hypothetical rebuild question

DISTURBED

YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
So let's say your rebuilding a engine. Could be 12, 24, CR or 6.7 doesn't matter. Lets say it melted a piston and messed up the hole. What would you be more inclined to do. Bore it .020 over or put a sleeve in and keep it std bore? To ad to the question would you buy a over hauled engine/short block knowing it was bored or sleeved and if you would which one or both and if you wouldnt why. I've done both and really have no preference. Just want some others opinions.

Last edited:
I would build a sleeved standard bore 12v. If I have to build an engine that's what I want. I would spend more money on the head and turbo setup than the short block. Deck plate honed, girdle, carrilloe rods, coated bearings, maybe a roller cam. Then deck out the head with some fancy stuff. Maybe a Hamilton head. I would also get everything powder coated including the block before the machine work/assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know of one. 020 over CR build that halted because Pistons were cost prohibitive. Not the case for many I'm sure.

But would a sleeved block scare away potential buyers?

my motor is .040 over. I don't care. To me .020 is just as good as stock bore. If one hole had to be sleeved that wouldn't effect me too much either. Only way I'd be leery is if one hole was a different bore from another.

For me it would be how the sleeved motor was done. IE how much meat was left at the bottom of the bore. Then was the whole block decked or just the sleeve cut to the stock surface.

I run a sleeved block. #6 hole. Of the 2 bigger tunes I have 1 is 980hp and the other is 1123hp. I run the 980 all the time, but don't have billet rods so I stay away from the 1123. The fact that it has a sleeve isn't a concern. $.02

I would shy away from a sleeved block , I've seen too many botched sleeve jobs .

Yeah the one hole sleeved usually throw's it into the pass catagory when I'm looking.

Pressing a sleeve in usually distorts the adjoining cylinders, honing them true usually gets them on the high side of spec.

I would have sleeved each bore, sleeving one doesn't make much sense to me either.

The short block I got from Blacks had one sleeve in it, no issues here.

I can't think of the name of sleeves right now, but my instructor from school was telling me about a guy he knew that rebuilt 2 24v marine motors and the owner didn't want to spend the money on new blocks, so he had them bored and installed oversized sleeves and had them bored and honed to spec. He was a engineer for cummins for a while and said if he ever had to rebuild the motor in his truck that's the way he would go. He said the sleeves he used were a lot harder and held up to the heat better. But I didn't get too in depth with him on it so I'm not sure what they used. Might be pretty dumb but that was just what I was told. Personally I'd rather just have a bored block. Not saying anything is wrong with sleeving one but it's just personal preference for me

I would have sleeved each bore, sleeving one doesn't make much sense to me either.

Why? 1 cylinder is messed up the other 5 are perfect. Why waist the money to sleeve 5 good cylinders back to what they already are?

I think the best way to sell blocks with (1) sleeve is to build one for a high performance 3.0 motor, leave it a wet block, and see which cylinder fails first in competition use. If the sleeved hole fails, you'll have a tough time selling sleeve repaired blocks for high performance work. If the others fail first, you have a great marketing tool to sell sleeve repaired blocks!!!

I can see maybe the one hole sleeve turning people away, but I think all 6 would be more ideal.

I don't think the sleeve itself is an issue as there are plenty of engines out there that are wet sleeves from the factory.

Much agreed. I am way to anal to just do 1. If the block is already at the machine shop to get 1, might as well do the other 5. Plus it would give me piece of mind knowing all 6 are done instead of 1 and something i didn't touch and should have, failed.

Much agreed. I am way to anal to just do 1. If the block is already at the machine shop to get 1, might as well do the other 5. Plus it would give me piece of mind knowing all 6 are done instead of 1 and something i didn't touch and should have, failed.

Pretty much what I was gonna say. I'm one of those people that are "why your in there might as well" type of thinking.

So At the expense of doing 6 sleeves then why not bore it .020 over? It would almost be the same money. In my original question this for mostly stock daily drivers not full blown performance engines.