hypothetical rebuild question

I am not afraid of a sleeve, unless the cylinder was cracked prior to sleeving.
If it were up to me though, we'd bore to .020 and replace the pistons. Otherwise, if the old pistons are being reused, I'd hone and re ring those cylinders.

Last edited:
Much agreed. I am way to anal to just do 1. If the block is already at the machine shop to get 1, might as well do the other 5. Plus it would give me piece of mind knowing all 6 are done instead of 1 and something i didn't touch and should have, failed.

I just had one of the holes in my block sleeved as it would've taken 1.00mm overbore to clean up. It was $200 to sleeve the hole. To drop another $1k on a 'may as well' seems frivolous. If people are worried about 1 hole being sleeved due to a strength issue, why would a block with 6 sleeves be more desirable?

how thick are the sleeves being installed? I personally have never done one but would like to learn more about it

I am not a fan of sleeving based on my experience with another engine platform. The expansion and vibration bothers me.
There is no reason they can't do what they need to do though.

I'd sleeve it, and I'd buy it sleeved. IMHO Cummins wouldnt use the single cylinder repair technique if it wasnt sound. If a performance engine, would want to know that it was balanced and notched the same as the other 5. If its a puller, you'll have opportunity to bore and replace the whole set once you burn some more anyway.