How much boost have you ran through stock Hbolts over torqued?

I dont feel like having to start my truck with ether every morning. High elevation and cold winters suck the life outta these diesels...

yeah i agree with you, utah winters can get pretty cold. something about having to look like a built sled puller, feathering it with ether everytime i wana leave work just dont sound fun.

so if you were to pull out the stock head bolts one at a time and lube them and clean them would you start at the center of the head and work your way out or does the order really matter?

so if you were to pull out the stock head bolts one at a time and lube them and clean them would you start at the center of the head and work your way out or does the order really matter?

This is correct..

One at a time...

From the middle working outward...

Take them back for factory (or close) specs..... and then work them up to desired tq. in 5 lb. incriments if you want them to hold a bit better...

Has no one bought high grade replacement bolts and tried those. There is a lot of discussion about products like might diesel's high grade head bolts and tensile strength has been found to be over 180kpsi vs stock 135kpsi and arp's that are at 190k+psi.

Has no one bought high grade replacement bolts and tried those. There is a lot of discussion about products like might diesel's high grade head bolts and tensile strength has been found to be over 180kpsi vs stock 135kpsi and arp's that are at 190k+psi.

i wana try it, i think i seen a picture on here somewhere where a 24v had hex-head bolts that he was running. but thats about all i know, i was kinda hoping he would see this thread and post up..

This is correct..

One at a time...

From the middle working outward...

Take them back for factory (or close) specs..... and then work them up to desired tq. in 5 lb. incriments if you want them to hold a bit better...

thanks swole, so basically i want a wash board effect? flatting it out as i go!

thanks swole, so basically i want a wash board effect? flatting it out as i go!

Well, more so just taking it down evenly...

Given the threads time to cool between 5 lb. incriments...

If you have the patience, it can really benefit you in the end...

Mighty Diesel - Diesel Performance Parts For Cummins Powerstroke Duramax and More
you can do something like this all ready to go or you can do you homework from bolt suppliers and save way more. These bolts should also be reuseable much like studs. Due to their higher tensile strength they are much more like the popular studs than stock head bolts, where they have almost 0 stretch, and they will fracture rather than stretch.

Mighty Diesel - Diesel Performance Parts For Cummins Powerstroke Duramax and More
you can do something like this all ready to go or you can do you homework from bolt suppliers and save way more. These bolts should also be reuseable much like studs. Due to their higher tensile strength they are much more like the popular studs than stock head bolts, where they have almost 0 stretch, and they will fracture rather than stretch.

have you ever tried these bolts? or know anyone that has? i did some searching and they say not to tighten above 90 foot lbs because there more likely to break than stretch... im just curious.. i was thinking about giving them a shot and wanted to know if anyone has had good luck with them thanks

Well, more so just taking it down evenly...

Given the threads time to cool between 5 lb. incriments...

If you have the patience, it can really benefit you in the end...

Just wanting some clarification

Are you saying to take out each bolt, clean, oil and torq to stock specs, then up 5 lbs, then up 5 lbs again ect. IE #1 head bolt torq to stock, then 5lbs, then 5lbs again, then 5 lbs again untill you are at 130-135 lbs, then do the same to the #2 head bolt, then #3 head bolt ect.

Or are you saying to clean,oil, torq to factory specs following the torq sequence, then torq each bolt 5 lbs more following the torq sequence, then torq each bolt again another 5 lbs in sequence, ect.

Sorry about being wordy, I just want to avoid doing it improperly resulting in a failure.

Thanks

have you ever tried these bolts? or know anyone that has? i did some searching and they say not to tighten above 90 foot lbs because there more likely to break than stretch... im just curious.. i was thinking about giving them a shot and wanted to know if anyone has had good luck with them thanks

Where did you hear that from, they use the same torque sequence as stock head bolts, 90ft lbs, then 90*.

Just wanting some clarification

Are you saying to take out each bolt, clean, oil and torq to stock specs, then up 5 lbs, then up 5 lbs again ect. IE #1 head bolt torq to stock, then 5lbs, then 5lbs again, then 5 lbs again untill you are at 130-135 lbs, then do the same to the #2 head bolt, then #3 head bolt ect.

Or are you saying to clean,oil, torq to factory specs following the torq sequence, then torq each bolt 5 lbs more following the torq sequence, then torq each bolt again another 5 lbs in sequence, ect.

Sorry about being wordy, I just want to avoid doing it improperly resulting in a failure.

Thanks

Hopefully this will make sense:

Starting in middle.
Pull one bolt, clean it, clean the hole, Lube, take it down the stock specs

Do ALL 26 that way!!!

Then, Start in middle again...Working your way out in a circle...Take them ALL down in 5 ft. lb incriments......So ALL are at 105 or whatever..

Do ALL 26 again at 110

Do ALL 26 again at 115

So on and So on!! Until you reach your desired total tq spec... 135, 140, whatever...

Leave a bit of time inbetween each set....Set meaning ALL 26 taken up to that specific tq.... Letting the thread cool down...

Did that make better sence??

Back