HX 35 Hybrid worth the effort ???

I maade 436rwhp and 901tq with a 60mm HX40 and my EGTs were about 1200 post turbo(probably 14-1450 pre) so I would say 450 hp is the reasonable max, maybe a toasty 500, but thats going to REALLY shorten its life. HX40's are already handicapped with the small shaft that is prone to snapping the first time you bark the turbo hard.

I can not personally vouch for him getting 31mpg, but as far as the turbo specs go. It said HX40 on the compressor housing tag, but the compressor inducer measured 62mm and the turbine exducer measured 71mm. I said it sounded like a Super Phatshaft 62, but we never ran the parts numbers to see which it was. I also wonder if it was built as a cheater turbo, looking to fit in a certain class but with certain parts that make more power.

It says right in the Ebay ad the compressor inducer is 56.60, and the turbine exducer is 64. Either it's a different turbo then the one in the link or you guys measured wrong.

A friend ordered a HX-40 from them for his 1st Gen. I think he is pretty happy with it, when we finally got the turbo we ordered that is. Only had to ship 3 turbos back to them before we got the one we had actually bought.

i do agee^^ the turbo in the link isnt the same a s the one i got but its from the same seller and it has the same pic for the item... it also has cummins written all over the page and says youll get 800hp out of it... you gotta remember some people are idiots, or just sell things they know nothing about...ill check out some calipers this week and take it apart and take pics to end this...

I've had a 35-40 for several years now. It's been a good turbo, saw 50+ lbs. of boost several times. Wheels and housing have gotten high. I think I gave 165 dollars when I did mine.
It sounds like the 40 on ebay ain't any bigger than a stock 35.
I'm kinda bias but I would probably invest in a he351 before going with a hybrid or the ebay 40.

I know they cast thier own comp housings, as it doesn't say Holset anywhere on the turbo my friend bought from them.

I know they cast thier own comp housings, as it doesn't say Holset anywhere on the turbo my friend bought from them.

i wont confirm or deny its knockoff piece of crapness... a turbo just like a truck is only gonna last so long depending on the driver... if you like building 40psi boost and letting off and just lettin'er surge like a hooker then
My 12v has been through 3 hx35/40 hybrids and 1 hx40, now has a 62/65/12.

YA YOUR GONNA GO THRU 3 OF THEM...
a turbo is a turbo... garrett holset ats bd htt or china... if it dont work send it back... if it does work then STFU an enjoy it...
at first i too was sketchy seeing a turbo (new) that cheap... buy hey i bought it, worked great when i used it and id recommend it for any street application less than 500hp...
:bow:so holset uses superior metal in their construction :bow: my redneck theory is if you got it on the truck for more than 1000 miles and it dont blow up then its good as a gold...
alot of people think just because a turbo cost $1500$ that its better than a $300$ one...

just because a 09 cummins costs more, dont make it any better than my 97:rockwoot:....

Dude, why you getting all defensive, all I said was they cast thier own housings, not better or worse, just thier own. Hey if you are happy with the turbo, good for you, that is all that really matters. I agree that most turbos are overpriced, but then again I am cheap. Although I would be pretty unhappy with a turbo that only made it 1,000 miles, even at only $300. On my 140,000 mile truck, I would have spent $42,000 in turbos by now, not exactly a good deal.

I would check your turbo to make sure it is what you bought, like I said I had to send three back for a friend, before we got the turbo we had ordered.

Last edited:
i sed if it made it 1000 miles then your good... as in "if it didnt blow up in the first 1000 miles of use" lol it'd definately be a piece of sheet if it only lasted 1000!!

an whether i bought what was advertised or not i wouldnt send it back... it was a badass turbo on my truck... and id put it back on in a heartbeat if i decided i wanted something other than the VGT...