling the engine and do a full rebuild. I"ve never done an engine rebuild and was looking forward to a slow project to work on during my week in Salt Lake.

P1000588.jpg

P1000245.jpg

P1000240.jpg

Only problem was I had nowhere to work on it, so I put it in storage. I'd been living in Monterrey since 2006, but had always rented an apartment in Salt Lake. Fast forward to November 2012 and I rent a shop bay with it's own studio apartment. Perfect for my week stays in Salt lake. Now on to the build.

This is everything I've done in 2013

Pulled the engine.

P1000565.jpg

P1000569.jpg

P1000570.jpg

Bench full of parts to be cleaned

P1000590.jpg

Started on the engine bay. Removed everything from the inner fenders. First pressure washed, then wiped the entire bay down with acetone, then painted the frame and inner fenders.

Before
P1000692-1.jpg

Pressure washed and solvent cleaned.

P1000693.jpg

Painted

P1000700-1.jpg

I moved back to Salt lake permanently in January of this year. While in Monterrey I built the Jeep in my avatar. I shipped the Jeep to Salt Lake and need to change direction a little on the truck build. I've researched a lot over the last couple years, mostly on this forum. I plan on using Forum vendors as much as possible in return.

My goal is to have a 600-700 hp truck I can tow my Jeep with. Not just a tow rig though, something to take trips to Vegas in, an all around street truck that's a blast to drive. I will be replacing the PS64 for an S360 or 362, something I can drop in place of the 64. Change out the 5x18's for 16's or 14's and possibly detune the pump. Probably put a stock cam back in it unless I come across a good deal.

I ordered a set of 286210 pistons from mumau, and received them two days later, then had to call them back two weeks later and tell them to charge my card for them. The nice lady laughed and mentioned this wasn't the first time this had happened :hehe:

Took the short block to Love Machine. They took .003 off the deck and bored the cylinders .020 over. Everything else just needed to be polished.

P1000792.jpg

Waiting on the head now. I have access to paint booths and furnaces so I will be ordering some high temp engine and ceramic paints for the block, exhaust manifold and turbos.

What do you do in Monterry Mexico?

Company I worked for manufactures aircraft parts. I started in 2006, about a year after they opened the facility. I initially went down there for support during the initial setup, then ended up staying on full time.

Nice sled. I need one now that I'm back in Salt Lake.

Last edited:
Love it! My build is for the same reason, to tow my jeep around. Went with 62/65 over 3B, should be close to 600 I hope. Good luck with the build and have fun doing it.

The cam. PO didn't check clearances after the install. I bought this truck built with everything in my sig.

sure glad i didnt buy that truck, your rebuild is looking sweet tho,going to be an awesome truck

Just a suggestion, but a 63/68/14 would work perfect for what your wanting to do. We've had really good luck with the few we've done on customers trucks. The Billet 63's we get from E.D work really well. Only downside is our elevation. Makes it hard to setup chargers at times. Compression is your friend up here.

Thanks for the comments guys. This has been a slow build so far, but I need to get this done now. Can't go wheeling until I have the truck running.

purediesel

I've been watching your build. You've put in a ton of work on that thing :Cheer:

TRUBBS

The truck was definitely worth buying, very clean truck, no rust and a lot of high performance parts throughout the entire drivetrain. Parts alone are worth close to what I paid for the whole truck. After the engine rebuild, this truck will run strong for years.

murphy41

I wouldn't think there would be much difference in spool up between a 63/68/14 and my 62/65/.7 I'm no expert though, certainly open to any suggestions anyone may have. Eventually I'll replace my box 478/96/1.32 for a custom 478/92/1.1 or 1.25 housing, but that might not be until next spring. Looking for the fastest spooling setup i can get, while staying within my hp goal.

Right now I'm leaning towards a T3 S362/65 or 68/.7 or an S360/65 or 68/.7 Either should drop into my existing piping setup. This truck lives at 4500' and will be towing as high as 9000'. Any thoughts?

I had seen the Phat Shaft 64 and thought that was what you were compounding with. And that was why I suggested the 63/68. Spool difference between a 62/68/12 and a 63/68/12 is gonna be VERY minimal. And a 63 compressor MAP will blow a 62 out of the water by a long shot.

For towing at high elevation, I would seriously consider reworking the turbo piping and installing an He351 or even an HX35.

Back when I lived in Utah, I ran an He351cw on my 99' 24v daily driver, it was a nice clean efficient single turbo setup and great for almost 500 HP on the dyno and 350-400 useable HP towing in the hills. An He351cw in a compound setup is almost unbeatable for towing performance.