Holley black pump

Dragram440

Anyone running one or two? If so they working out for you? I put a few hundred miles on my truck a year and race it a few times a year. I already have my plumbing set up for any pump with a fuel cell so thats not a issue. I would guess I can hook it up to the stock lift pump wiring?

Also it says the max psi on a black pump is 14 psi. Will that be enough or do I need to adjust the spring to get more pressure out of one?

I've heard they don't like diesel, and usually fail after a while. A few people I know have had luck with the Carter pump...they make one that's around 100gph and 14-ish psi.

Seen many folks use them. They will last a few years. If you call Holley, they will tell you diesel eats them...and it eventually does. Results may vary. If you use one just keep a spare in your truck. $.02

I know its not what you were asking about, but I'm running a Walbro 255 and it keeps up just fine with my regulator set to 25psi.

What causes these pumps to fail?
i'd think gas or alky would be worse on the seals and whatnot?

I've had a Holley black knockoff as a pusher to my stock mechanical for over 3 years. Truck only gets shut down for the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't remember, can the injection pump suck the fuel through them if they fail? I seem to think they are not able to and some plumb a circuit around them in the event they fail so they aren't stranded.

This was several years ago on duramax trucks.

I had one on my duramax about 3 years ago. It worked ok for about 4 months then started leaking externally and wouldnt maintain pressure. I could pull it to 0 psi just revving in neutral. I wouldn't ever run one again if you rely on your truck for anything.

I used the holly dominator black

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-1400
HLY-12-1400_ml.jpg

What causes these pumps to fail?
i'd think gas or alky would be worse on the seals and whatnot?

I don't understand how a seal can withstand gasoline but dissolve in diesel either....but apparently from what I have been told that is what happens. I think I still have one from Justin's truck in my shop that lasted about 9 months and started leaking.

I ended up ordering a Quick Fuel 155. Its 155 gph and I called Quick fuel and they said it will work fine with diesel. I just took off a Fass drp02 as I dont think that was enough pump for my application.

This is the one I ended up getting.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Fuel-Technology-30-155-Electric/dp/B00C3VU5D6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444841314&sr=8-1&keywords=quick+fuel+30-155"]Amazon.com: Quick Fuel Technology 30-155 Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ab5r7DKUL.@@AMEPARAM@@41ab5r7DKUL[/ame]

How much recomended fuel pressure for a vp pump again? If this has 14 psi out of the box will that be enough for my vp as long as it maintains around 14?

thatll work..i run a holley blk..have for yrs. probly been thru 2 since 2004 when I started ruining my truck. 220k on it. got a spare on board but have only failed me on the road once...run it with barbs and its a 10 min swap if it dies on ya

thatll work..i run a holley blk..have for yrs. probly been thru 2 since 2004 when I started ruining my truck. 220k on it. got a spare on board but have only failed me on the road once...run it with barbs and its a 10 min swap if it dies on ya

I actually dont put that many street miles on this truck and it usually isnt that far from home. The truck is a 94 Ram 1500 2wd regular cab short box. The truck doesnt tow anything as it has no hitch and is pretty low to the ground.

I'm not entirely positive on this, but the theory between something being gasoline compatible while not being diesel compatible doesn't have to do with the seal dissolving so much as swelling due to diesel being more like oil (the same principle as if you add atf or engine oil to your breaking system all the seals swell up, and cause all kinds of problems) the corrosive factor of methanol, and ethanol is quite different, and has to do with the way alcohol dries things

as long as it maintains 14psi under load that pump will be fine.

I had my fass pump at 24 psi at idle and would go down to 9 to 10 psi under wot. That seems like a lot of drop in pressure. Hopefully this will maintain a more stable pressure.

Not to many elastomers are ideally compatible with all the common fuels. Does anyone know what material the Holley Black pump has in its seals?

Edit: perfluoroelastomer (FFKM) IE. Kalrez is SUPER expensive, and likely not found in any automotive grade pumps. I've never worked with the Hifluor, but it looks like its designed to a little bit less expensive. Also, one must consider the additives that are in our fuels, and who knows what those actually consist of and what the actual concentrations are. Designing a good fuel pump doesnt seem very easy, especially when you throw extreme cold into the mix.

I compiled this data from the Parker O-Ring Handbook.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Fuel Compatability Chart.jpg
    Fuel Compatability Chart.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back