I think I killed my DTT 47RE

Yea being the newest transmission you will find is 13 years old. Does look like you need a new sunshell, and sun gear.
Did you look at the steel planetary? It has the strangest wear pattern on one gear only.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

It's actually hard to photograph. It's just that one gear out of the 5
74d92594a8f0ec4246a98723b9c82912.jpg
a18ef2a7366ee8b50c90ad0cfd4b6b9c.jpg
677cf03fb3cf8d5dec214bf5b7f1f752.jpg

It really does look like it missed a final machining step. It and the sun gear have the same wear pattern.
That top pic with the spalling is the sun gear.

Shell Assy, 48RE Driving (w/6 Holes For Washer) (.240" Thk At The Lugs) 2003-08 (Contains; # 622,243,and 2 884)

Can I run the thicker 48 sun shell in the 47?

Shell Assy, 48RE Driving (w/6 Holes For Washer) (.240" Thk At The Lugs) 2003-08 (Contains; # 622,243,and 2 884)

Can I run the thicker 48 sun shell in the 47?

Yes, I just got one put in mine but I think machining is required in some cases.

OD section looked good to me. OD directs all still have the brands on them. The steels have some odd patterning but it's nothing. The OD clutches are dark. I'm not sure if they are glazed. Plenty of material. Maybe one of you can tell me if the coloration on them is out of norm since they look like a different style.

b65bcce7040e96e354f6d9c271e39463.jpg
dd39aa7d183b5924193bba19c46baff2.jpg

Last edited:
If the steels don't have any hot spots, 99% chance they weren't slipping. Some Raybestos and some Borg clutches have a darker green / gray color, and being soaked in ATF will darken them up

If the steels don't have any hot spots, 99% chance they weren't slipping. Some Raybestos and some Borg clutches have a darker green / gray color, and being soaked in ATF will darken them up
No, no hot spots.
The only thing I saw was patterns that look like frosted glass that were maybe 1/2" to 3/4"

I guess I'm not seeing what you're referring to as frosted. Only thing I can see on my phone look like fine machining marks

I didn't take a picture of those areas, sorry.

Found this today. Billet I had forgotten about.

Zstroken I found a thread where you were holding a drill to the inner diameter of a transmission component for a lube mod, but now I can't find which thread it was actually in. Would you be interested I'm PM'ing me what you know about lube mods?
f1dababc43dc03f4a87549f0f8b47e1c.jpg

Found this today. Billet I had forgotten about.

Zstroken I found a thread where you were holding a drill to the inner diameter of a transmission component for a lube mod, but now I can't find which thread it was actually in. Would you be interested I'm PM'ing me what you know about lube mods?
f1dababc43dc03f4a87549f0f8b47e1c.jpg

I wish I could help, I haven't opened up a transmission it probably 5 years. LOL I probably have forgotten it. LOL

Well.... I guess I will have to dig for it. I could have sworn it was you but that was two weekends ago.

Anyone else - I was looking for lube mods. I'm not even sure what it was. Just that it was from the interior out to some part of the rotating assembly.

Down in the area where the feed slot is in your direct drum. You can drill a small hole between the sealing ring locations 180* opposite of the slot.

I had a single disc DTT years ago that failed. I assume it was because the stupid lockup always came on too soon despite whatever I tried with TPS. So the engine would lug, smoke out people behind me and the line pressure was probably lower than optimal.
it would shake violently in lockup, so it was easy to spot. Just needed new converter and threw in a master rebuild kit.
Debris gets inside the valve body and hides in there, its hard to get out without taking it all apart and cleaning each piece

Also I have since put a switch on the dash to lock out the damn lockup.

Last edited:
I had issues with the DTT single shuddering. It got swapped for a DPC triple when the trans went in the Ford.

My VB got sent to FP and is now done. The triple disc went to Phil but I haven't called him and he hasn't contacted me yet.

The rest of this trans was clean. I think the TES295 fluid helped keep it from becoming a volcano.

I bought a case of fluid from power driven. gonna see if that helps this issue I have with the trans being so cold-blooded in winter.
I upgraded to a DPC 4 disc after the DTT blew up. Nice unit I just try to take it easy with the hard launches in lockup.
Id swear the DTT unit seemed to pull better with less heat than the DPC. Even with the low stall converter I just about need aux coolers when I get stuck in traffic.

Last edited: