hybrid hx35 or he351cw

Black Ice

c-pop
wanting a simple, practical, and worthwhile upgrade on a 12v, regularly grosses 25-35,000 lbs towing, hoping to reliably support 300-350 hp while remaining cool. currently cruising at 1100 deg with about 225-250 hp.

looking to upgrade to the 60mm wheel in the stocker, or try the he351cw off a 5.9cr. Forgot to put this in the post.

I put an he351 in the car yesterday, took out an hx40. the 351 spools waaay quicker, though its a bit hotter on the top end, due to a9cm exhaust over the 16 on the 40, was 1250 now 1400, but all around driveability is great... if you want something that drives like a 35 but better, get the 351

yea, know the he351 will spool better, just wonder how the cruising egts will compare with the 9cm vs the 12cm, both inducers are 60mm i think. Not worried as much with top end power.

my cruising egt, though I do have a much more aerodynamic car, stayed about 6 to 700, same as the 40. if the 351 came with an 11 or 12cm housing it would be even better! towing under a load of 25k might be where it gets you

yeah i know the weight is my major problem. On one hand the 9cm should make for more drive pressure and boost pressure while cruising, however it is also more restrictive. decisions decisions.

I have one on my 12v right now to use in a twin set up in the future. It is way over fueled and will get hot egts quick at wot. I havnt towed with it, but it does come standard on common rail trucks that make 350 HP easy and still tow. What I don't know is if the common rail heads flow better and allow them to run cooler?

I used to own a 99' 24 valve, I drove it for several years with the stock HX35 and several more years with an He351.

Cruising boost is higher with the He351. Cool-down time at idle is longer with the He351. Initial boost 0-5 is faster with the He. Mid boost 5-15 psi seemed to come on quicker with the HX (we're talking split seconds here). Peak boost, top-end power came on quicker with the He. Seemed like once the He hit about 30 psi boost, it started to make more power than the HX. Top-end with the He351 with modded wastegate set to 42-48 psi had 50-60 more horsepower with the same fueling. My truck was pretty heavily overfueled with 150HP injectors and Quad Adrenaline, otherwise I don't think it would have picked up that much HP, maybe 20-40 on a normal truck.

I did like towing a little bit better with the He351, it wasn't leaps and bounds better, but it was better. Although the exhaust housing is smaller, it seemed to have lower egt's when towing up grades. I'd guess that's partially due to the larger compressor = more air flow into the motor combined with the larger exhaust outlet and full 4" exhaust vs the HX35 that necks down to 2.5" at the turbine housing exit.

As I recall, the tighter exhaust housing on the He351 did seem to hurt fuel economy about 0.5 mpg.

With all that said, if I were in your shoes and I could pick-up a hybrid Hx35 with 60mm compressor for the same price as a used He351, I would stick with the HX35. No sense in reworking the exhaust and charge air piping when you can get basically the same performance with a hybrid HX.

Last edited:
just don't bark the hybrid turbo under load, they seen to want to snap the turbine shaft when you put a big wheel on the end of them

what if you put a bigger housing on the he351

Unless you spend money on custom machining, a larger housing doesn't exist.

The shaft is the same size between HX35 and He351, I'll bet the only reason the He's don't lose shafts with the large 60mm compressor is they have a lighter weight turbine wheel so they don't put as much strain on the shaft when it barks.

I personally think the He351 is perfectly setup for the size wheels and shafts it comes with from the factory. There is no reason to modify it with custom housings etc.

just don't bark the hybrid turbo under load, they seen to want to snap the turbine shaft when you put a big wheel on the end of them

Funny you should mention the no barking rule. My theory on that is the hx35's don't have a big enough w/g holes. And its not the barking that hurts them but its overspeeding/boosting. I ran a hybrid for about a year and half on mine but with a bighead w/g set at 42 psi. Maybe I just got lucky but I barked that thing frequently. And that turbo is still living in another truck.

what if you put a hx35 60compressor housing with say a 16cm exhaust housing??

What about an S300G? 57/65/14, the exhaust wheel should cut temps nicely and still spool well for towing.

I have been looking for about the same goals on my 12 valve chevy (300-350hp daily). I don't do quite as much towing, but I think the S300G 57/65/14 is my target turbo too, just have pony'd up the money yet to make it happen. Been hoping to find used but havent yet.

This may be a stupid question but I won't know if I don't ask, what's the difference between an HE 341 and an HE 351 charger?

The 341 has a 57mm inducer, I believe the 351's is 60mm. Also if I recall correctly the 351 has a larger wastegate.

I just put a 351 on my '01 and I like it. I am at stock fueling but compared to the HY35 that came on it it took 100F off max EGT. Recently had aVGT on there and it seemed to not be very efficient overall (it had issues though). I posted some details on NW Bombers HE351 Installed - BOMBER Board

I have ran the stock HX35, a 58mm comp HX40, and this HE351cw on my 12 valve now. Ill have the say the He351cw is the best of the ones I have ran. My 40 spooled a decent bit slower, and with the 58mm compressor, it didnt cool as well as this HE351 does. I can run it hard in valet mode and stay under 1200* even with a load. Full fuel (which is only around 350hp) it will still get hot, but it takes a little longer for the gauge to peg on full throttle runs than it did with the stock HX35 or HX40.

Like Blue said, you are probably best off to just run a hybrid 35 as far as being simple to swap out. I really like my HE351, but if it had been the same cost wise to go with a hybrid 35; that would probably be the better route.