HX 35 Hybrid worth the effort ???

dslstax

Driver
Thinking of building a hybrid hx35, is the flow that much better to be worth the trouble of buying parts and machining the housing ?:redx:

In my opinion, absolutely not. Save your time and money for a real turbo.

Agreed.

If you can pick one up for a few hundred bucks, go for it. Otherwise, isn't worth the time or money.

You can usually buy an HX40 for the same price as building that hybrid and you get the same performance out of it. If you just need alittle more turbo, get a small s300, like a 62 something or other. Unless of course you have to fit in some stock appearing turbo class...

you can buy a 62/71/16 on ebay for $320 brand new, i got one and couldnt say good enough things about it!! spools good of the line for a 16 and will peg my 40lb gauge by 3rd gear i love it!! and it will directly bolt on to all stock parts.. (oil fittings, exhaust elbow, charge piping etc..)

make sure its got a t3 if your running a stock or comprable manifold (3pc etc...)

be sure to get a t3 adapter or a t3exhaust on the turbo
UPGRADE HX40 DIESEL TURBO CHARGER CUMMINS HX40W NEW @@ : eBay Motors (item 120519969619 end time Jan-25-10 16:14:57 PST)

That is a hell of a deal I think I might get one. What kind of power will that support? I know it says 800+ in the desc but I cant believe that

oh hell no... youll never see a cool 800 there, you gotta remember alot of people buy our big turbos for their ricers... this will go 800bhp on a 4cyl but never on a big 6 lol im estimating im around 3-400 and no im not a idjit that adds everything i got lol (edge comp 150, intake 25, exhaust 20, =200hp) more like 150 in my eyes...

back on topic, i love the turbo and one thing i can say about it is mileage, holy hell!!!
i made a run from houston to sanantonio, about 4 hrs straight on the highway cruising roughly 85 with 3.55s, nv4500 and i came out to 31mpg, i burned less than 1/4 tank in a little over 4 hrs!!!

im a standard guy i cant speak on spooling of automatics by any means but id highly recommend this for any std trans guys! id prolly love it more if i had a headgasket and a GSK because this baby will spool until im outta fuel with the boost pegged...

in my pics here its the smaller one of the 2, this is my twin setup as of now...

oh the turbo on the left (bigger 1) is a 66/95/20 in comparison

I just have an hx on mine and have lightning 1's and j/a hot so for now I am just looking for something that wont break the bank but something so I can use what I have got with out worrying about egts to much but as of now its easy to hit 1600*

youd be safe buying this turbo then... i never had egt problems i mean cmon a 16cm is moving some hot air now!!! (for a streeter)

i highly recommend to anyone in the turbo market... dont buy a bd or banks or high tech,... your buying a name straight up... a turbo isnt worth $1500+ it just isnt... this turbo is ~~similar~~ to a
bd super b
ats aurora 4000
high tech 62/16
and all those are at $1500!!!!

Thanks thats good to know but mabey I missed it but what will this support for a cummins app

like i said, i got ~300-400~ i havent dynoed but just my calculations
i think youd be pushing the limit of the 62inducer with 500hp engine IMO
id recommend it for a stock replacement all the way to 450hp... and like i said id love it if i had a GSK even more...
it seems well mannered for a stock pump or a maxed out pump... and you cant deny a mileage improvement on any pickup for the matter this turbo should pay for itself over 5000mi highway... unless your racing around...

i have a vgt now just because its cold in laramie and i need a quick warmup...

Thanks for the info it does help and at the rate I save money for upgrades it will be fine for a while. Sorry for the slight derail

oh lil story, i had a buddy back home that did the 35hybrid in our shop on the lathe... he bought the compwheel and housing for like 250bux and took him about a day to do the machining and install it on his truck, he spools quicker than me and takes off faster but im winning by 4th gear usually... haha

his truck
98 12v 130,000mi ext cab longbox pump maxed bhaf...62/stock/12< whatever the hx35 dimensions are... nv4500 2x4 355s turnin 33"s

my truck
97 12v 250,000mi ext cab longbox pump maxed bhaf 62/71/16 nv4500 4x4 3.55s turning 36"s

I'm calling BS on the 31mpg. 21 maybe, but no 31.

A PDR HX40 is rated to be good up to 425hp on a Cummins. But, I couldn't keep 363hp cool when I had one on my truck. I gained 53hp and 99ft/lb of torque just swapping the 40 for the HTT Killer B2 64/14.

Best gain you should see with the 40 is picking up 1mpg.

A guy once told me that men will lie about 2 things......

One is "sex",

the other is fuel mileage.:hehe:

True story by the way.

It also doesn't add up where he's talking about a 62mm wheel in an hx35 hybrid. That wheel wasn't out of an hx40.

He's thinking he's got a 62/71/16, and then shows the HX40W that he bought. Obviously he has no idea WTH he's talking about. Also, he has an 8 blade compressor wheel, which is the lowest flowing wheel, I believe 58mm.

My 12v has been through 3 hx35/40 hybrids and 1 hx40, now has a 62/65/12. Would have been alot cheaper buying the 62 in the first place.

He's thinking he's got a 62/71/16, and then shows the HX40W that he bought. Obviously he has no idea WTH he's talking about. Also, he has an 8 blade compressor wheel, which is the lowest flowing wheel, I believe 58mm.
:umno:

logan and i measured the turbo... if you want to argue, ill get some calipers and take pics for you...
logan is LOGANP on this forum