How rare is it ?

QMFB

Fastest Welder in Texas
In process of Rebuild on my '04. Recently decided to do a 6.4 build with it, so I picked up a really nice standard bore 6.7 block (thanks Mark).
Anyway, upon cleaning up the 6.7 block, I noticed that the main caps were different than the mains on my 5.9 block. The 6.7 block only has machining to accept a single 180° thrust bearing.
My 5.9 block has a machined cap to accept a 360° thrust bearing.

So, I typed in a search, and the only info I could find was through Enterprise Engine and their description on their main Bearing set with 360° thrust. It said "very few of these engines were produced using a 360° thrust bearing" and that the 180° was pictured and most common.

So, do I use the 360 cap from my 5.9, with that crank in my 6.7 block ? I would assume it's a good Upgrade ?

Or does it not really matter ?

I will be selling the 5.9 block (clean standard bore, by the way) and don't know if it will still be a good block with a standard 180° thrust main cap ?

You can see the main caps here on the 5.9

#6 is different

Attachments

• 1506810387055761417783.jpg
    1506810387055761417783.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1506810415726115771945.jpg
    1506810415726115771945.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 0
If you want to swap main caps your gonna have to line bore the block. That wouldn't be an option in my opinion.

What would be wrong with line honing ?

I'd swap. Should get it line honed/bored either way because they ar not always true from the get go. And especially if you are running any kind of girdle or main studs.

That's true there, but swapping caps who knows how much needs to be cut to get it true. Raises crank in the block.

I went through this earlier in the year. You should be able to find the thread. I lost my Fn mind over it for a day or two.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I went through this earlier in the year. You should be able to find the thread. I lost my Fn mind over it for a day or two.

About the 360° thrust ? I've been googling my arse off looking for info on it... And nothing.
If a 360 is a good Upgrade on a turbo, then it should be pretty dang desirable on a crankshaft, right ?

And the cap set that has the 360 on it, is the same set that went to the 5.9 crankshaft that I am putting in the 6.7 block... If that makes any difference ?

I got 2 cr 5.9 and the #6 cap is the same as your pics , only a thrust bearing up top regular bearing in the block

I just figured that's how they all were , maybe you got the wrong main cap in the 6.7 ?

One more (probably retarded) question. Are head alignment dowels, and main cap alignment dowels the same dowel ? Cause they look similar, and I can't find main cap dowels listed for sale anywhere.

I just figured that's how they all were , maybe you got the wrong main cap in the 6.7 ?

Nope, the caps in the 6.7 are for sure factory original... So yours had the 360 caps, but only the 180 bearing shell ? That's odd.

Nope, the caps in the 6.7 are for sure factory original... So yours had the 360 caps, but only the 180 bearing shell ? That's odd.

The engine I just assembled and put in my truck I was wondering about 360 thrust but it just had one half , guess I could have put two in there , learn something new everyday!

The engine I just assembled and put in my truck I was wondering about 360 thrust but it just had one half , guess I could have put two in there , learn something new everyday!
Mine didn't have enough meat to run both bearings

I hear ya. Until today I had no idea that there were two different thrust bearing types. Kinda surprised I haven't come across this before. And apparently, it's not widely known. Since I discovered this today, I've been searching and searching and still not much info.

Thanks for the link to that thread Biggy. I should have thought to ask Mark ! Lol... Now im gonna go look at casting #'s

Well my casting # is one number off from the one Mark posted as having the 360° main cap.

So #3953350 has a 360 (Marks), and mine
Is #3963350, and has a 360 main cap.