How much boost have you ran through stock Hbolts over torqued?

For 79.00 from McMaster-Carr you can have 174k tensile strength allen head bolts and hardened washers for a 12V. The long bolts are 20mm too long but between bottom tapping the holes and trimming the end of the bolt they would probably be fine.

Where did you hear that from, they use the same torque sequence as stock head bolts, 90ft lbs, then 90*.

i just followed the link and called the number... i must have misunderstood him when we talked... thanks for clarifying it though:thankyou2:

Hopefully this will make sense:

Starting in middle.
Pull one bolt, clean it, clean the hole, Lube, take it down the stock specs

Do ALL 26 that way!!!

Then, Start in middle again...Working your way out in a circle...Take them ALL down in 5 ft. lb incriments......So ALL are at 105 or whatever..

Do ALL 26 again at 110

Do ALL 26 again at 115

So on and So on!! Until you reach your desired total tq spec... 135, 140, whatever...

Leave a bit of time inbetween each set....Set meaning ALL 26 taken up to that specific tq.... Letting the thread cool down...

Did that make better sence??

Thanks for the help. :Cheer:

Thats the way I would have thought to do it but some of the posts left me a little un-shure on how to do it properly. I just wanted to ask because I know there are alot of people here with more experience than I have.

I did the sequence the hanes manual indicated but i just went 100 110 120 then 130 on two bolts next to each other and repeated the process till they were all done.

Held up so good so far

Thanks for the help. :Cheer:

Thats the way I would have thought to do it but some of the posts left me a little un-shure on how to do it properly. I just wanted to ask because I know there are alot of people here with more experience than I have.

All Good man !!

Good luck with it!

David

I like the OEMs bolts over studs, I did testing on oems vs bolts and the bolts are a tad stronger (do to the smaller cross section on the OEMS) best bang for the buck,Im using 14mm bolts and orings in this build.With the motor out Its just labor and 100. for the bolts.Why run small bolts at the max yield when a bigger bolt can run less tq to achieve the same clamp force.

The guys name is Steven Gibble and he has been great dealing with all this, so I hate to bring to much of this up. I bought those bolts from him and broke one of them off in the block...the very back one up under the cowl. once I got the broken piece out I was able to determine the cause of failure, they were bottoming out in the block...just thought I would share that with yall. Another thing to consider, I broke a stock bolt while bringing them up to 120f-lbs.

The guys name is Steven Gibble and he has been great dealing with all this, so I hate to bring to much of this up. I bought those bolts from him and broke one of them off in the block...the very back one up under the cowl. once I got the broken piece out I was able to determine the cause of failure, they were bottoming out in the block...just thought I would share that with yall. Another thing to consider, I broke a stock bolt while bringing them up to 120f-lbs.

Did the bolt bottem out at the base of the thread or the bottem? It had to be nasty getting it out. Did you notice if the bolts were longer them the OEM ?

Did the bolt bottem out at the base of the thread or the bottem? It had to be nasty getting it out. Did you notice if the bolts were longer them the OEM ?

they bottomed out on the threads, the thread taper was slightly different....getting the stud out was a BIOTCH. We did it at my old mans house, since he has a chit-ton of tools. We had to make a sleeve to go into the bolt hole to keep the small drill bit centered. Then drill the hole, and used an EZ out (stud removal tool), and two days of fighting the pos later it came out.....I should have just bought another set of stock bolts... I think the .020 gasket and stock bolts at 120ftlbs would have held plenty of pressure.

if this turns into another 1:1 boost/drive pressure ratio saves headgaskets....ill be pissed.

Excessive timing = Excessive Cyl. pressures = unhappy head gaskets!

Back