How low can I go???

chw

3rd gen 4x4. I want to lower it as much as possible front and rear. How much spring can I cut in the front? how many inches can the front be dropped. and in the rear I want to remove block and some springs. how would you guys do it??I will not tow or put anything in the truck. Will I have to change the shocks or will the factory ones be ok? thanks.

that all depends on the wheels and tires that you run. and yes you would have to change out the shocks.

i just did it in my second gen today i removed the factory block and put a smaller one in and took a few leafs out. it ended up dropping it 3 inches in the rear and i left the front stock height. truck sits low and level. you could do the same with the 3rd gen, and i didnt change the shocks

taking 3 inches out will cause your rear shocks to bottom out when you hit a bump!

not if you use a shorter shock absorber

i know this!

01CumminsSport -
i just did it in my second gen today i removed the factory block and put a smaller one in and took a few leafs out. it ended up dropping it 3 inches in the rear and i left the front stock height. truck sits low and level. you could do the same with the 3rd gen, and i didnt change the shocks

I pulled most of my rear springs out, the spacer block, just left the pin centering block,,, and I never changed my shocks,, it hasnt bottomed out yet,, but then again I dont drive mine a ton either

im gunna run some 30.5 slicks on it most likely. how do i determine what size shocks to run and what brand do yall recommend??

I pulled most of my rear springs out, the spacer block, just left the pin centering block,,, and I never changed my shocks,, it hasnt bottomed out yet,, but then again I dont drive mine a ton either

What did you do in the front??

shocks are listed by length so if you drop the truck 2 inches you want a shock that is 2 inches shorter. you want to try to stay with the same shock travel or as close to it as you can.

I am going to drop it as close to 2" as I can, I am going to cut 1 coil,, then go from there till I get to 2"

Kevin

that is my plan as well once i get my knee back in shape. i want to drop it 2 inches just remember that is you drop it 2 inches that you are taking 2 inches out of the travel of the shocks.

Im going to do the same as all. I want to drop the front about 2" and the back about 3", just to make it level.

I bought a second set of springs (front) and debating on cutting out a few inches and heating it and bending it flat, just dont want the sharp edge. Or heating the bottom up while its in a press and bending the bottom part until it goes down 2".

What do you all think.... Bad idea in heating it??

Yeah,, dont heat it. just leave it as it is, it will be fine. CHW how fast do you plan on going that you want slicks? I run mid 10's no slicks, no problems

yeah heating it is a bad ideal cause you will effect the heat treatment of the metal. this can cause the spring to break while going down the road i would just cut them with a cut off wheel and call it a day.

hey morkable you need to watch it if you bottom you shocks out on launch it will mess up your traction off the line.

I think I will go 2" the front and 4" rear. New shocks, not sure what brand. grind my calipers and put 16" rims with slicks and trac bars. Anybody have any ideas on what trac bars for drag racing???

The trucks should be over 1k hp with the big twins MPI's big set. If I spray it who knows what it could make. once I get it dialed in I will put it on the track and hope to run some low 10s maybe get in the 9's.

I am working on a set,, should have some test ones built here fairly soon,, be even sooner if I was a welder fabricator myself. But they should be good,, I am estimating in the 20 # range for the 2 of them.

FWIW I dont plan on running slicks, never have, and dont really ever plan on it.. I have cut 1.60 60' with 305 50 20 falken stz's. I have this argument with lots of guys, there is no way to properly warm up a set of slicks on a 4x4 to make it worth while to run them.. unless you can figure out a way to light up the fronts to get them as warm as the backs,,

just my 2cents

Kevin

I dont spin and run 10's, are you running in 4WD Scott? There should be no way you are spinning running a 13