I give up belt issue?

spooled mule

More slow then go...
Well about 3 months ago the truck ate the belt due to a bad tensioner. So I bought a new tensioner and gates hd belt installed all is well. Around 2 weeks later I noticed the new belt was running one rib off at the front of the fan clutch pulley. I pull it all off and check all the pulleys and the belt all seems well so I install the belt on with the warped rib out front so it runs itself back true again worked stayed fine the next 2 days after that I stopped checking it. Today I look and yet again it has walked back off by one rib this has me I have checked everything 4x over im stumped??? I really dont want to start guessing at whats causing it and waste $ on replacing good parts. So fire away all derailing and help appreciated :badidea::pop::pop: :blahblah1: Also I will try to get pictures tomorrow for better idea gathering.

My trucks are both that way. I've seen quite a few do it. I wouldn't worry as long as it doesn't squeak.

Mine was doing the same thing. Turned out previous owner replaced the alternator and didn't tighten it correctly, pulling down the spacer and the alternator could shake slightly making belt jump.

Sounds like the belt is jumping somehow. My dads had some belt issues until we put a HD gates on a went through two different tensioners. First tensioner wouldn't hold good.

Mine both have the gates tensioner. Dayco belt on one gates on the other.

Mine seems to be only walking on the ac compressor. Both balancers are good here. Been there before.

Attachments

• IMG_20121208_113950.jpg
    IMG_20121208_113950.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0
I have not checked the end play did occur that somehow it might be bent crank or thrust bearing came apart hope not. I will check the tensioner and damper again. I know it started a few months back only things in that area changed were the tensioner and belt. Worst case I will just try another tensioner and belt run it and swap belts once a year if I cant figure it out. I will snap some pics later today and upload them tonight I really wana fix it cause this sorta $hit really bothers me.

My experience has been with an alternator and/or the A/C compressor going bad and the pulleys not running true. Just remove the belt and check all pulleys for excessive play and alignment. I had an alternator with the wrong pulley ( 6 groove not 8), one where someone did not seat the pulley correctly.

Last edited:
The ac pulley has roughly 1/8in play in it that was normal without the clutch engaged I figured?

Mine used to walk one rib off the A/C pulley. I changed the alternator and that fixed the problem. So the alignment of the alternator seemed to be the issue.

Thanks for all the help I will check quickly today. I gotta wait till the weekend to really check well though.

Well then if the pulley should have no side to side its in need of changing thanks. I also wonder looking today water pump? I was looking and the water pump is a ok as far as play and being tight but it would seem more likely to cause the fan clutch issue since it is closer to that pulley? Also pics inbound in next 5min.

ubeba8ej.jpg
e6uty3e2.jpg

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I went through this a while back when I first bought my truck, when I brought it home I changed the belt because it was chewed up, drive it to get fuel and on the way home it threw the belt, replaced the belt and drove it home looked at it and at a quick glance I noticed it was walking off the ac pulley I checked the tensioner and it was shot so I replaced it along with a new belt, the belt never flew off again but, it still was walking off really badly I checked the ac pulley, alternator, water pump, dampner (replaced) and nothing it finally lead me to the fan pulley, I noticed the edges of the pulley where dinged up badly, took the pulley off and it was all messed up got a new one and put it on something still did not look right, friend of mine has a little laser tool used to check pulley alignments, and the fan pulley was still way off, removed the fan hub bracket off the block and someone replaced the bearing and must of beat it in so hard with a hammer it bent the bracket

Thanks another thing I will check on saturday keep it coming I wana kill this bird in a day.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

So someone pried the fan hub out to keep it from moving to get the fan nut loose?