How much HP will a Dual Disk take?

JOHNBOY

ZF6 Sled Puller
I was putting my clutch back in today when I notced my pressure plate was cracked. See pics here. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?p=424826#post424826

I maybe able to get another pressure plate but I am not sure if it is pointless. Going with a triple might be my only good option. The only triple disk is from SBC. I am not a big SBC fan. Had bad luck with them in the past. Might just have to give Peter a call.

What do you all think? Will two Mcloed disks and 3800 psi plate hold 800RWHP?

Slipping is the issue, the heat that cracks the pressure plate is caused by slipping the clutch. Limit the slipping, and you limit the clutch rebuilds. I had an issue with my old EEP clutch, but I slipped it alot, the carnage was kind of expected.

-Tom

go with Haisley love mine it is only a dual. i have about 600 rwhp and it has over 30 hooks on it and many back to back, and has no slipping issues

I dont usaully slip it a lot. I wonder if it was sliping even after I was off the pedal. Lot of beating on that clutch. It was not that way a couple of hooks ago. But I have far more power now. With the new engine I have to keep the rpm up. Sounds like triple disk for me.

John my brother and I have both burned up our DD clutches in 4 hooks for both of us. Mine is a SBC and his was a valair. We both run big gears, and thats what probably caused a lot of the issues we have. I'm not sure its as much as slipping as it just won't hold the power. When I went to take off I'd be off of the pedal within 15 to 20ft and the clutch just wouldn't engage. I'm not a big fan of SBC either, my brother went with a triple disc from Valair.

diaphragm pressure plate and 2 discs no! diaphragm pressure and 3 discs yes.
Peter at sbc will even tell you after one tire revolution to be off the clutch , if you have to ride it longer you need more power!

Last edited:
I honestly did not ride it. Blew the tires loose both times.

Diaphragm pressure plates are all there are for a ZF Dmax.

I don't think theres a guy out there pulling thats off the clutch within one tire revolution...Maybe with 4 bald tires......

I always need more power...:hehe:

Last edited:
Kenny's machine makes a good triple disc. Honestly I think a good dual disc would probably holde I also have a Haisley with 15 or so hooks on it this year alone and 15 hooks on it last year and still holds great. I slip it way more htan 1 tire revolution too. Think I might try 5th low before the end of the year and see how it works out.

John I feel your pain. Mine will be at SB tomorrow. I did get 15 hooks out of it. The cracks on mine go around the pressure plate, not inside to outside.

SBC_003.JPG

have you tried valair, they may make a triple, but i am not for sure

The DD clutch is really starting not to cut it anymore no matter the brand if your running big power and want to be able to run a big gear you better save your money and go with a triple disk Ive seen more DD clutches trashed this year than Ive ever heard of.

I like the mcloud pressure plate (weighted) and iron disk no worries now , I had a kennys and was good but it wouldnt hold when turning 4K , I know a few 800+ hp trucks that use just the DD mclouds , If u see a triple usen a stock bell housing it uses a Kennys fly wheel

For 200$ I can upgrade to a triple if ever needed PowerPartsEngineering is a good start

PowerPartsEngineering is a good start[/QUOTE]

I second that thought. I have pulled mine in 4low 4th about a dozen times and the rest in low 3rd. With 3.55's low 4th should be about a 9:1 final drive and low 3rd is about a 16:1 . Man i wish i had 4low 4th out of a 6 speed in my 4500. Tim

Hmm he told me about a guy pulling in 4th low 4th , that is a crazy final for pulling

Give Craig a call and see if he has anything that may be a better option for you. I like mine a alot. Got several hooks in 2nd high with 3.54 gears. Lots of foolin around on the street too.

Hmm he told me about a guy pulling in 4th low 4th , that is a crazy final for pulling

Most of the guys I pull with in Badger run 4th low with 4.88s. I also agree thats a pretty steep final. One of them just replaced his clutch after it self destructed.

ZF High range
1st 5.79
2nd 3.30...................x 3.73=12.31
3rd 2.10
4th 1.31
5th 1.00
6th 0.72
rev 5.23

ZF low range X 2.72
1st 15.7489
2nd 8.976
3rd 5.712
4th 3.5632...................x 3.73=13.29
5th 2.72.......................x 3.73=10.145
6th 1.9584
Finals in red. Fourth low and low 500hp the clutch took it well. I have no trouble now in 2nd high. I would really like to get into 5th low to save the trans output. I might need 4.10s for that. That would bring final 11.1. I am not sure I have enough motor for 10.145. It handles 12.31 well.

Same situation here, same ratio's. I purposely ran all but one hook in fourth low, knowing the clutch wouldn't take it. I should hear something on mine today. I'll let you know what I find out.