Hot pipe bottle neck

smokinVE

$$+VE=NO HP
Is this going to be a hot spot and or a bottle neck for my hot pipe? If so any solutions or places to get a very short transition? The stainless 90 fits perfect for the t4 adaptor, the hx 40 flange is a bit too big. The 90 fits inside of the hx 40, it fits tight but the pipe is fully inside the flange.

IMAG0136_zpsbgsuy5ue.jpg

IMAG0135_zpsbwyvtmkg.jpg

Weld it in place with the intent of smoothing/light porting after. I don't think a VE will ever notice.

Weld inside the joint and grind it down to a smooth transition. I think that's what 56cummins is getting at in his reply.

Thank you guys for the quick reply. I was thinking the same thing.

IMAG0139_zpsjcof5whc.jpg

I'm worried about this, that's close to the fire wall.
IMAG0138_zpslo0fhxh5.jpg

I'm thinking I'll run a support bar from the T4 flange to one of the exhaust manifold studs and one down to the plate for the engine mount to block. Anyone have a better idea, or should that be enough?

IMAG0137_zpska0sqtmr.jpg

Air filter pipe and cold pipe are going to be close.

I like the short hotpipe, most run that long snaking pipe to the primary you know is loosing alot of temp. I'm building a similar set now. Looks good!

Thanks jasonc, I hope it works out well.

2016-05-01%2013.50.01_zpshxc4zn2u.jpg

Cold pipe and inter stage pipe look like they'll be a pretty straight shot. I have a small water to air unit I'm going to try and tuck next to the air filter for the inner stage. I'll have to get the hot, cold and air filter pipes built and see if I can tuck it in there next to the air filter, before I commit to that.

I may end up with a fender stack looking at it now. I'm loosing my exhaust area to the inner stage pipe. I may be able to snake it down threw the inner fender and go back. Time will tell.

IMAG0149_zpsxxkgf775.jpg

I do not have the ability to weld aluminum at home. I have to go to a friends house with beer to use his machine. Waiting on the mail for the flanges for the inner stage pipe. I need to order the air filter so I can decide if the water to air will fit.

Hood or fender stack will be a must. If I keep the HVAC I can't get the exhaust out any other way.

IMAG0154_zpszrmuh8b7.jpg

IMAG0157_zpsvjngmg6j.jpg

IMAG0156_zps7dmd0fab.jpg

Just to make things a bit more difficult.

I just killed any hope of having a decent "cold" place for an air filer and an inner fender that isn't hacked up.

Have any of you had to have their wife operate a ratchet strap while holding onto something in a awkward position? It was like trying to explain rocket science....

Just a thought. Why not route the downpipe towards the inner wheel well like they do on compound duramax's. There is way more than enough room in our wheel wells to accomplish that. Use some good exhaust wrap and you can keep it on the outside of the frame rail and and have a cool sidepipe exhaust exiting before the passenger rear tire. If you clock the secondary down some and go over the cold pipe with the exhaust from the primary you should have a clear shot.

Last edited:
How much of an angle can a turbo survive? I set the inner fender in, did a couple pie cuts and tacked some inner stage pipe so I can get an idea. I think I can get the exhaust back and out, may have to do 3" for a short section.

I brought the water to air up some and tilted it a bit. Helped a bunch for my pipe angles and keeping most of my inner fender. Air filter area is not much. I could do a 180 and have a good size filter but it would be sucking under hood temps in. I'd really like to build some thing that would get air that isn't under the hood feed to it. I'll have to build the pipes and mount it all, then decide on a filter. I see lots of guys just having a filter clamped to the primary, but I'm already at a disadvantage with the VE. I want to help it best I can.

I have no pictures right now. I forgot my phone at work and I'm on my wife's, I forgot my photo bucket password.....

How much of an angle can a turbo survive? I set the inner fender in, did a couple pie cuts and tacked some inner stage pipe so I can get an idea. I think I can get the exhaust back and out, may have to do 3" for a short section.

I brought the water to air up some and tilted it a bit. Helped a bunch for my pipe angles and keeping most of my inner fender. Air filter area is not much. I could do a 180 and have a good size filter but it would be sucking under hood temps in. I'd really like to build some thing that would get air that isn't under the hood feed to it. I'll have to build the pipes and mount it all, then decide on a filter. I see lots of guys just having a filter clamped to the primary, but I'm already at a disadvantage with the VE. I want to help it best I can.

I have no pictures right now. I forgot my phone at work and I'm on my wife's, I forgot my photo bucket password.....

~15 degrees is a general max recommendation

Those are coming together nicely. I might have to steal your design minus the inter stage a/w though.

What chargers see you running? Are you running a 1.10ar t4 on your primary? I've always been under the impression that the primary was better off with a t6 turbine housing.

I've received a few pm's about my hot pipe. It was purchased from tristar, it's local to me, I think they have nation wide stores? Mine had it on the shelf, it's stainless it was 25$ish.

Thank you guys for all the positive feedback, please tell me if something is off! I'm all ears!

Both are forced built units with their billit wheels. 63/68/.8 duel gated tall t3 11 blade and a 76/92/1.1 T4.

IMAG0164_zpszgk2u44q.jpg

IMAG0163_zpspmn8h286.jpg

I'm playing with angles now. This is shorter but more bends.

Eye balls tells me this will give me more filter room too.

I'm waiting on the mail still to see if my hillbilly set up comes around.

I suppose I should start some sort of a build thread. I still have to get all of this plumbed in
IMAG2370_zpszw1opjho.jpg

Plus all the rear suspension work that's coming up.

For this little old guy...
IMAG1491_zpse74dbc2c.jpg